Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-25-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisb View Post
Are you guys talking about "Twin Valley Res"???? I keep hearing about Clear Lake and i am just wondering if its the same lake???
Looking through the Regs, I cant seem to find either lake???
Any help would be great.
different lake, same area. if you go south from Calgary, turn left at Stavely, keep going up the road you will see the lake on your right. Clear is on TWP 142 Twin is over on 529
if this link works, Clear at the bottom, twin at the top
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=...27966&t=h&z=13

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-25-2010, 03:21 PM

Many Thanks Wayne
Old 01-25-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Will there were a bunch of people set up right off the shore when we were there, doubt they were in more than 3 feet also, only saw them pull one fish out. Nice pike, I decided to try closer to home because I wasnt feeling great, ended up landing one the exact twin of yours, 100 miles away sure fun to get thru the ice. Hope it was just your blades messed up and not worse
The good day I had on Friday at Clear was in very shallow water,under 5 feet of water...every time I had a bite and let him run I'd drag a ton of weeds up with it.
Only reason I fished where I did was because there were blood marks on the ice from the day before.....turned out to be a good move on my part
Old 01-25-2010, 03:25 PM

no problem. pike seemed to be biting from shore all the way out, its not a deep lake.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-25-2010, 05:09 PM

Sounds like the bite is back on.

A Good Friend told me,
Wind from the East fish bite the least, Wind from the West fish bite the best...
Old 01-25-2010, 05:31 PM

not hearing much about the burbs out there anybody catching any i caught one about 2 weeks ago 31 x 17 nice fish but i didnt get no pics of it caught a few pike but mostly smaller ones how is it to fish in the summer
Old 01-25-2010, 07:38 PM

Been following your forum for info on Badger Pike recently and decided to join. Not sure if it's cool to jump in on a thread but got some good tips from you all and will post my results and info respectively. Fished Badger twice this year. Nothing huge (landed that is). Biggest 8 lbs. Look forward to trying Clear Lake. Never heard of it before.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
Been following your forum for info on Badger Pike recently and decided to join. Not sure if it's cool to jump in on a thread but got some good tips from you all and will post my results and info respectively. Fished Badger twice this year. Nothing huge (landed that is). Biggest 8 lbs. Look forward to trying Clear Lake. Never heard of it before.
welcome to the forum. When you fish clear make sure your knots are tight, some hogs in there too.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-25-2010, 09:02 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks Wayne. Will keep you posted.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:53 AM

Hey Wayne, I have had the same problem with pike smacking the leader clasp open, and taking off. What about making your own leaders? I started making my own for my tipups and have not lost a fish from a failed leader yet... The only draw back is that the leader needs to be cut for the hooks to be changed...
Old 01-26-2010, 05:46 PM

These were home made leaders, but I didnt have the good snaps on them, Im making a bunch more this week, and using the coast lock snaps so they cant pull them open. Have to go back for round 2 with moby pike next weekend Now I have one close to home I want a rematch with too So many fish, so little fishing time

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-26-2010, 06:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
These were home made leaders, but I didnt have the good snaps on them, Im making a bunch more this week, and using the coast lock snaps so they cant pull them open. Have to go back for round 2 with moby pike next weekend Now I have one close to home I want a rematch with too So many fish, so little fishing time
They should'nt be too hard to identify. They will have a gang of treble hooks stuck in them.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo View Post
They should'nt be too hard to identify. They will have a gang of treble hooks stuck in them.
thank you for your as always intelligent and helpful comment. Have a nice day!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-26-2010, 09:18 PM

Default Swivel Clasps

Even on the good ball bearing swivels, just pinch the clasp with a pair of needle nose pliers so it folds over the wire a bit. If you can release it with your hands, certainly a Pike has no problem if he hits it just right, per chance. This way, you don't have to cut your leaders to make a change but you will need those needle nose pliers to open the clasp again. Hasn't failed me yet.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:08 PM

Does anyone have any updates from Clear this week? Iam thinking about heading that way Sunday for the first time and from what I can gather the lake is shallow, start fishing early in the day, there's a few big pike and the lake is OK to drive on.

