Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you support the introduction of a bass fishery to Alberta.
Yes 201 52.34%
No 183 47.66%
Voters: 384. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2011, 07:21 PM

To be honest, i'm neutral on this topic. It would be a cool and new thing to have bass in Alberta and would provide lots of fun for many anglers. I must agree with other members though that it would be pricy and after a while. I also think that after a while, it won't seem like as much of a new grand thing to have bass stocked in alberta as well.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:22 PM

Default No Thanks!

we have had enough "Big Mouth" migrate to our great province. we don't need anymore.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Gone Hunting

I guess if people want to fish for Bass, I suspect they know where to find them.....a wise man once said "when in Rome...do as the Romans do"....good thought....
Old 04-06-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
we have had enough "Big Mouth" migrate to our great province. we don't need anymore.

hahhhahaahhahhhahahahahahahahahhahahhaaha......oh boy....donny and marie...

thats sigline quality stuff......you should be banned...lol....fugg im laughing

Last edited by chubbdarter; 04-06-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:27 PM

You better not be voting to change any of my put and take trout lakes...especially if you are not from the rural area...

As a past fisheries biologist...I am somewhat torn. They did try in Island lake...some hold outs...but mostly gone. They tried in Wabamun...but no luck. I am not sure where they could try but given the lake of lakes in Alberta...you would have to impact the local predators...pike and walleye to let them establish...then protect them with regs as they would be both susceptible to over harvest and also susceptible to habitat stresses.

Still...they have very limited range and we are outside of it. I would not worry about them moving around like say channel cats...

In a limited fishery...it would be highly utilized and add tremendous value as a fishing option.

I voted for supporting...

Sun
Old 04-06-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
You better not be voting to change any of my put and take trout lakes...especially if you are not from the rural area...

As a past fisheries biologist...I am somewhat torn. They did try in Island lake...some hold outs...but mostly gone. They tried in Wabamun...but no luck. I am not sure where they could try but given the lake of lakes in Alberta...you would have to impact the local predators...pike and walleye to let them establish...then protect them with regs as they would be both susceptible to over harvest and also susceptible to habitat stresses.

Still...they have very limited range and we are outside of it. I would not worry about them moving around like say channel cats...

In a limited fishery...it would be highly utilized and add tremendous value as a fishing option.

I voted for supporting...

Sun
Well its coming out of your quality trout budget.....Not my walleye budget...you pick which lakes lose the aerators...lol
Old 04-06-2011, 07:41 PM

Largemouth Bass or Smallmouth Bass, there is a difference in looks and taste. I've never ate a largemouth bass but have eaten several smallmouth bass. To me they taste in between perch and walleye. I filleted mine same as a walleye. I've caught them up to 3- 3.5 lbs. I never voted on your poll as I'll leave that to Alberta residents.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Man he went right to the dark side.......
Old 04-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBrain View Post
OK I found my big stick, now where did that horse get dragged off to?
Attachment 34259

AHHH, there it is

I hope that is a feral horse.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Gone Hunting

Wait till after the election and if the Liberals get in , it will be easier to have Alberta separate and take the Bass provinces with us. Man. Sask. And B.C Call it all Alberta.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-06-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
The bucket brigades would have a blast with this..........sigh.

holy crap, we finally agree on something, lol.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:56 PM

Besides Alberta which provinces dont have bass? besides the territories that is. Id much rather catch crazy fighting bass than drag your azz walleye, or teeny trout. When was the last time anyone saw a walleye or a trout leap onto shore to grab a bug in the weeds then roll back through the dirt to the water? Ive seen bass do some crazy things and Id be quite willing to have my share of fish stocking money go to bring in some real fish for a change.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-06-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
curious those who support Bass in AB.....what lakes would you pick to stock them in?
bass has already been stocked in alot of central to southern lakes with no results... they just are not ment for our province. and if they do its a waste of money. because we already know whas gonna happen. if they do its goingg to be in the south eastern part of our provnince in small ponds with lots of cover water and lots of forage including, crayfish,worms,leeches,mice,birds,ect. also a self sustaining population of panfish and baitfish.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:13 PM

Look I stand behind the idea , it's a good poll , sure like all things some will be all out against it. Others will embrace it , some will be on the fence ... All responses valid ....

Though there's no way this fish is as problematic as people suggest. I say this because if you look at the previous attempt , it failed for other reasons .. The fish didn't survive .. Which is more of a nail in the coffin ... Then potential damage which is completely unproven .

When you guys are comparing this to perch it's two totally different things. I can vouch that perch are trouble they can tolerate similar walleye waters being of the same family. They run in packs and feed like piranha ... They are primarily a schooling fish because of their size they invade much faster then bass .. Bass can't push a pike out of an area , and share very well with walleye ... The balance has existed forever on many many lakes ...
Old 04-06-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Well its coming out of your quality trout budget.....Not my walleye budget...you pick which lakes lose the aerators...lol
We could always remove the trout and pike from Glenmore Reservoir...

I don't think there is any water in Alberta that has chance...without seriously reducing the predator population. I personally believe the predators in Wab...ate all the bass.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
Largemouth Bass or Smallmouth Bass, there is a difference in looks and taste. I've never ate a largemouth bass but have eaten several smallmouth bass. To me they taste in between perch and walleye. I filleted mine same as a walleye. I've caught them up to 3- 3.5 lbs. I never voted on your poll as I'll leave that to Alberta residents.
Smallmouth have a lower water temperature tolerance... Largemouth will not do as well in Alberta...stress is too much for them.

