Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you support the introduction of a bass fishery to Alberta.
Yes 201 52.34%
No 183 47.66%
Voters: 384. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-2011, 03:13 PM

my vote would me NO BASS
Old 04-07-2011, 03:47 PM

never fished em and never will! grew up with limited fishing shows to watch and got plain sick of watching bass fisherman and there 40 lb line reel in a 10lb bass from 30 yards out in 2.4 seconds! not sure why those americans on t.v insist on horseing them in like that.?.?.? and when its all said and done (2.4 seconds later ) they say " wow! that was a hell of a fight! " that reason and the big reason. incase peaple havnt noticed, but our fish managment isnt that awsome. we are still "experimenting" with the existing species we have. once we learn how to manage the existing fisherys and waterbodys, then and only then should we take on new species etc. etc. But first things first my fellow fishermen!
Old 04-07-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
never fished em !
Sorry for your loss,you dont know what your missing!

Ive caught every bass in canada,rock,black,largemouth,small Mouth ,Etc pound for pound they fight like no other Fresh water Fish in canada.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post

Ive caught every bass in canada,rock,black,largemouth,small Mouth ,Etc pound for pound they fight like no other Fresh water Fish in canada.
read the rest. it explains my reasoning.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
never fished em and never will! grew up with limited fishing shows to watch and got plain sick of watching bass fisherman and there 40 lb line reel in a 10lb bass from 30 yards out in 2.4 seconds! not sure why those americans on t.v insist on horseing them in like that.?.?.? and when its all said and done (2.4 seconds later ) they say " wow! that was a hell of a fight! " that reason and the big reason. incase peaple havnt noticed, but our fish managment isnt that awsome. we are still "experimenting" with the existing species we have. once we learn how to manage the existing fisherys and waterbodys, then and only then should we take on new species etc. etc. But first things first my fellow fishermen!
I agree...I can't stand watching bass fishing on TV... 400lb test...holding them in the air for 1 hour with their jaw bent...then tossing them back...
Old 04-07-2011, 04:51 PM

In 1908, bass were stocked in Lake Minnewanka, and into Sylvan, Gull, Pine, Buffalo and Cooking Lakes. In 1924, bass were introduced into Ministik Lake, near Edmonton. A few years later largemouth bass were stocked in Pigeon Lake, Lake Wabamun and Lac La Nonne. They survived and were caught for several years, but never reproduced. Smallmouth were introduced into Island Lake (near Smoky Lake) in 1977,1978,1979,1981 and 1984. The largest one caught by angling was 43 cm long and weighed 1.8 kg. In 1989, young bass were caught, indicating some reproduction. Not sure when the last one was caught, but there is no longer any sign of reproduction or survival.

So it isn't for lack of trying, they just don't seem to make it here. As much as I would love to have a local bass fishery, it would be a put and take fishery at best, and there are better species for that.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post

FYI,LM and SM are both black bass. I agree,pound for pound they are like no other.They lack endurance and spirit and are weak compared to a trout or salmon of equal size,which you would know if you'd ever caught so much as a single trout or salmon of comparable size,bwaahahahaha. Thanks for sharing your vast wealth of freshwater angling knowledge and experience with the forum though.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:24 PM

I respectfully am in shock over the poll results.
I have definitely learned something.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
I respectfully am in shock over the poll results.
I have definitely learned something.
CD, what did you learn?
Old 04-07-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
CD, what did you learn?
he learned that roughly ignorance holds 49% of the forum population! bwahahahah! kidding of course. am i?. lol.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
CD, what did you learn?
that no matter the cost or what scientific proof says...people still want what they want....and thats fair

a put and take Bass fishery just doesnt seem feasble to me
Old 04-07-2011, 05:50 PM

Dont think you will have to worry about that(put and take bass) anytime soon.

