Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2010, 07:26 PM

Default Cabelas started.

Walked into Walmart today and asked the door man about the new construction next door(between them and Home depo) the reply was
Cabela's
History in the making !
Old 09-01-2010, 07:32 PM

which walmart? st.albert or spruce grove?
Old 09-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Banned

Slave Lake Wal.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:42 PM

You guys make me laugh ! Antoneyhenda Edmonton
Old 09-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Banned

Did you see the two flocks of Canada geese in the puddles on the construction site today? They must be waiting for the opening.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:20 PM

True to their word. When Cabela's confirmed the Edmonton store, the website article read construction would begin September 2010. They also said it would be open September 2011. Can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 09-01-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Did you see the two flocks of Canada geese in the puddles on the construction site today? They must be waiting for the opening.

Didn't you notice that those were stuffed? Cabela's has already started bringing in the taxidermy mounts and have nowhere to store them until they get a roof over the shop. Watch for the polar bear and the zebra out there next week.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:56 AM

Bass Pro's in Calgary, Cabela's in Edmonton, I guess it makes good business sense not having both in same city, at least to start with. Having shopped in both Bass Pro's and Cabela's, I must say I prefer Cabela's selection, prices and customer service.
I wonder how it will affect Wholesale Sports business? ...........maybe realistic prices for a change and an improvement in customer service ?
Old 09-06-2010, 11:53 AM

Good news! More competition always helps the consumer.

Improvement in customer service? How could that be possible? What's not to like about taking a number and standing there for 15min only to get to the counter be told they are sold out of what you are looking for, or having someone who has obviously never even fired a rifle trying to tell you what you need to hunt deer, elk, or moose with?

Prices? Not that bad compared to what I'm used to since I do most of my shopping in small town gun shops. Best thing about small town shops though is that the guy behind the counter is usually a hunter/gun nut like us and actually has a valid opinion, they will barter with you (makes you feel like you got a good deal), once you get to know them you'll usually get the friend price up front which is very competative with the big shops, and they will bs with you all afternoon if you feel like chatting.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:25 PM

why dont you try working in one of these types of stores, sometimes the people that get hired aren't the most knowledgeble and dont have a clue, there are some there that know their stuff and love to hunt and fish so they choose to work in these stores for pennies. its not like a tim hortons in fort mac making 20 an hour. at least they go to work and try instead of complaing about customer service in all these places, sometimes you get good service others you get the guys that dont know much and get bad service.. every store is out of stock of popular products, every store has good and bad employees......
Old 09-06-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montec View Post
why dont you try working in one of these types of stores, sometimes the people that get hired aren't the most knowledgeble and dont have a clue, there are some there that know their stuff and love to hunt and fish so they choose to work in these stores for pennies. its not like a tim hortons in fort mac making 20 an hour. at least they go to work and try instead of complaing about customer service in all these places, sometimes you get good service others you get the guys that dont know much and get bad service.. every store is out of stock of popular products, every store has good and bad employees......

Actually, I was the owner operator of a fishing store. My employees were all fishermen/hunters and knew their stuff. I paid above minimum wage as I appreciated the knowledge and commitment these staff brought. As a small store operator, I could choose who I employed and it was an easy choice, experience and commitment to customer service over someone who just wanted a job. Many customers commented favorably on the knowledge and patience of my staff.
There was a joke going around back then, which reflected the sentiment of many in dealing with big box stores and far from ideal customer service......it went ....."I went to Canadian Tire and asked to speak to their fishing expert, he told me everything he knew about fishing and in 2 minutes flat, I was out of the store". That is not what I want when going to a store, I want to be able to discuss the product if there are things I don't know about it. If I go to a specialty store, I want to speak to someone with knowledge and not be met with a blank stare or a shrug of the shoulders (in between checking text messges). After all, isn't knowledge of their product and what it used for not why they are a specialty store? Yes, maybe some of these people just need the work, but at least, they should try to learn a bit about what they are selling and whatever happened to service with a smile or a greeting? I am 60 years old and used to the good old days of customer service, when you were not afraid to ask someone for help in case it upset them.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:14 PM

