Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-18-2008, 07:20 PM

Default 7up, water, salt. Pike Cooking recipes

I almost forgot about this, as it was during my last trip a fellow fishermen told me about it.

He said he hadn't tried it yet, but it supposedly makes Jack fish, taste like lobster. Thats hard to imagine, but next time I get a keeper I might try it.

1 part 7 up
1 part H2O
some salt
I'd imagine you get it hot, like you would oil, then drop them in. I don't think you'd batter them, but who knows.

Anyone have any experiance with this? Or have any good batter, spice or cooking tricks?
Old 06-18-2008, 09:46 PM

Wound up several years ago at a floating lodge just off the mouth of the Nass River, ocean outlet in BC. Weather turned and we wound up staying a couple more days than we had to pay for. The cook was a full-blood local native, very good. One of the things he flashed up for us was good-sized chunks of boneless chinook simmered in salted water. Nothing else. I was amazed at the flavor - very firm, puffed up and begging for a little butter. We still do this at home, as springs aren't nearly my favorite eating salmon except for lox. Works great with big pike too, and burbot (our "lingcod") can't be beat cooked this way and then broiled a bit with garlic butter. Poor man's lobster, all right!
Old 06-20-2008, 05:24 PM

Default Missing Ingredient To Lobster Jack!!!!

I have spoken to many a Saskatchewan resident, who assured me of this theory that Jack can taste like Lobster. Usually, the secret to success was the fact that they had first consumed plenty of beer before their culinary exploits. Next secret was there was no lobster around to compare it to.

Drewski
Old 06-21-2008, 01:46 PM

We call it poor mans lobster. Just add a little salt (preferably sea salt) to a pot of water, once it boils just drop in your chunks of fish. Once they float for 30 seconds or so they are ready. THey will cook amazingly fast. We also dip them in melted butter with garlic. Have tried this with Jack and Burbot. WOW - Even impressed my mother in law.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:40 PM

Default here ya go boys,from cooks.com

POOR MAN'S LOBSTER

3 qts. water
1 med. onion
Salt
1/2 c. lemon juice
3 stalks celery
3 lbs. Northern pike, cut in 2 inch pieces
1/2 lb. butter
Garlic salt
Paprika

Place water, onion, salt, lemon juice and celery into a 4 quart pan and bring to a boil. Add pike and reboil 3 minutes longer.
Drain and place fish on cookie sheet. Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with garlic salt and paprika and broil 2 minutes. Serve with melted butter
Old 06-21-2008, 04:12 PM

That sounds tasty, thats for sure. Thanks
Old 06-26-2008, 05:11 PM

Default lobsterjacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
I have spoken to many a Saskatchewan resident, who assured me of this theory that Jack can taste like Lobster. Usually, the secret to success was the fact that they had first consumed plenty of beer before their culinary exploits. Next secret was there was no lobster around to compare it to.

Drewski
yes , after a few pils or bohs , those jacks can taste like whatever you want them to be.