Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-30-2008, 05:55 AM

Default Le Crock

This is why they are thinking of giving the Mods on here shovels.....

Go to the USA and get a Pointing Lab ...If your talkin to your dog too much thats a training issue nothing to do with the huntability of the dog ..
Labs are flushers ... You have to stay close to them ....Up here in the real cover not down in that SA park ,you need a big tough dog to root those
roosters out . All I know is that I see a lot of guys with Labs shooting
a lot of pheasants in brutal cover ...And Goose and duck hunting , your on premium crack if you think any shorthair is the way to go...

And as for the turd hound he was four months old maybe , and in all fairness those show dogs are just too pretty I guess , a big rangy Brit like
WOODY( lives up to his name) couldnt help himself ... You know the french , its all about love .
And If my memory serves me well , you never shut up, yellin at that poor dog ,
for chasing rabbits , not doin this or that , thank god you only hung around for two hours ...

Heres a tip for scoutin new territory , go to the tim hortons , we found a kindly gent who put us on some pheasnt land , so a 3hr drive wasnt wasted ...

Sorry for the hijack , but sometimes you gotta put on the rubber boots and clean out the barn....

Last edited by Winch101; 08-30-2008 at 06:32 AM.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:57 AM

Ray what are you talking about I dont talk to my dogs and anyone who has hunted with me knows that. Diego wasnt much older than your Griff and your buddies dog didnt manage to get farther than 60 yards. I guess when you hunt over that boot licker 60 yards is a big running dog. I know I wouldnt call him a big running dogs especially when my puppy ran bigger than he did.

I guess you can call him what you want all I know is that "show" dog found all the birds that day, without him you guys would still be walking in circles looking for birds, trying to keep that britt off your dog. That guy must not have pointed you in the right direction because I remeber a phone call the next night where you stated you got a couple up out of a spot I told you about, but couldnt hit anything.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:21 AM

Default The Honey hole

Again you never shut up ...and we never saw a pheasant or got close enough to those huns to get a shot ... We werent out bird watching ...

We shot a lot of Pheasants over woody , he ranges nicely , ..hes a BRITT
You dont think were going to tell you about good spot right in your own back yard...I think on one of your post you said you shot 400 birds in a year
we dont want you .. cleaning the area out ... Diego was almost a year old
and a great looking dog , I dont think you can take much credit for luck
Some dogs are great despite their owners, just shows you when the drive is there ,it can make up for a lot of shortfalls ...

When Cohod and I the boys are down in your area , we,ll give you a call
have a coffee. Maybe you can have your boy do some tricks for us .
A test judge told me , you think the dog should know your left hand from your right ..and you kinda spin out when he doesnt...

I love a good spin out ...
Old 08-30-2008, 07:39 AM

Sweet mother of.....

Who gives a rats azz who's dog screwed who....
Old 08-30-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindalbakken View Post
Ricardo the Sage Grouse are a very large member of the grouse species weighing 5 - 8 lbs. They are on the endangered species list in Alberta and have not had a hunting season on them in years. In the limited area of Alberta where they do exist there are severe restrictions on working dogs on them during much of the year. There is no hunting season in the province for Chukar Partridge. They are not even mentioned in the hunting regulations. For all intents and purposes in this province they are considered domestic poultry.

As to hunting the rest of the bird species listed, they do exist in the province but the habitat that they are found in varies widely and some species do not exist within hundreds of miles of each other (eg. Ptarmigan and Pheasant). None of the species enjoy a generalized distribution across the province. In the right areas of the province you can have good success hunting Pheasant, Sharptail, Ruffed and Spruce Grouse and Hungarian Partridge, but there is no place I know of that you could hunt a mixed bag of all these species in one day. The Blue Grouse and Ptarmigan inhabit very localized habitats and the population densities are such that unless you know the whereabouts of the "hotspots" your contacts will be very limited.

