Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-02-2018, 12:53 PM

Default Preferred style/brand of release for hunting

Hey guys, been thinking it's time for a new release since I'm still using the first one I ever bought 9 years ago. There seems to be a few different styles gaining popularity and I'm curious as to what kinds you use for hunting/practice. Currently have the Fletcher. 44 Caliper which has been awesome but it's time for a new one.
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:50 PM

Winn has a release that you hold the trigger and just release your hand to fire. I love it
Old 07-03-2018, 04:03 AM

i saved my pennies for a carter thumb release and boy i was not disappointed they are smooth and consistent and quit i plan on hunting with it for elk season. i went with the whisper i wanted the open style release hook instead of the ones that fully close on the d loop. amazon has good nock off thumb releases they're around 50$ and pretty good for the price good enough to practice with and decide if you like a thumb release. WOLF is the company that makes them
Old 07-04-2018, 07:02 AM

I use the TRU Ball Short N Sweet. Has a short pull trigger and a hook style release. I used to use the caliper style until it developed a metal burr on the caliper and wore out my D Loop and I punched myself in the face when it broke
Old 07-04-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
I use the TRU Ball Short N Sweet. Has a short pull trigger and a hook style release. I used to use the caliper style until it developed a metal burr on the caliper and wore out my D Loop and I punched myself in the face when it broke
Well that's good honest feedback right there! I use a Tru-ball caliper style and thanks, now I'll think about a burr and punching myself every time I pull...

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewolf View Post
Well that's good honest feedback right there! I use a Tru-ball caliper style and thanks, now I'll think about a burr and punching myself every time I pull...
Bloody nose and swollen lip was enough for me to switch. Pulling 80lbs, it really hurts when that force smacks you in the face haha
Old 07-04-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBowman View Post
i saved my pennies for a carter thumb release and boy i was not disappointed they are smooth and consistent and quit i plan on hunting with it for elk season. i went with the whisper i wanted the open style release hook instead of the ones that fully close on the d loop. amazon has good nock off thumb releases they're around 50$ and pretty good for the price good enough to practice with and decide if you like a thumb release. WOLF is the company that makes them
Awesome! This was the style I've been considering and was hoping I would get a little feedback.
My only concern is that my clumsy ass might lose it somewheres along the way...the wrist strap sure comes in handy for folks like me
I think I'll buy one of the wolf ones off amazon and give it a try and if I like I'll get a better one before september.
Thanks!
Old 07-04-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
That doesn't sound enjoyable at all. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 07-04-2018, 03:41 PM

I shot for years using wrist strap caliper releases. Mostly single calipers from Scott. A few years ago I switched to the hook style wrist strap I think it’s the Scott silver horn. Loved it for a bit, but wanted more! I started buying used hinge style releases. I like them, but with my bow, I’m drawing too long to use them properly. I’m at the shortest draw setting already, so unfortunately I can’t adjust it.

Just this spring, I bought the nock 2 it from nock on archery. It’s made by carter. I think it cost like $295.00 Canadian ($225 USD) shipped from their website. It’s more than I paid for three other releases combined, but I absolutely love it. I think I could still benefit from shortening my draw length, but I need to come up with funds for a new bow before I can do that.

I hope you find one that works for you. Definitely incorporate some kind of wrist strap, some people have a tendency to let go of the hand held releases when they’re just learning, and that will wreck your bow, and your expensive new release. Try a bunch of different ones out, if you can. It seems that thumb button releases are pretty hard to find at retail stores, here in Canada, so that might not be an option. However, Archerytalk.com often has used releases for a fraction of the new price, but it can sometimes be tough getting the seller to ship to Canada. And you also need PayPal.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:45 PM

I use a Scott Echo for everything. Hunting/3D/Target, shoot it like a back tension it’s more consistent than I am.

LC
Old 07-04-2018, 06:03 PM

Truball Hunter 3 with the wriststrap attachment. It’s a thumb button handheld. I picked up the wriststrap attachment because on warm days I could see the release accidentally slipping out of my hands one day with sweaty hands. Never did but it only has to happen once. Otherwise, it’s been working well for me. I have only hunted with this release, no 3d or comp
Old 07-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Short n sweet hook is what I use as well. I like the fact I don't have to look at the string to hook the d-loop, I can keep my eye on the animal.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:06 AM

I have been using a Scott Echo for the last couple of years. I like it a lot. I use it for hunting and competition. Extremely adjustable and reliable.

I like the self closing caliper style because once it is on the loop it will never come off. I can change calls, range my target or shoo a fly or mosquito away and still be ready to pull my bow.

As far as the caliper wearing the loop, it will happen with any style, any brand. Like your arrows you should inspect your release and loop for potential problems on a regular basis so you don't get a failure. A loop wearing and breaking does not happen in 1 shot. Awareness is the key here.

Jmo,

Norm
Old 07-05-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post

As far as the caliper wearing the loop, it will happen with any style, any brand. Like your arrows you should inspect your release and loop for potential problems on a regular basis so you don't get a failure. A loop wearing and breaking does not happen in 1 shot. Awareness is the key here.

Jmo,

Norm
I check my d loop carefully every time I shoot now haha
Old 07-05-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I check my d loop carefully every time I shoot now haha
Me too, when I first started shooting a loop I loosened a couple of teeth, now I watch, lol.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2018, 09:40 PM

Default Tru-Fire

Ive shot the Tru-Fire 3-D Hunter thumb release for years and now just got the Edge 4 finger thumb release. I really like the 4 finger releases over the wrist straps.....clips onto my D loop and is out of the way when in the stand....just worried that it might fall to the ground but hasn't happened in the 15 years I've been bowhunting though.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:10 AM

Quote:

Same here. Great rig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2018, 10:19 PM

I am using Scott releases the double caliber ones. Best advice I can give you if you get a wrist strap version is to buy two of the exact same ones. Carry one in your pack and one on your wrist tucked in your sleeve. Before I bought the second one I fell down in the mud release stuck and clogged with dirt and no way to clean it wrecked the whole day. Two seasons ago my buddy stocked in on a deer and his wouldn’t close properly. I second release sure comes in handy.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:32 AM

I use a tru-fire hardcore foldback release. The part I really was sold on was the adjustability of this release. You can adjust pretty much everything in it right down to trigger pull. Also the price is not half bad either

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/39110...k-foldback-max
Old 08-12-2018, 12:49 PM

I messed around with a number of trigger style releases when I first started shooting and I settled on the Spot Hogg Wise Guy and I've been using it for 4 years now and it has been an excellent release and I haven't had a single issue with it.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:47 PM

Default Scott Talon

I shoot the Scott Talon and like it a lot. It is the hook style and is very adjustable and consistent for me. The one thing I would change is it having a smaller barrel and connect it to the wrist strap like the Echo. I am thinking of trying the Carter Like Mike as I am partial to the hook style releases and have heard good things about it.

Morb
Old 08-14-2018, 05:37 PM

Jim Fletcher 3 D fully adjustable trigger/jaw release.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
I am using Scott releases the double caliber ones. Best advice I can give you if you get a wrist strap version is to buy two of the exact same ones. Carry one in your pack and one on your wrist tucked in your sleeve. Before I bought the second one I fell down in the mud release stuck and clogged with dirt and no way to clean it wrecked the whole day. Two seasons ago my buddy stocked in on a deer and his wouldn’t close properly. I second release sure comes in handy.
Was just out hog hunting in Saskatchewan in July. Spring from my Scott Silver Horn vanished. I had a second Scott Silver Horn which quickly became my primary after 15 minutes of range time. Just today I received 2 new springs in the mail free of charge from Scott. Always carry a back-up