Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2014, 10:18 PM

Default Buying a hot tub.

The wife and I made a deal with an Edmonton spa dealer and are having issues. I don't wanna name the place because I would like honest unbiased opinions.
Have any of you in Edmonton bought a hot tub from an Edmonton spa dealer and if so, how was the product and service?
Old 02-18-2014, 10:23 PM

What kind of issues we talking about?Motor,warranty,topside,jets..?
Old 02-18-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
What kind of issues we talking about?Motor,warranty,topside,jets..?
Haven't had it delivered yet.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
Get your money back before the novelty wears off. They're nice for the first couple months, then they turn into just another thing to up keep.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
OK...so i guess 'delivery issues' then..can't add anything constructive to that, i tried,sorry.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Get your money back before the novelty wears off. They're nice for the first couple months, then they turn into just another thing to up keep.
Exactly.

Got good use for 5 months out of ours. Then it became a headache to maintain.

Novelty wears off fast.

Buy a sexy over under and be done with it.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey View Post

Got good use for 5 months out of ours. Then it became a headache to maintain.
What brand?
Old 02-18-2014, 10:57 PM

Without sounding like a meanie, don't buy it. Renting a hotel room with a hot tub a couple times a year will be fun..
Old 02-18-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
What brand?
Wasn't a brand problem. It was a never going in it so I didn't maintain chemical levels properly.
Then all of your new friends who haven't come over in years all of a sudden are over all the time and happen to have their suits with them.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:00 PM

The novelty has not worn off. We are replacing one that we had for the last ten years and used about 4 times a week.
Arthritis is a bitch and stepping into the hot tub after a long day makes it all go away.
Already have a jetted tub and that is great but the hot tub is awesome.

It just seems that all the dealers these days are crooks.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:04 PM

Enjoyed one for year when I lived in BC, never treated it as a novelty and miss it immensely. Definitely a maintenance item but put it on a schedule like everything else than it is same old like cutting the grass every week.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
The novelty has not worn off. We are replacing one that we had for the last ten years and used about 4 times a week.
Arthritis is a bitch and stepping into the hot tub after a long day makes it all go away.
Already have a jetted tub and that is great but the hot tub is awesome.

It just seems that all the dealers these days are crooks.
Well now I feel bad! Sorry about your arthritis and I hope you find a great tub for a great price! I was def thinking of your situation based on my own.. Good luck!
Old 02-18-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
Well now I feel bad! Sorry about your arthritis and I hope you find a great tub for a great price! I was def thinking of your situation based on my own.. Good luck!
No need to feel bad. I appreciate any advice I get.

The wife and I check into a hotel now and then just for kicks anyway.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:
No need to feel bad. I appreciate any advice I get.

The wife and I check into a hotel now and then just for kicks anyway.
The "High Country Inn" in Banff has a nice honeymoon suite that is pretty cheap, especially in the off season.. Nice hot tub in the room.. Fireplace, balcony looking at the mountains.. On the strip.. That's our favourite place for sure.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
The "High Country Inn" in Banff has a nice honeymoon suite that is pretty cheap, especially in the off season.. Nice hot tub in the room.. Fireplace, balcony looking at the mountains.. On the strip.. That's our favourite place for sure.
Thanks for the tip. I just checked the place out online and might just go there this week with the wife. We are both off until Monday.
Looks like a nice place and the price is reasonable.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:56 PM

Have had a Beachcomber for 9 years. Initial cost a little higher but in the long run definitely worth it I would consider them if things don't work out for you. As far as maintenance and testing for water--SPA SOLUTION is the ticket dead easy and you no longer need a bucket full of chemicals.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Without sounding like a meanie, don't buy it. Renting a hotel room with a hot tub a couple times a year will be fun..
Got a lot more use out of it single
Old 02-19-2014, 12:20 AM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

Google Global edmonton trouble shooter. There's an edmonton hot tub company that hasn't been able to fill back orders for their customers and I would avoid that company. If you want a new replacement tub I would suggest buying from a dealer that has them in stock.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:00 AM

Dont buy it???? I've had one for 21 years. Wouldn't be without one. I use it 3 or 4 times a week even if it's just for a few minutes, which it usually is. I keep the temp very high and a few minutes is all I need. Great for aches and pains and for thawing out after spending a day hunting in the fall.

Maintenance is not that tough...keep the chemicals in balance and change the filter...
I have had isues over the years but still worth keeping it but usually just a thermostat or heating element. Got a great service guy, so that helps.

