Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-02-2008, 02:48 PM

Default Anyone got Goose Hunting Tips

I tried goose hunting for the first time last year. I went alone with 2 dozen deeks and some camo burlap that I placed on the edge of the field, covered with straw, and crawled under. I had never used a caller before either and gave it my best effort with limited success. I got 4 Canada's.

Lots of you guys seem to be pretty successful here. Any tips on how I can improve my set-up this year? Should I continue to use the caller even though I may not be doing a great job with it? Any suggestions on decoy/blind set-up and placement?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:05 PM

A layout blind is a wise investment. You'll want to be set up where the geese want to be, which is typically the middle of the field. On the X as they say.

Make sure you mud you're layout blind before you head out, using mud made from soil in the area where you hunt. Or you can cheat like me and use krylon camo spray paint. The purpose of the mudding is to reduce the shine off the layout blind. Don't forget to stubble your blind in the field.

Watch the birds when you are scouting, see how they are positioned in the field. Try to set your dekes out the same way. I usually set mine in a modified J pattern facing the wind, leaving a big open landing zone out front of the blind.

What kind of call do you use? I use a GK Canuck short reed. I found I got a lot better at calling by practicing, typically in the truck when I'm driving around. Shawn Stahl's Honker Talk is a very good instruction video. I don't use many honks mianly clucks and growls, but if they are locked in and coming don't bother. A goose flag is a very good tool, the movement gets the birds attention long before they would hear your call.

Remeber to keep your head down in the blind and keep still, if you have a face mask it's a good idea to wear it.

Happy Hunting.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:45 PM

Getting to the exact spot the geese were on the most recent previous feeding is crutial. Also remember geese normally dont land in hollows, they like to land on the higher ground and may feed into the low spots.
Geese prefer to land into the wind.
Dont over call.
Leave a place for them to land in your decoy spread.

Oh ya, dont get mixed up in waterfowling it will ruin your bow hunting plans.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-02-2008, 09:36 PM

Default location?

I hope your not using a crappy electric caller...as it seemed in the wording of your first post.... Biggest tip i can give you is stay away from corners of the field, get in the middle.... geese seem to land away from bush or edges....dangerous for em

where u located?
Old 09-03-2008, 07:20 AM

I'm in Calgary but my buddy and I are pretty mobile. Picked up a new travel trailer this year which should make the hunts more comfortable!

No, I don't use those electric callers. I don't think you can use them anyway can you?
Old 09-03-2008, 10:08 AM

You are correct you can not use electric callers for canada geese they started a new rule this year you can use an electric caller for snow geese only and you can not have any canada geese decoys in you're spread at all when using a caller.

I suggest if you do not call well to only call when they are out a ways once they get in close to stop and this time of year you should not need much calling to get them in movement like a flag or wind moveable decoys are awesome to add to you're spread and you need tyo set up as close as possible to were they were landing in the night before I often wait till they leave the field then run out with a stake and mark the spot so it is not as hard to find in the dark the next morning.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:44 AM

Default FIrst tme Good

If it was your first time and you got 4 , your doing good ..

If your hunting in the morning than spot in the morning ...

Set up in the exact spot they were in the day before and

make they dont land and move , watch them for a while ...

Keep the calling down to a minimum , when they are going away

give a couple so they notice you.... Good luck
Old 09-03-2008, 04:48 PM

first things first is know where they are, so spot them, then equipment, a good investment is a lay down blind, then your decoys, a couple dozen is decent for one person but i believe in a big spread. i use about 10 dozen right now more on the way. i lioke to call so i took the time to practice, go out and buy primos mastering the art guide to water fowl hunting. a good one for beginers is the goose flute they have.adding motion to ur decoeys is good to i like the use of the flag to get there attention. if u get urself a blind and are in the calgary area, ill be willing to take ya sometime, nuttin better then decoying birds and having them land on top of ya
Old 09-03-2008, 04:52 PM

i think jamie gots a lay down blind for a good price i picked mine up from the states at 150 each it was a steal i got the s.u.b by final approch nice blinds