As for working with a pointing dog, all of these species can be "pointed". I think that the Sharptail are the most difficult for a pointing dog to work on, and if you are wanting to hunt in a traditional manner gunning birds flown in front of a staunch dog the Ptarmigan and Spruce Grouse would be very trying. Rocks and sticks are a reasonable second choice for killing these birds
Really appreciate this info.

Thanks Vindalbakken
Old 08-30-2008, 09:33 AM

Talking Partridges ??

Anyone see any partridges ???
Old 08-30-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy View Post
Anyone see any partridges ???
Not since about 1974 when the last show aired bringing real tears to my eyes Can't remember what I wanted to end first, that show or Disco music!

But if you really want to see some Partridges...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJYSu2OVCGM

...kind of has an Eminem beat to it
Old 08-31-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
Again you never shut up ...and we never saw a pheasant or got close enough to those huns to get a shot ... We werent out bird watching ...

We shot a lot of Pheasants over woody , he ranges nicely , ..hes a BRITT
You dont think were going to tell you about good spot right in your own back yard...I think on one of your post you said you shot 400 birds in a year
we dont want you .. cleaning the area out ... Diego was almost a year old
and a great looking dog , I dont think you can take much credit for luck
Some dogs are great despite their owners, just shows you when the drive is there ,it can make up for a lot of shortfalls ...

When Cohod and I the boys are down in your area , we,ll give you a call
have a coffee. Maybe you can have your boy do some tricks for us .
A test judge told me , you think the dog should know your left hand from your right ..and you kinda spin out when he doesnt...

I love a good spin out ...
Ray you have no idea what your talking about. once again with the amount of hunters I have taken out your the only one with a problem and your buddy and his dog are the only 2 I wouldnt have back.

You were ready and willing to come right back not 4 months ago but you got a chip on your shoulder.

Once again I no longer living in the Taber area. You and your boy Cohod can hunt all you want I know all my honey holes are exclusive so your hunting wont interfere with my hunting.

Maybe now that you have a real hunting dog (you dont even have that yet and you had to buy a started dog, couldnt even train your own) you might have more luck.

Tony_S you obviously dont own a hunting dog or have never had one interfere with your dogs performance. If you had you would be singing the same tune. Although maybe its your dog that is the dog screwing up everyone elses dog and wont accept it.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:19 PM

I don't use a dog at all but I put up maybe 30 family's of huns on Friday. Most were 9-11 in size largest 19 smallest 3.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanGSP View Post
Ray you have no idea what your talking about. once again with the amount of hunters I have taken out your the only one with a problem and your buddy and his dog are the only 2 I wouldnt have back.

You were ready and willing to come right back not 4 months ago but you got a chip on your shoulder.

Once again I no longer living in the Taber area. You and your boy Cohod can hunt all you want I know all my honey holes are exclusive so your hunting wont interfere with my hunting.

Maybe now that you have a real hunting dog (you dont even have that yet and you had to buy a started dog, couldnt even train your own) you might have more luck.

Tony_S you obviously dont own a hunting dog or have never had one interfere with your dogs performance. If you had you would be singing the same tune. Although maybe its your dog that is the dog screwing up everyone elses dog and wont accept it.

WOW!
I sure hope you start down that road to man-hood soon ryan...at this pace you wont even make it to half the man you think you are.

cohod
Old 08-31-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
WTF??..

Your whining arrogant punk arse isn't worth the time or the effort....I'm done here....

Tony
Old 08-31-2008, 05:33 PM

I for one couldn't give a crap who has what dog. To each his own!!! Ryan, could you agree with the fact that every dog is different? some good some bad. I personally would want a dog for all seasons. I may bird hunt 3-4 times a year for partridge. I have never used a dog and usually get my limit. It is the hunter not the dog who makes the hunt. you have to be able to shoot and find the right areas that hold birds, correct?? It is nice to watch the dogs work the field, thats for sure. I personally would definetly would go with labs. I have had great experiences with them and never seen one bad tempred. I don't really care much for the look and feel of the GSP's and GWP's. I find them kinda ugly. IMHO there is no better looking and acting dog than a chocolate lab. Someday I will claim ownership to one.

