Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-25-2012, 05:21 PM

Default Grassy Lake (Sherburne Lake)

Hey has anyone tried Grassy Yet this year ? Im thinkin about headin there soon to try for walleye,perch.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish89 View Post
Hey has anyone tried Grassy Yet this year ? Im thinkin about headin there soon to try for walleye,perch.
been there twice , very slow. Starting to wonder where all the fish went??
Old 01-25-2012, 09:08 PM

Was there Sat. very slow fishing.There is only 8" to 10" of ice no one is driving on yet.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:06 PM

Default Where do you think they went?

Quote:
Originally Posted by braxxtonn View Post
been there twice , very slow. Starting to wonder where all the fish went??
Where do you think they went? I think the lakes' fish populations have been declining for the past 5 or so years...you can't keep taking your limits of 'eyes and perch every time out without some effect on the fishery over time.I am surprised that you are still allowed to keep walleye out of that lake..and that may be changing soon.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:32 AM

Last ten years I think there has been a decline in fish quality at Grassy for sure.
I can't remember the last time I or someone I have been fishing with has caught a legal walleye.
Problem there too is that a lot of the perch are caught in deep water where mortality rates are high if released.....and I'm as guilty as anyone at that!
Old 01-26-2012, 12:10 PM

Default Grassey

Five years ago if you had four or five groups fishing that was a big day. Now there is as many as 30 groups fishing on a nice weekend. If everyone is keeping their limits or close to it that takes a lot of fish out of the lake and like the last post said most of the released fish do not survive. No doubt there is a lot of perch in the lake but how long can it take this kind of pressure before the fishing slows down.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perchfisher View Post
Five years ago if you had four or five groups fishing that was a big day. Now there is as many as 30 groups fishing on a nice weekend. If everyone is keeping their limits or close to it that takes a lot of fish out of the lake and like the last post said most of the released fish do not survive. No doubt there is a lot of perch in the lake but how long can it take this kind of pressure before the fishing slows down.
This is what is happening to rattlesnake lake. Way to much overharvesting by greedy anglers. Wonder how many anglers actually follow the possession limit.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:48 PM

This past open water season on grassy has been the best I have had in a long time.

I didn't have my big boat available so I used my tinner and caught more legals this season then ever before.

In one day I caught 14 legal walleyes and tons of unders. I also hooked into some really good perch. Every fish went back to be caught another day.

I don't think the walleye population is declining at all in this lake and from what I seen this open water season I don't think the perch are doing to bad either.

I have had a tough time through the ice but I think if I change up my tactics I will have some success with the same quality of fish that I found during open water.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perchfisher View Post
I grew up near there and 15 years ago 30 groups from the boat launch to the dam were very common. Its not a past five years issue.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsoncanadian View Post
This is what is happening to rattlesnake lake. Way to much overharvesting by greedy anglers. Wonder how many anglers actually follow the possession limit.
The issue is not overharvest of perch. The issue is with the decline in predator fish (pike and walleye) and the over population and resulting stunting of the perch. If anything, we need more greedy perch fishermen.

On a side note, for whatever reason we used to only have good perch days at grassy when it was cold as hell. -5 or warmer and we would catch 5-10 perch in an afternoon. -20 or colder and we would hammer 80+. At least they helped keep us warm.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:56 AM

???The fishing has been great the past 2 years at Grassy walleye and perch some of you guys might have to change your tactics My opinion only
Old 01-27-2012, 07:11 AM

I've been having great luck out there over the past few seasons, last year we were catching perch that looked like small mouth bass open water and through the ice,but I have changed my tactics and areas over the last 10 or 15 years of fishing Grassy,but as far as I'm concerned the walleye population has been making an outstanding comeback, hope to get out there this weekend myself...Rip Sum Lip fellas
Old 03-04-2012, 10:05 AM

Default been at Sherburne recently?

Just wondering if anyone has been at Sherburne recently? Going to try to take a trip out there next weekend and hopefully catch a perch or two. I know the weather has been warm in the south and just wondered what the ice was like too.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
Just wondering if anyone has been at Sherburne recently? Going to try to take a trip out there next weekend and hopefully catch a perch or two. I know the weather has been warm in the south and just wondered what the ice was like too.
take ur fish cam, trust me!!!
Old 03-04-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braxxtonn View Post
take ur fish cam, trust me!!!
Take a flasher instead and a really soft rod. You will see the bites more then you will feel them and I noticed fish shying away from the camera.

I am suppose to be heading to Taber monday morning but I have been really sick for 3-4 days now so I am not sure if I will make it out or not. If not Monday then there is plans for the 7th and Friday so hopefully I can get into some perch and walleyes then.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:14 PM

yea, looking forward to traveling down on friday morning and spending the weekend down there. Are you able to still drive on the lake or is it a bit sketchy? Thanks for the suggestions and, of course, cheers to good fishing!
Old 03-04-2012, 06:31 PM

I personally wouldn't drive on any Southern Alberta body of water. I don't trust the ice on a good year and this year has been terrible. Last time I was there was a couple weeks ago and there was about a foot of clear ice. With this wind we are having and the warmer temps I am not to sure how long the ice will last.