Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-30-2018, 11:13 AM

Default only 500 fish in Beaumout pond?

because of no money or just no fish to stock?
Old 05-30-2018, 12:04 PM

Probably because there is never anyone fishing there (sarcasm). If anything, they could have upped the stocking numbers.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:15 PM

Not saying you shouldn't get more but there is a decrease on average through out the province. What I would like to see is the general limit reduced to 3 fish each. Or better yet a bait ban..
Old 05-30-2018, 12:26 PM

Yeah, I agree with lowering the limits. I live close to the pond and would like to take my son there, but it is usually quite busy. I have no problem with other people keeping fish from Beaumont four seasons pond, but I personally have no need to keep trout from there. In fact, because these trout are not put in there to spawn and repopulate, it is important that fish are harvested but on that note, I think ponds that experience the fishing pressure that this one does, should have a limit of 1.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:30 PM

I would lower the limits to one that way if you actually keep one it must be a pretty good size or people wouldn't bother taking them home.

Probably still wouldn't stop the people how show up with their buckets and keep the 6"ers
Old 05-30-2018, 02:27 PM

Fake news, coyotezh! A quick check with the ACA would have told you that the pond received 1250 rainbows and 500 browns in early May and will receive another 1250 rainbows in the next short while for a total of 3000 fish. This is the same number of trout stocked at this site for many years.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
I would lower the limits to one that way if you actually keep one it must be a pretty good size or people wouldn't bother taking them home.

Probably still wouldn't stop the people how show up with their buckets and keep the 6"ers

I see numerous adults doing this every year---its for kids, not to feed your entire 4 family house.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:49 PM

McLeod, Chris84, etc,

Nice Troll to lobby for reduced limits on put and take fisheries. You obviously have a tie to SRD, and thanks for your hidden agenda.

What you REALLY WANT is not to spend any money on fish stocking programs, that way you don't need to lobby for the limit going to 3, or even 1 for that matter.

The reality is that a quality fishing experience is critical to recruiting young people to the sport. That means catching fish for young people. Because of lack of skill in fish handling, hooking mortality, bait caught fish, etc, a lot of those caught fish from put and take ponds are going to die anyway, so let the people have the opportunity to take a limit of 5 home. Most won't anyhow.

Its just money, and for the amounts that are wasted by the Provincial Government on a lot of other programs, there should be some available for stocking urban ponds for recreational fishing as well.

How much does the Province subsidize HORSE RACING, yet the vast majority of Albertans have never seen a horse race, or even been connected to the Sport.

Young people who are spending their time fishing are NOT doing property crime or doing drugs. You must keep it interesting, and connect the opportunity with the ability to take fish home. That is the immediate reinforcement for young people fishing.

Yes stock all the urban ponds with reasonable size trout to give a good experience to young people. That is what is more important than saving the Fisheries Department a few bucks so that some Biologist can report that they saved money on their Budget.

Drewski
Old 05-30-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
McLeod, Chris84, etc,

Nice Troll to lobby for reduced limits on put and take fisheries. You obviously have a tie to SRD, and thanks for your hidden agenda.

What you REALLY WANT is not to spend any money on fish stocking programs, that way you don't need to lobby for the limit going to 3, or even 1 for that matter.

The reality is that a quality fishing experience is critical to recruiting young people to the sport. That means catching fish for young people. Because of lack of skill in fish handling, hooking mortality, bait caught fish, etc, a lot of those caught fish from put and take ponds are going to die anyway, so let the people have the opportunity to take a limit of 5 home. Most won't anyhow.

Its just money, and for the amounts that are wasted by the Provincial Government on a lot of other programs, there should be some available for stocking urban ponds for recreational fishing as well.

How much does the Province subsidize HORSE RACING, yet the vast majority of Albertans have never seen a horse race, or even been connected to the Sport.

Young people who are spending their time fishing are NOT doing property crime or doing drugs. You must keep it interesting, and connect the opportunity with the ability to take fish home. That is the immediate reinforcement for young people fishing.

Yes stock all the urban ponds with reasonable size trout to give a good experience to young people. That is what is more important than saving the Fisheries Department a few bucks so that some Biologist can report that they saved money on their Budget.

Drewski
I'm guessing you like to keep fish? When I took my kids fishing we kept very few fish, maybe a meal every ten trips. Letting fish go was NEVER an issue for them. Catching fish was the big deal and I explained to them we were letting them go so we could catch them the next time. Again never an issue. I think the keep fish brigade likes to hide behind kids.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-30-2018, 07:29 PM

How is keeping five fish that are barely six inches a "quality" fishery. Reducing the limits or increasing the size / slot sizes will lead to larger fish. I would trade a dozen tiny ones for fighting one good one.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
McLeod, Chris84, etc,

Drewski
Hi Drewski,

I am pretty sure you misunderstood my post. I want to attract young people to fishing, I have three young kids, the older two are currently learning to fish. It is pretty hard to keep the kids interested in going to the pond when most of the fish are gone by mid to late June. When you have a pond that small with immense fishing pressure, it gets fished out pretty quick.

Chris
Old 05-31-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I'm guessing you like to keep fish? When I took my kids fishing we kept very few fish, maybe a meal every ten trips. Letting fish go was NEVER an issue for them. Catching fish was the big deal and I explained to them we were letting them go so we could catch them the next time. Again never an issue. I think the keep fish brigade likes to hide behind kids.
I'm with you, my kids and I have no problem keeping fish, but we let the majority go. Catching fish is for sure a big deal. My son has no interest in keeping them, he doesn't like eating fish....but he is the first to brag when he catches more than anyone else on the boat. My daughter enjoys the whole experience, she will even help me clean and cook the fish when we do keep them. If anything, I would think that lowering the limits on a trout pond located in a family park, will attract more families and allow them an opportunity to catch more.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:00 AM

Default Reinforcement of the experience

No one ever talks about a "hole in two", or three for that matter.