Highly unlikely SRD will ever allow new species into the Province.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:02 PM

im not against anyones idea of pleasure....thats their choice.
here is a idea.....totally a simple mans idea...no science or accounting done

a lousy movie costs 20 bucks each now if you dont eat too much
a specialty coffee costs 8 bucks
a stinking bottle of water 3 bucks
a Mac-Chit meal 9 bucks

How many fisherman are willing to pay 250 bucks for a annual licence?
250 bucks that goes to the fisheries and not the save a crack head foundation
Maybe some realistic dreams can come true with that kind of funding.
Its my opinion the price to fish here is Good bang for your Buck....really cheap in fact.
As in life...we all want want want....but want costs money. Wanting and not willing to pay is kinda like whinning with your hand out

Last edited by chubbdarter; 04-07-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
im not against anyones idea of pleasure....thats their choice.
here is a idea.....totally a simple mans idea...no science or accounting done

a lousy movie costs 20 bucks each now if you dont eat too much
a specialty coffee costs 8 bucks
a stinking bottle of water 3 bucks
a Mac-Chit meal 9 bucks

How many fisherman are willing to pay 250 bucks for a annual licence?
250 bucks that goes to the fisheries and not the save a crack head foundation
Maybe some realistic dreams can come true with that kind of funding.
Its my opinion the price to fish here is Good bang for your Buck....really cheap in fact.
i dont get out much anymore,( 2-3 times a year ) but if it made a differance i would pay it.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
i dont get out much anymore,( 2-3 times a year ) but if it made a differance i would pay it.
im guilty of going too many times...maybe guys like me should pay more
Old 04-07-2011, 06:15 PM

No take care of our fishery .
Old 04-07-2011, 06:34 PM

I am shocked also by the results. I never imagined that a bass fishery would be wanted here.
When I put up the poll I was thinking it would be 80/20 or maybe 70/30 with the majority going against the intro.
If bass were to be introduced, would I try fishing for them? Sure I would, even though I voted against the intro. How many other people would also cast a line for them that voted against it?
Old 04-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
CD, what did you learn?
Quote:
he learned that roughly ignorance holds 49% of the forum population! bwahahahah! kidding of course. am i?. lol.
Not kidding at all.....I was shocked to discover that Big Brother actually DOES know what's best for us and that almost half of the public is not educated enough on the subject to make responsible decisions for themselves.

Last edited by grinr; 04-07-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
that no matter the cost or what scientific proof says...people still want what they want....and thats fair

a put and take Bass fishery just doesnt seem feasble to me
Is 163 votes enough to convince you?

Granted people are interested in something new...something different...

Unfortunately...it is highly unlikely we can find a large enough lake that people would let us pound the pike and walleye in to protect the bass. Not feasible...but still an interesting concept...

Tiger trout lakes would be way cooler...and also bringing the Splake back...
Old 04-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Banned

Here are the 85 votes missing from the low vote on the Quality Trout fishing poll, I'm kidding.

But I side with Picky Pat and Sunprance; nothing worse than years ago having bass fishing shows from South Carolina ponds enclosed on PGA golf courses. Seriously, the boats always had 2x250hp, probably to compensate for the weight of 3 fishermen who weighed as much as 10 people. If I could get over the stereotype of what we can expect from a bass fishing clique, then I might give it a whirl,,, long sigh,,,, nope just writing that made me cringe,,, I'll consider watching bass fishers from afar for anthropological reasons. How about garfish, they look fun or land locked salmon or pufferfish,, mmmm Fugu sounds like it could give walleye a run for it's money in taste. Hell, let's just have all the freshwater fish in North America, right here, NOW. BUT, if it's the change the people want, I think I can learn how to chew tobacco and get my girth on.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
Here are the 85 votes missing from the low vote on the Quality Trout fishing poll, I'm kidding.