Default Lacy, WA

I just arrived at Disneyland with the wife and kids but on the way down we stoped at Lacy, Washington. We checked out Cabella's and it was an impresive display but we also discovered there is a Wholesale Sports there and the selection was as good (or better in the case of ammo) then Cabella's and they were cheaper on everything we looked at!
Old 09-06-2010, 05:21 PM

Dang, wish there was some way to switch Bass Pro up north and have Cabela's down here.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:22 PM

Road trip!
Old 09-06-2010, 06:13 PM

Gunslinger 257, I was in those two exact stores in august and your experience was exactly like mine. To be honest I was kinda disappointed with cabelas prices and ended up doing the bulk of my shopping at wholesale.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:48 PM

Looks like a fairly small store

http://www.currentswindermere.ca/use...an%2011x17.pdf
Old 09-07-2010, 07:57 AM

looks to be 2/3 size of Home Depot. But, Cabela's is usually on 2 floors so total floor area would be same as Home Depot or Wal-Mart. I wonder if they will be fitting all the scenery, mountain,waterfall and aquariums etc in there too?
Old 09-07-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnydipper View Post
I have a copy of the plans in my truck, 78,000 ft/sq lots of two storey inside.
Still I question, what do people expect? It will be a flashy store as i have been to a few in the mid-states, but everyone wants this massive store with cool features and lots of mounts, and still expects to buy a fishing pole for $0.99??

I would rather shop at a wharehouse type store with everything at a discount then shop at a wonderfull store with Caribou running through it. Wholesale has been preparing for this for a while and expanding, they will be fine, but the "box stores" have to pay for all that stuff and they pass that onto us as customers, simple economics guys. fancy store fancy pricing. Build it cheap and pass on the bucks to me!! I will check it out of course but wholesale has my vote, I have a friend there and service and knowledge are always great. competition will and should keep the retailers honest, but in the same way locks keep honest people honest, if they are all building these huge fancy store we as consumers will continune to pay for it.
my $0.02
Old 09-12-2010, 08:22 PM

From the horse's mouth.

http://www.cabelas.ca/news_and_information/?newsid=77
Old 10-14-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertslake View Post
Bass Pro's in Calgary, Cabela's in Edmonton, I guess it makes good business sense not having both in same city, at least to start with. Having shopped in both Bass Pro's and Cabela's, I must say I prefer Cabela's selection, prices and customer service.
I wonder how it will affect Wholesale Sports business? ...........maybe realistic prices for a change and an improvement in customer service ?
WSS will now die as it should. I wish Cabelas would come to Saskatoon!
Old 10-14-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sask Hunter View Post
WSS will now die as it should. :
Don't count your eggs before they hatch. Just like BPS where everyone was looking forward to the price savings. lol From what I saw when I was in there they are higher than a lot of places. So I expect that to be the same at Cabela's. After all they have to pay for that new building.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
The Edmonton building's exterior will reflect Cabela's traditional store model with log construction, stonework, wood siding and metal roofing. A large glass storefront will allow customers to view much of the store's interior as they approach the building.

The inside will highlight the company's next-generation layout, which is designed to immerse customers in the outdoor experience and includes conservation-themed wildlife displays, trophy animal mounts, a Gun Library and a Bargain Cave. The store will also feature special interactive displays unique to the World's Foremost Outfitter. Construction is expected to begin in September 2010. - http://www.cabelas.ca/news_and_information/?newsid=77
Sounds good enough to me..
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 10-15-2010, 06:27 AM

Hasen't anyone heard of overhead???? I don't wanna see some gay waterfall scene or a rock fireplace. I want cheap prices and thats all.
They could have a cabellas built in about 2 months if it was to look like a walmart inside just open with lots of shelves of savings.