Kids see a concrete result in bringing home fish. Yes they are 6 inches and taste like fish pellets, but the point is that they want to bring something home to mom, or dad, etc.

Instead of limiting the number on urban ponds, for those who choose to keep fish, limit the adults. No kid fishing with you, no fishing. An Adult can go elsewhere.

But I really hate hearing of the continuing erosion of the limits especially on a put and take fishery. There are no quality Beaumont Beauties. Most won't over winter. Put them in, and take them out.

As for the SRD agenda of no retention at all, look at the current regs. Yes I do eat some fish. Nothing wrong with it and it is part of the experience.

Don't feed their agenda of no retention at all for sport fishermen.

Drewski
Old 05-31-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:

Kids see a concrete result in bringing home fish. Yes they are 6 inches and taste like fish pellets, but the point is that they want to bring something home to mom, or dad, etc.

Instead of limiting the number on urban ponds, for those who choose to keep fish, limit the adults. No kid fishing with you, no fishing. An Adult can go elsewhere.

But I really hate hearing of the continuing erosion of the limits especially on a put and take fishery. There are no quality Beaumont Beauties. Most won't over winter. Put them in, and take them out.

As for the SRD agenda of no retention at all, look at the current regs. Yes I do eat some fish. Nothing wrong with it and it is part of the experience.

Don't feed their agenda of no retention at all for sport fishermen.

Drewski
Hi Drewski,

Yeah I agree with the limiting adults fishing there and allowing kids to keep the 5 fish. I really don't care how it can be fixed, I just know with the current limits, it gets mostly fished out by late June. My kids, kids friends and nieces/nephews don't care about keeping the fish. They are more disappointed when they can't catch any. I have no intention of feeding any agenda that leads to zero retention, as I mentioned above....I keep fish, I eat fish, I release a lot of fish. I have no problem with anyone harvesting them. As a matter of fact, I feel that there are some fisheries right now with zero retention or close to zero retention that need some harvesting to balance the fish population because they are getting stunted. I am merely stating my opinion that this particular body of water needs to be addressed.

Chris
Old 05-31-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris84 View Post
Hi Drewski,
It is pretty hard to keep the kids interested in going to the pond when most of the fish are gone by mid to late June. When you have a pond that small with immense fishing pressure, it gets fished out pretty quick.

Chris
A good part of the reason that most of the fish are gone by mid-June is the 4 cormorants there eating 4 or 5 fish a day each.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSL View Post
A good part of the reason that most of the fish are gone by mid-June is the 4 cormorants there eating 4 or 5 fish a day each.
Haha, you are definitely right, it is a great place for an easy meal for the cormorants. They have it figured out
Old 05-31-2018, 04:41 PM

With all those geese in that pond, crapping in that shallow warm water, I can't imagine why anyone would want to keep anything out of there anyway. Fun to catch, but I'd never eat a trout out of there.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:50 PM
Banned

Quote:

Drewski
Kids only want to bring fish home if YOU make bringing fish home the important part of fishing. It is always the parents that make bringing fish home the important part of fishing.

If you emphasize the "fun" of fishing and that the next time they go fishing the fish will be bigger and the fight even more fun that will become the priority for the kids. I have four sons who grew up with catch and release and couldn't care less about bringing fish home.

Keep fish if you like but please don't try and convince anyone that bringing fish home is what is really important to kids.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Kids only want to bring fish home if YOU make bringing fish home the important part of fishing. It is always the parents that make bringing fish home the important part of fishing.

If you emphasize the "fun" of fishing and that the next time they go fishing the fish will be bigger and the fight even more fun that will become the priority for the kids. I have four sons who grew up with catch and release and couldn't care less about bringing fish home.

Keep fish if you like but please don't try and convince anyone that bringing fish home is what is really important to kids.
Totally agree! Kid catches a 6 inch fish and a 16" fish then ask him which they would rather do again ...

There will never be 16 inch fish if the 6 inch ones never get to grow

Not against keeping just against keeping tiny fish.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:

Keep fish if you like but please don't try and convince anyone that bringing fish home is what is really important to kids
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^right here!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:40 AM

Somehow put and take fisheries with limited populations of stocked trout in areas of sustained pressure need to be managed to allow for sustainable harvest.

In other words stocking 500 or 50,000...if fishing pressure removes them quickly and then leaves nothing to catch...a 2 week fishery is hardly a sport. It is rather just a grocery trip.

There is a cost to stocking as well as hatchery limitations.

This year with so much winter kill combined with whirling disease fears I suspect F&W is stretched wafer thin on fish.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-01-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:

Good point.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-01-2018, 01:43 PM

Here is my take on keeping fish from put and takes.

I think in general we are doing a disservice to the new generation by blanketing the province with a limit of 5 on most local stocked ponds.

A huge numbr of kids get their first fishing experience by coming to these and for the most part they are brought there by their parents or fishing mentor.

How can we expect kids to think towards the future of conservation and sensible harvest with a ridiculous limit of 5 on these small lakes? Does this teach anything other than excess?

You want to create new generations of smart anglers that believe responsible angling is the way to go? Then reduce the limit on these places to 2 (still enough for people to have some fish for dinner) and perhaps we can save some of our future fisheries from collapse.

ABs population is not declining any time soon and . The only real chance for good fishing waters in the future is to have conservation minded new anglers in the wings and teaching them that a limit of 5 is not the way to go. Get em while they are young and start changing the way fishers think early.

J