Oh ya and bring extra leaders

CR
Old 01-27-2010, 11:39 PM

Default clear lake monday the 25

Went out on monday got there around noon, it was a slow go all day and then my buddy hooked it to this little 13 lb beauty i had told him about this forum on the drive down, we got the picture, then he said post that one on your forum! ha ha so here it is!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small.jpg (129.5 KB, 91 views)
Old 01-28-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryRoadz View Post
Does anyone have any updates from Clear this week? Iam thinking about heading that way Sunday for the first time and from what I can gather the lake is shallow, start fishing early in the day, there's a few big pike and the lake is OK to drive on.

Oh ya and bring extra leaders

CR
Was out there on Tuesday. Released a pair of 28 inchers. Tonnes of bites. Suspect there are some smaller ones in there nibbling away. Used big bait and big hooks. Woulda tried a smaller smelt or something if I had just to see what was biting. Never got the big hit the guys are talking about. 4 of us on the lake total. None over 10lbs. Bite was pretty steady all day. Maybe a bit better 1st thing in the morning. CO snuck up on me on a ski doo. Nice guy for once. Said the lake was heavily fished last couple years so.... I fished 5 feet water all day. Guys were catching everywhere so just look where there are groups of holes and pick a spot and you'll get something, hopefully the big one. Ice about 2 feet thick. Very little snow. Nice little accessible lake. Good Luck.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
Was out there on Tuesday. Released a pair of 28 inchers. Tonnes of bites. Suspect there are some smaller ones in there nibbling away. Used big bait and big hooks. Woulda tried a smaller smelt or something if I had just to see what was biting. Never got the big hit the guys are talking about. 4 of us on the lake total. None over 10lbs. Bite was pretty steady all day. Maybe a bit better 1st thing in the morning. CO snuck up on me on a ski doo. Nice guy for once. Said the lake was heavily fished last couple years so.... I fished 5 feet water all day. Guys were catching everywhere so just look where there are groups of holes and pick a spot and you'll get something, hopefully the big one. Ice about 2 feet thick. Very little snow. Nice little accessible lake. Good Luck.
Thanks for the detailed update. Congrats on the fish. Not sure when I will get out that way but if I do I will provide some info.

Folks, is this not what the intent of this forum is for? Sharing information and being sportsmen/women not playing hide and go seek.

Anyway...Good Day and Good Fishing

CR
Old 01-28-2010, 06:43 PM

Looks like I will be on the lake again this Saturday. I was using small smelts, all I could find, then some bigger ones with no heads, both worked. I was watching the fish, had a quickstrike rig with 2 hooks, the pike would usually take the smelt in the middle, between the hooks so you had to give them time and line to turn it and take it by the end to hook them. the big one just took the whole thing at once Same last Sunday at a different lake, I watched 3 or 4 hammerhandles take the smelt by the middle from the side so they didnt get the hooks. First time I fished Clear I used one hook in the middle of the smelt, seemed to hook them more often that way. I agree the CO on Clear is a pretty decent guy, came by and talked to us a couple times.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-28-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Looks like I will be on the lake again this Saturday. I was using small smelts, all I could find, then some bigger ones with no heads, both worked. I was watching the fish, had a quickstrike rig with 2 hooks, the pike would usually take the smelt in the middle, between the hooks so you had to give them time and line to turn it and take it by the end to hook them. the big one just took the whole thing at once Same last Sunday at a different lake, I watched 3 or 4 hammerhandles take the smelt by the middle from the side so they didnt get the hooks. First time I fished Clear I used one hook in the middle of the smelt, seemed to hook them more often that way. I agree the CO on Clear is a pretty decent guy, came by and talked to us a couple times.
That's what I noticed. Lots of baits with their bellies ripped open. Suspecting that I also tried a hook in the middle but bite was off so can't say if it was successful or not. Sounds like Clear is the new hotspot. Lots of action there that's for sure. Might have to try Beaver just to try swing the momentum again. Gotta feeling someone's going to get a monster at Clear this weekend.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:25 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryRoadz View Post
Thanks for the detailed update. Congrats on the fish. Not sure when I will get out that way but if I do I will provide some info.

