Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-03-2008, 12:48 PM

Default Quick Yote Question

Hi all,

I am a new hunter (very excited about the the season). Anyways, my father inlaw has a beautiful yote fur. I want one myself.

So my question is what do I have to do? I want to shoot it myself and not just buy a fur. But do I just freeze the entire animal or do I have to skin/dry etc?

I live in the Edmonton area and have looked at the Halford pricing, but I don't know what to do.

Thank you in advance.

Dave
Old 09-03-2008, 03:19 PM

Hi dkrhome,

Yes! you have to prepare the animal first before you can get it tanned. You will need to skin it, then flesh the pelt, the next step is to wash the pelt if you don't want to stink up your house, but you don't have too, then you put it on a board(stretcher). You let dry skin out in a cool place for approximately 24 hours and then you turn it fur out, tack it again on the board and let dry for 3 to 5 days (make sure you brush the hair occasionnally). When dry, remove it from the board carefully and when off shake it good to fluff the hair, it makes it poofy. You can now bring to the Alberta Trapper's Association store to get it tanned.

If you look on the net, you should easily find skinning, fleshing and boarding techniques.

There is a good post-it on the Trapping Section on this board about this:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=8277

Good luck with that.

Cabot.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:27 PM

Thanks much...this could be interesting
Old 09-03-2008, 07:46 PM

Phone Halfords. For an additional fee, they'll do most of that finicky work for you. You can just send them the frozen hide, with feet and skull still attached.
Grizz
Old 09-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Banned

It shouldn't be to difficult for you to find someone to skin this for you. To do it yourself, you'll end up with way to many Xtra holes in it. I did on my first one .. If there are any colonies close to you, give them a call. They usually have some of the boys that are real good at doing coyotes. Or maybe someone knows of a trapper who will skin and board it for you, then you can find someone to tan it for you.. Good luck .
Old 09-04-2008, 01:22 PM

For the best quality coyote fur you should also wait until they are fully prime.
Mid November to Mid January.