But I side with Picky Pat and Sunprance; nothing worse than years ago having bass fishing shows from South Carolina ponds enclosed on PGA golf courses. Seriously, the boats always had 2x250hp, probably to compensate for the weight of 3 fishermen who weighed as much as 10 people. If I could get over the stereotype of what we can expect from a bass fishing clique, then I might give it a whirl,,, long sigh,,,, nope just writing that made me cringe,,, I'll consider watching bass fishers from afar for anthropological reasons. How about garfish, they look fun or land locked salmon or pufferfish,, mmmm Fugu sounds like it could give walleye a run for it's money in taste. Hell, let's just have all the freshwater fish in North America, right here, NOW. BUT, if it's the change the people want, I think I can learn how to chew tobacco and get my girth on.
WELL that was well worth waiting for...this thread has officially run aground.......
Old 04-08-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
WELL that was well worth waiting for...this thread has officially run aground.......
donnied and maried?
Old 04-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
In 1908, bass were stocked in Lake Minnewanka, and into Sylvan, Gull, Pine, Buffalo and Cooking Lakes. In 1924, bass were introduced into Ministik Lake, near Edmonton. A few years later largemouth bass were stocked in Pigeon Lake, Lake Wabamun and Lac La Nonne. They survived and were caught for several years, but never reproduced. Smallmouth were introduced into Island Lake (near Smoky Lake) in 1977,1978,1979,1981 and 1984. The largest one caught by angling was 43 cm long and weighed 1.8 kg. In 1989, young bass were caught, indicating some reproduction. Not sure when the last one was caught, but there is no longer any sign of reproduction or survival.

So it isn't for lack of trying, they just don't seem to make it here. As much as I would love to have a local bass fishery, it would be a put and take fishery at best, and there are better species for that.
Please read the above facts.

What interests me is the new demand for Bass in Alberta.

Are you posters who demand another failed bass stocking in Alberta people who lived in eastern Canada or somewhere in the United States, and figure that if Bass lived in ontario and USville why not in Alberta?

Please note that I am not trying to insult any of you people, but am wondering what demographic you are coming from?
Old 04-08-2011, 08:05 PM

If you don't stock most of the trout lakes a couple times of year they would all fail also. So why not take a few of those lakes and turn them into small bass lakes. It doesn't have to be all over the province just a few in each region to give it some change. I can live with having to go to BC a couple times of year to fish for them but it would be nice to have something a bit different then what else is around here already.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I agree...I can't stand watching bass fishing on TV... 400lb test...holding them in the air for 1 hour with their jaw bent...then tossing them back...
finaly someone who also hates bass fishing shows. its not only that saying a 2lb fish is 4-5lbs? like do they think were dumb? or mabe they think it looks bigger holding it up to the camera
Old 04-08-2011, 08:35 PM

hardly no one answered my question....who's willing to pay for all this?

maybe we can buy bass for a experiment e.g Island Lake
But to have even a few Bass lakes as put and take we need a Bass rearing facility...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.....millions! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And its over my DEAD cold body the funding is coming out of the Cold Lake hatchery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...the fish reared there have and are showing signs of natural reproduction after being released.

Just because we dont stock 15 put and take trout ponds does not give us the funding to build and operate a Bass rearing facility......geebuss..it would be cheaper to give all Albertans who want to fish Bass 4 all expense paid week ends in Creston a year.

Im all for educated experiments......but im against bashing my head against a wall i could not defeat the first 10 attempts.

250.00 bucks a year for a annual licence anyone?......no begging no whinning no praying....just plain be big boys and pay up
Old 04-08-2011, 08:42 PM

[QUOTE=chubbdarter;899202]

Just because we dont stock 15 put and take trout ponds does not give us the funding to build and operate a Bass rearing facility......geebuss..it would be cheaper to give all Albertans who want to fish Bass 4 all expense paid week ends in Creston a year.

Sign me up!!!! with a side trip to the Kokanee brewery

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-08-2011, 08:44 PM

no ones payying for it. and if it is part of its going to taxes, some of it going to our anuel win cards and fishing lincenses. and stiffer fines. and if we do get them say good buy to our put and take trout fisherys. no more decent tasting trout. now it will be muddy meat. but weve tried stokcing lakes they dont survive...it just dont work that way.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:08 PM

I would be all for paying the $250 for a license every year if I knew that all of the money was going back into the fishery and not lining the pockets of the politicians.

Couldn't you buy the bass from an out of province hatchery and use the money saved from not stocking the lakes all with rainbows Darter? I don't know how the whole stocking thing works but I thought that could possibly be an option.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
I would be all for paying the $250 for a license every year if I knew that all of the money was going back into the fishery and not lining the pockets of the politicians.
Agreed!