Folks, is this not what the intent of this forum is for? Sharing information and being sportsmen/women not playing hide and go seek.

Anyway...Good Day and Good Fishing

CR
I'm a new member. Must say I quickly realized that Wayne Christie's threads were helpful. Don't know him but him and his friends seem like good genuine sportsmen/women who fish because it's fun and challenging. That's what it's about for me. Happy to share helpful info just as I have benefited from it. I read but stay away from the "bragging" threads or "debates" on barbless hooks etc. Respectfully, other's may not be as open and that's cool too. That's their right. Can't say that IF I ever do find that honey hole I'd be publicly posting it; maybe after time I would. I'm sure we'll all meet up on a lake sometime in the future and be able to shake a hand and put a name to a face.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:29 PM

Thanks for the compliment, but I can say Im not a total I do have my days too. I dont mind sharing, I have hotspots I keep to myself for sure, or share in person, but the places that get fished a lot are already wide open so I dont mind helping if I can. I for sure dont know everything about fishing, but I do what I can and learn along the way. Lots of great people on this forum, met quite a few in person and had some really good times. Make it to one of the gatherings, you will see what I mean.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-28-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Wayne if you're at clear saturday--look for a white GMC pickup & a sky blue buick regal . drop in and say hi.etc.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecker View Post
Wayne if you're at clear saturday--look for a white GMC pickup & a sky blue buick regal . drop in and say hi.etc.
shall do. I will be in the dirtiest car on the lake. so dirty the RCMP felt sorry for me last Sunday and cleaned my license plate off at the lake, because I forgot

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-28-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
shall do. I will be in the dirtiest car on the lake. so dirty the RCMP felt sorry for me last Sunday and cleaned my license plate off at the lake, because I forgot
we'll be lookin' for that dirty cavalier .
Old 01-28-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecker View Post
we'll be lookin' for that dirty cavalier .
Look for the dirty Volvo too It should be pretty close to the dirty Cavalier.

#1 son and I will be there. Hubby might be there too . . . we're trying to nail down a nephew to babysit (can't reach him).

I'm looking forward to trying out my new fluorocarbon rigs, and my new fish TV (happy birthday to me! . . . still three weeks off, but got impatient). I have another toy being brought in by the Fishin' Hole, but I don't think it'll be here by then.

I also have a new portable toilet (glorified bucket, does not flush), and a privacy tent to put it in. Got a new bat too.

I had mentioned that I needed to decrease all of the crap I bring. I've somehow wound up with more. It sucks to drag everything out, but it is quite a comfortable experience.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:17 PM

I was wrong, you wont need a van, you will need a cube van pretty soon!!!! all that stuff, now you just need to figure out how to use it to catch a fish!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-28-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post

I had mentioned that I needed to decrease all of the crap I bring. I've somehow wound up with more. It sucks to drag everything out, but it is quite a comfortable experience.
guess thats why you got the portapotty?

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-28-2010, 10:29 PM

Looks like theres going to be a few folks out at Clear this weekend. I hope to be out Saturday if not Sunday for sure. As someone mentioned maybe there could be a big one there this weekend. If so post a picture if you can.

Good Luck and Good Fishing.

CR
Old 01-28-2010, 10:38 PM

I too will be there with a few friends. Red GMC, possibly a blue Chevy as well, and a black Frabill tent.

The big one everyone is talking about will be on display...well pics and/or videos of it at least