Work out the issues with the dealer.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:24 AM

Smile

I have had a Beachomber Hybrid Hottub for 2 years now and the service by my dealer has been nothing but awesome and I have a full warranty for five years on everything... The Hybrid have a small 3rd pump that keeps the water cirulating constanly so the 2 big pumps don't have to kick in a couple of times a day...they say it is a lot cheaper on the electric bill.....Have had a few minor issues with jets blowing out but they have replaced them instantly for free when I take them in.
I use mine every day for the same reasons...my knees are shot and without it some days I can barely walk so if your suffering arthritis they are great.

Jim
Old 02-19-2014, 08:38 AM

Growing up, a neighbor had an indoor hot tub with a big screen TV in the room. I'd be in for something like that.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
Wasn't a brand problem. It was a never going in it so I didn't maintain chemical levels properly.
Then all of your new friends who haven't come over in years all of a sudden are over all the time and happen to have their suits with them.
Don't let people into your Hot tubs without showering 1st!!
And women are very hard on them too!(body oils,long hair,hair sprays etc)
No one but closest people get in my tub,not worth the added maintence.

My advice,buy Hot tubs that are not foam filled/have side
panels(preferably 8) you can remove for any issues..beachcomers type tubs are a real pain when there's a leak(have to dig thru foam) &
'Pacific' or 'Artic Spa's' are top notch!
There's a store in B'ville that was really awesome about sales/service/(Paul).
I think it has a new owner now though.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:40 AM

there is a local dealer in Edmonton and Calgary that use a POLAR bear in their logo.....stay away....bad service...well actually 0 service, bad product...so many bad reviews
Old 02-20-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhguy View Post
there is a local dealer in Edmonton and Calgary that use a POLAR bear in their logo.....stay away....bad service...well actually 0 service, bad product...so many bad reviews
their west Edmonton location also has a notice up of closure due to unpaid rent....if you have a deposit with them id say kiss it goodbye
Old 02-20-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
their west Edmonton location also has a notice up of closure due to unpaid rent....if you have a deposit with them id say kiss it goodbye
and any extended service agreements....they always have a way to blame the client....like their chemical free bs
Old 02-20-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishead View Post
Have had a Beachcomber for 9 years. Initial cost a little higher but in the long run definitely worth it I would consider them if things don't work out for you. As far as maintenance and testing for water--SPA SOLUTION is the ticket dead easy and you no longer need a bucket full of chemicals.
We also have a Beachcomber hybrid model.Has been absolutely trouble free for the 4 years we have owned it.H ave more trouble stabalizing the bad water out town has than anything.What is this spa solutions you r talking about as we would like to eliminate the bucket of chemicals also.As for keeping it clean it is just our family that uses it as we found bringing friends in really increases the maintenance.Its our own personal oasis
Old 02-20-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
The wife and I made a deal with an Edmonton spa dealer and are having issues. I don't wanna name the place because I would like honest unbiased opinions.
Have any of you in Edmonton bought a hot tub from an Edmonton spa dealer and if so, how was the product and service?
I was thinking about buying a truck, having issues, anyone bought a truck in alberta lately? how was the product / service??

See any similarities?

Very hard to understand what advice you're looking for. Is it delivery issues, pricing, what do you mean by "service" when you haven't received it yet?

Elaborate and I'll throw the next reply in for free, if not, you owe me the last 30 seconds of my life back for reading this thread
Old 02-20-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLabel View Post
I was thinking about buying a truck, having issues, anyone bought a truck in alberta lately? how was the product / service??

See any similarities?

Very hard to understand what advice you're looking for. Is it delivery issues, pricing, what do you mean by "service" when you haven't received it yet?

Elaborate and I'll throw the next reply in for free, if not, you owe me the last 30 seconds of my life back for reading this thread
We'll just call it even for me having to waste my time reading your useless reply.

Keep your next one to yourself.

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
We'll just call it even for me having to waste my time reading your useless reply.

Keep your next one to yourself.

Thanks!
haha, Touche! At least my reply was direct and to the point!

Though it could have been a little more polite so point taken. best of luck with your quest
Old 02-20-2014, 09:35 PM

We have an Artic Spa and love it, the wife and kids are in it 4-5 time a week every week...Some of the best family time in a busy world we live in....
When ours calls it quit i will replace it with the Costco tub, a buddy bought one 3 years ago and loves it...
Save your self 1000.00 and buy at costco.