Someone once said blue marlin...I would prefer them to smallies...but smallies are better than 6 inch brookies...
Old 04-06-2011, 08:21 PM

[
QUOTE=FishBrain;896533]OK I found my big stick, now where did that horse get dragged off to?
Attachment 34259

AHHH, there it is[/QUOTE]

Doesn't qualify. That horse is definitely just resting , not dead.

We don't need no stinking bass's here!

stan
Old 04-06-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I've experienced my far share of native species match the description . Once I was running a drift and some old turd was mumbling profanities at me the whole time , as he thought me using a drift sock was irritating, completely s good half football field away from him , tries to run my line 2 times .... But he was lucky I didn't drop him like a sack of potatoes ..... Crawling valley !
Old 04-06-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Besides Alberta which provinces dont have bass? besides the territories that is. Id much rather catch crazy fighting bass than drag your azz walleye, or teeny trout. When was the last time anyone saw a walleye or a trout leap onto shore to grab a bug in the weeds then roll back through the dirt to the water? Ive seen bass do some crazy things and Id be quite willing to have my share of fish stocking money go to bring in some real fish for a change.
thats why i never picnic near Duck or Osoyos Lakes anymore.....watching a grandpa Bass leap out of the water and roll back down the bank with my bucket of KFC was terrifying. It got worst when a Daddy bass took the fries and the baby bass grabbed the salads......There was no food left for the momma bass....so it rolled past us and grabbed a milk cow in the field behind us.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszomola View Post
Look I stand behind the idea , it's a good poll , sure like all things some will be all out against it. Others will embrace it , some will be on the fence ... All responses valid ....

Though there's no way this fish is as problematic as people suggest. I say this because if you look at the previous attempt , it failed for other reasons .. The fish didn't survive .. Which is more of a nail in the coffin ... Then potential damage which is completely unproven .

When you guys are comparing this to perch it's two totally different things. I can vouch that perch are trouble they can tolerate similar walleye waters being of the same family. They run in packs and feed like piranha ... They are primarily a schooling fish because of their size they invade much faster then bass .. Bass can't push a pike out of an area , and share very well with walleye ... The balance has existed forever on many many lakes ...

it is a problematic fish if its a burden to the overall fisheries budget......any new fish introduced should at least have the potential to sustain itself to some degree....Trout in this province already are using up huge resources and still not satisfying everyone.
I dont believe its a simple as saying ok everyone clean the trout tanks we are going to grow Bass for 6 months of the year.

But i know Bass pro shops would love it.....they can finally unload their stock of boats
Old 04-06-2011, 08:52 PM

There are still smallmouth bass in Island Lake. It was a good choice for stocking this fish. Lots of good habitat, sad though how the water level has come down.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Gone Hunting

If you want the problems Australia has, go ahead move to Australia, don't try to bring those problems here. We have enough problem wildlife as it is.

When will people learn! You can never predict what a species will do in an environment it didn't come from?

We were told that Wild Hogs could never survive on their own here. Now we can SEE that that was quiet literally, HOGWASH.

I'm not going to run off a list of the worst offenders, rest assured, it is a long list. Think Killer Bees in the USA, Rabbits in Australia, Beaver in south America.

We might get lucky, maybe Bass can't survive here. And maybe, just maybe evolution no longer happens. We could possibly get away with it this time.

And next time, when someone wants to introduce their favourite species, it would be ten times harder to say no, and that one turns out to be a total disaster. Or maybe it's the one that comes after #2. Does it matter which one causes the collapse of the Walleye population or the Golden Trout population, or any other native species?

History can teach us if we will listen.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:57 PM

Default tarpon

Why not tarpon, great sport fish? And they stand just as much chance as bass here.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:00 PM

I don't see how bass winter killing is any different then all the little trout ponds that are winter killed or fished out every year and restocked. If they can restock rainbows a few times a season there is no reason that they can't do the same with bass. And if they are going to be killed then there shouldn't be any worries about them spreading around and hurting other "Native" species.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
If you want the problems Australia has, go ahead move to Australia, don't try to bring those problems here. We have enough problem wildlife as it is.

When will people learn! You can never predict what a species will do in an environment it didn't come from?

We were told that Wild Hogs could never survive on their own here. Now we can SEE that that was quiet literally, HOGWASH.

I'm not going to run off a list of the worst offenders, rest assured, it is a long list. Think Killer Bees in the USA, Rabbits in Australia, Beaver in south America.

We might get lucky, maybe Bass can't survive here. And maybe, just maybe evolution no longer happens. We could possibly get away with it this time.

And next time, when someone wants to introduce their favourite species, it would be ten times harder to say no, and that one turns out to be a total disaster. Or maybe it's the one that comes after #2. Does it matter which one causes the collapse of the Walleye population or the Golden Trout population, or any other native species?

Great post, Good logic.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
Why not tarpon, great sport fish? And they stand just as much chance as bass here.
Tarpon? Alberta needs to stock whales so we can start whaling. There's an idea.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

Golden trout is not native to alberta it was introduced in 1959 from California
Old 04-06-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
I don't see how bass winter killing is any different then all the little trout ponds that are winter killed or fished out every year and restocked. If they can restock rainbows a few times a season there is no reason that they can't do the same with bass. And if they are going to be killed then there shouldn't be any worries about them spreading around and hurting other "Native" species.
can we raise them in a kids plastic pool or do we need a new facility to raise the bass?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:30 PM

Nah just get them from out of province like they have done with other species. A kiddy pool would be a pretty decent place to start though. You could easily control the water temp and add a small airation system and then bucket brigade them into the small ponds.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:31 PM

With all this bass talk it's funny, strange, ironic how many people are willing to travel to BC to catch bass.

I must be the oddball because I lived in BC within an hour or two of many bass lakes for 24 years and have never been bass fishing. Now I travel to BC regulary to catch trout. What's wrong with me????????????