Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-10-2009, 04:10 PM

Default pierre greys lake

theres an awesome fishing lake called pierre greys lake up by grande cache i believe on highway 40 but its great if you have been there lets here some some replys thanks

Last edited by fish44; 08-10-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:36 PM

I have only been up in that area once and it was in July. Pierre Greys is a series of lake. I know that there were at least two of the lakes that were joined together.

I only fished from shore on the first two lakes. Very clear water. There is a causeway that one can walk out on. There is a boat launch there and a nice day use area. Good casting from shore there. I managed to hook a rainbow but lost it near shore.

I was told that one of the lakes, not the first two, contains brookies.

That is about all I know. I was up there to fish the rivers and just had some time to kill while waiting for some buds, and stopped at the lakes. They are beautiful and would be a blast fished from a boat/pontoon/belly boat no doubt.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:41 PM

i think they have brown trout rainbow,brooks, and maybe perch, perch i m not sure
Old 08-10-2009, 05:23 PM

No browns, no perch, rainbows and brookies with the occasional Bull trout in there.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:35 PM

sorry ya it was bull trout
Old 08-10-2009, 07:32 PM

Anybody have a report on how these lakes are doing, heading that way this weekend.....wondering ig the water temp is down enough and if anybody is catching anything except this years stockers...........thanks
Old 08-10-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman View Post
Anybody have a report on how these lakes are doing, heading that way this weekend.....wondering ig the water temp is down enough and if anybody is catching anything except this years stockers...........thanks
dont know havent been there for about 2 years
Old 08-10-2009, 09:12 PM

the third lake was good to me about 1 1/2 wweks ago. i put the boat in and best of luck away from the island/penisnsula. the people shore fishing form the peninsula were having good luck though.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:31 PM

Default Small fry

The first lake is good for smaller rainbows, lots in the 12 to 14" range. I was there once and we caught 52 in an hour and a half, we were dragging flies on full sink lines. Had enough of that and decided to go and fish some brookies and on the way in seen a fish in the shallows that would have went eight pounds for sure. The brookies can be a challange but their are some nice ones in there. I would start with chronimids and scuds and in another month or two a backswimmer might be the ticket. Never spent much time at the lake with the bridge so I cant say yay or nay. I dont spend much time here as it is not known for producing big trout with the exception of the brookie lake. Chronimid fishing in the spring can be deadly.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambski View Post
The first lake is good for smaller rainbows, lots in the 12 to 14" range. I was there once and we caught 52 in an hour and a half, we were dragging flies on full sink lines. Had enough of that and decided to go and fish some brookies and on the way in seen a fish in the shallows that would have went eight pounds for sure. The brookies can be a challange but their are some nice ones in there. I would start with chronimids and scuds and in another month or two a backswimmer might be the ticket. Never spent much time at the lake with the bridge so I cant say yay or nay. I dont spend much time here as it is not known for producing big trout with the exception of the brookie lake. Chronimid fishing in the spring can be deadly.

I use to fish these lake alot, but haven't fished them for about 10 years....the brookie lake can be very productive earlier in the year..especially when the dragons migrate to the shallows and in the fall when they simulate spawning........but being the lake water is so clear it seems to drive the fish down with all the light and the heat...............being i haven't been to the lake in many moons i was curious if the fishing has changed in the last 10 years..........i use to find from the middle of July to middle of August the fishing would slow down, but then start picking up and bigger fish being caught in sept.......since they opened up the road from grand cache to gp i am guessing the fishing has changed.....not sure just a question.....i love the area i just hope the fishing is as good as it use to be.........rather fish the lakes but if they suck i guess have to hit the flowing water..............thanks
Old 08-11-2009, 10:44 AM

Like I said, These three lakes are way down on my list. There are tons of lakes around hinton that produce 20" trout consistantly and it saves me from travelling on the death hiway.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:48 AM

How far from calgary is this??

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 08-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Banned

I've fished there a few times in the last few years but only fished the middle lake. A fellow who fished it often said that the middle lake had bigger fish than the first lake. I have caught lots of 15-16 inchers out of there and my wife once caught one that was 18 inches. Both times I fished it were in mid august and I caught lots of fish. I like fishing the muskeg river too which is close, its one of my favorite areas to go fly fishing cause of all the options and is often less crowded than the mountains further south. I think its about 3 hours from edmonton so you'd be looking at around 6 hours from calgary as a rough estemat.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1 View Post
How far from calgary is this??
highway 40 near grande cache
Old 08-12-2009, 05:59 PM

Default one for one

Quote:
i remember that day, the score was 27 to 25, and that big trout was a 50 yard dash away from any water deeper than 3 feet. but what i remember most about that day was meeting the character that later became known to me as "crazy jay", while hiding from the hail under that spruce tree.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:40 PM

this place is about an hour from Hinton-AMAZING campgrounds if that is your style. I would be open to going there with a few others.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Like I said, These three lakes are way down on my list. There are tons of lakes around hinton that produce 20" trout consistantly and it saves me from travelling on the death hiway.
What are some of good lakes in/around hinton? What are you using?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:16 PM

The drive is 4.5 hours from Edmonton
Old 08-13-2009, 12:19 AM

Default Hinton lakes

Sorry, but I cant disclose 20 years of info to somebody I dont know. I will however pm you and get you on the right track if you wish. I am not trying to be a jerk but it has been a journey in which much time and effort was expended.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:35 AM

Sorry...Didnt mean to be outta line. PM would be great, thx.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:16 PM
sparky101

Pierre Grey Lakes is a series of five different lakes. Mostly Rainbow trout. I fish off shore and in a boat or off the island on this one lake. I think its the one after the Waynandie camp ground. My dad and i recenlty went fishing and he cuaght three fish and i caught one but it was the biggest (i'm proud of that We were using a fly rod and these flies that my dad makes with a sinking line. It seemed to work really good after i got used to the whole casting thing. I truly beleive that fly fishing is an art.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:44 PM

Camped and fished there last week. Not much has changed over the years. Lakes are not down (spring fed I guess). The only problem was that they stocked both the rainbow lake and the brookie lake on the 16th. Kind of ruined the fishing but if you like to look at the fish there are thousands of them all along the shore (all about 6 to eight inches) and they were biting.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here