My $.02

now I brace for the wrath of ryan.......
Old 08-31-2008, 05:58 PM

Ofcourse every dog is different. To you it may be the hunter. But for me its the dog that makes the hunt. Nothing makes a hunt worth while than watching a stylish and finished dog go about his work.

Buy what you wish but like a Isaid no lab is going to hold a candle to any of the continentals for versatility. They really lack in the field aspect of things because of their range. No a GSP, GWP, or Pudelpointer is going to come close to a lab in the water but they will definatly give them a good run for their money.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:00 PM

Default Limit of what ...

I would guess there is only one limit that has been reached and its this

board and its members limit for the that manure spreader that is your computer .

I think most sentiments on here have been covered by TonyS last post .

Anybody whos been to potatochipville knows that there aint enough cover to put together a good bush ... so quit your BSiiiiiiin ...
I think your post about shooting 400 plus birds a year set off most smellometers . You got a show dog who just happens to know what the odd bird looks like ....

There was aguy on here a couple of years ago ,he hunted every where ,
shot the biggest of everything , caught nothin but big fish all over the world ,
he'd done it all ... turned out he lived in an apartment in woodbine , didnt own a gun , didnt fish and when his meds were off was somewhat dillusionary . Now I know human cloning isnt suppose to be legal but it could
happen or twins seperated at birth ....
I wish you luck with your program and be nice to your counsellor....
Old 08-31-2008, 10:03 PM

LOL Ok Ray you dont like it down there great more birds for me.

Call him what you want, he has the titles unlike your dog, and he was the one who walked all over both the dogs you and your buddy brought. He wasnt 11 months old and the other one had how many seasons under his belt? The britt that is.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:27 PM

Although this is better than any program on television, wouldn't it be better to start a thread on " who's dogs are better, and I can out hunt anyone on the planet " rather than hi jack two threads on this board with all this bickering? Just my 2 cents, but to the guys that started these threads, it must pi$$ them off that they aren't getting the answers they were asking for.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw'd View Post
Although this is better than any program on television, wouldn't it be better to start a thread on " who's dogs are better, and I can out hunt anyone on the planet " rather than hi jack two threads on this board with all this bickering? Just my 2 cents, but to the guys that started these threads, it must pi$$ them off that they aren't getting the answers they were asking for.

X2 outlaw. It is really a blast to listen to the nonsense. I think ryan should find a board about is treasured GSP's and stay there until he has something to say.

as for the original question. I would imagine you wouldn't have troubles finding hun's. If you have found them before, chances are there will be some there again. They are my favorite bird to shoot. I don't have time or money for geese anymore. and pheasant numbers are too low for me to comfortably shoot them.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:28 AM

Default Board after Board after Board

I agree and again I apologise to the original poster...

For those of you who dont know cause you dont frequent dog sites ..

our es-steamed canine expert gets the same treatment on Versatile

dogs .com , canadian hunting dog .com ....basically everywhere ....

Its just not here in Alberta that " know it alls arent liked "

apparently its world wide ....

So if we start handing out awards on here I know where the thick skinned

award is going ....its a shoo-in ...
Old 09-01-2008, 10:46 AM

Winch now your just being a liar. I am still on all those boards man and get along great with the members.. Sorry to disappoint you.

Mulecrazy you must not be looking in the right places or maybe the populations are low in Ricky but there are more than enough birds to hunt. This si why they went to a 6 week season 3 seasons ago.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:04 PM

i just got back from Sharpie hunting and we had a blast. We still found lots of birds but the covey numbers were definatly down. Not sure if the same can be said for the Grey's.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:02 AM

lots of greys all over biseiker, was there spotting and trainning the dogs, we werent there for 15 mins and the came across 3 flocks with about 10 birds in each, on flock wouldnt flush and i got a point outta the chessies fun to see foresure never thought i would use my duck dogs as upland dogs, but they are showing to be great in both, took then out with us clay shooting they retreived everyclay that broke and the ones that didnt it was a great day and a good show watching them getting the clays, its gunna be a good season
Old 09-02-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Winch now your just being a liar. I am still on all those boards man and get along great with the members.. Sorry to disappoint you.

Mulecrazy you must not be looking in the right places or maybe the populations are low in Ricky but there are more than enough birds to hunt. This si why they went to a 6 week season 3 seasons ago.
I am not looking around Rocky for birds. I grew up in the Burdett/Bow Island area and still do my bird hunting down there. 20 years ago dad said it was no problem to walk from the farm and walk a 500 yards down the ditch and have your limit. every place was the same. Not a chance nowadays around there. We always had pheasants in our farmyard when I grew up but we didn't even shoot them. We had roughly 10 acres of willows/cattails/tall grass. Dad liked the birds around so he left it for them. After selling the farm 10 years ago the new owner promply ripped it all up so he could farm the extra acres. This kind of thing has happened time and again down south. The limited cover has undoubtedly hurt the population. I say again that the population is hurting. I could easily find enough to fill my limit everyday. I choose not too as I like to see them have a chance. If you wanna see pheasants I would suggest a trip to south dakota or nebraska. It is crazy how many are there. the reason for that is COVER. With all the crp land around they basically have unlimited hiding/nesting areas.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:05 PM

seeing some good coveys in the pincher area saw a second hatch tonight lots of young greys and some sharpies can't wait to see Dakota giver. My two bits never will a lone hunter out hunt a hunting dog.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:23 AM

Mulecrazy everywhere I hunt I dont get 500 yards from the truck and am limited out. For 2 seasons now on opening day I limit 3 people out before getting that far from the truck and we let the little guys go. Maybe you need to find some different stoping grounds. I have hunted that way and can say there are some great spots to be had in that area.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:30 AM
Gone Hunting

Bird #s fluctuate, and there can be some rather large swings from year to year. Sure, there are birds around on years where theyve taken a beating, they are up against a ton of variables. They are sustainable for the most part, because they are renewable..... Ive seen quite afew huns around this country this year. Last year there was a second hatch, but im not so sure ours did again this year or not right in here?? Could be.

To the thread-half.... Give it a rest already.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 09-03-2008, 06:38 AM

Default Limits within Minutes

I am reposting due to the gentle and always diplomatic urging of the moderators

my post about " you know who being you know where " Once again I state

there is a small amount of amusement being on here and if you are going to engage

in the tireless argument " whos dog is bestess" than a certain amount of thick skin is needed .

I know this is a sensitive issue and there are people who,s very existence and self esteem is dependent on their perceived knowledge and performance albeit imaginary of said animal .

Again all in jest and I can tell by the PM's entertaining to some ( kind of the "As the world turns ") or in this case stomach ) of the hunting world .

And Ryan what I meant to say was most of your information on here is redundent , obvious ,
ambiguous and unnecessary .. but I defend your right to state it ...

I think it was Mark Twain that said " It was better to be thought a fool than open your mouth and leave no doubt .....

Last edited by Winch101; 09-03-2008 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:43 AM

Ryan, maybe I worded it wrong. What I was getting at is the pheasant numbers are not even close to what they used to be. absolutely there are great areas. I know a lot of them myself. I would rather there be a ton of good places with a lot more birds. I just choose not to hunt them is all.

Packhuntr, I couldnt agree more. One will find enough huns to fill your limit. Some years it just takes a little more work. I can't wait to knock a few to the ground myself.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:05 AM

Talking Glenmore park...

My wife, dog and I took a little stroll about a month ago and accidentally put up a couple of Huns.

But we were in Glenmore Park in South West Calgary, and I am fairly sure all the people in the houses there would find me shooting in their backyard to be tremendously uncool...