Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2014, 09:40 AM

Default Buying on ebay

Anyone out there have any experience on buying anything on ebay, I am being bugged by a seller now, I have bit on a set of side steps for my jeep for $135.00, and I bit $138.00. They want to try and get $225.00 off me now. I honestly thought that this site was Canadian as I saw the Canadian flag with the inscription with Free Shipping. I find out that this seller is somewhere in California. Can anyone help and direct me of what I should do, as these rails will not fit the jeep I own, and I already let the seller know this, but they are persisting that I buy them anyway. I understand that it is not ebay, ebay does not get involved with third party sales, so they tell me. Some advise would be very much appreciated.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:50 AM

Sounds like you screwed up and didn't read the fine print, unless I'm missing something?
If you really don't want to pay and can't accept your mistake just ignore the seller - I doubt it is worth their time to try to get the money from you.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:38 AM

Try to get it sorted out with the seller, tell them why it does not work for you in a non-insulting tone. If you sort it out there will be no hurt feelings. Why does this matter? It matters because the seller rates you as a buyer. This means that if you ever want to buy or sell anything in the future you'll have negative comments on your profile which will impact your ability to buy items from other sellers.

fyi It'll cost you more than the purchase price as the shipping is probably free to 48 US states and does not include duty or brokerage costs.

If you do allot of purchasing one negative comment probably won't hurt you too much.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:45 AM

If you bid $138.00 and the seller accepted it then you are only obligated to pay $138.00.

If it was listed as free shipping to Canada then tell the seller to pound sand. If in the fine print there are additional shipping charges to Canada then he may have grounds to pursue you for more, however only for the amount in shipping as specified by the quote. There is no way shipping on 2 rails is almost $100.00 from California.

Try to talk with the seller first. If he is reasonable and something can be worked out that is great.

If he is a jerk you can just close your ebay account, leave him derogatory feed back and open a new ebay account with a new email address.

If you have a solid history on ebay of purchasing then one negative blip will not matter.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:47 AM

You can cancel. Just do not pay. You will not even get a negative anymore, they only give negatives for the seller. I know because after buying a fishing reel in the USA the seller said he was out of stock.

Of course a week later he had them up again

There is no way they can force you to pay. If you had paid paypal already you would be sol, but you hold all the cards.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-20-2014, 10:48 AM

You can cancel the purchase. Go into Customer Support (at the top of the page) and enter "Cancel" in the search box. It should guide you through.

NRA/NFA Supporter and "...gun toting tea party psychotard..." -
Old 02-20-2014, 10:48 AM

Just explain it to them, then ignore them.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
You can cancel. Just do not pay. You will not even get a negative anymore, they only give negatives for the seller. I know because after buying a fishing reel in the USA the seller said he was out of stock.

There is no way they can force you to pay. If you had paid paypal already you would be sol, but you hold all the cards.
Good to know.

I usually bid on items that are in stock and from buyers with high positive feedback scores.

Thanks for sharing that valuable bit of information though!
Old 02-20-2014, 11:09 AM

Typically it is pretty clear that it is in US $ and the shipping is also there and is added when shipped to Canada again in US $, Not sure if this is news to you but the CDN dollar is .90 . Not great to buy things in US $ right now.It is an auction site and it is up to you to read before you get excited and press the bid button. It even asks a few times if you are sure.
any auction whether it is live or not if you bid you buy.
I do not think this is the sellers fault. JMO
Old 02-20-2014, 11:29 AM

Default ebay

Quote:

I did not send them any payment information. I honestly thought I was dealing with a firm from Vancouver.: Thanks a lot guys for all the information, as it makes me feel a lot better and will for sure be a little wiser next time. If that is not satisfactory to them, they can pound sand with my blessings.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly09 View Post
Anyone out there have any experience on buying anything on ebay, I am being bugged by a seller now, I have bit on a set of side steps for my jeep for $135.00, and I bit $138.00. They want to try and get $225.00 off me now. I honestly thought that this site was Canadian as I saw the Canadian flag with the inscription with Free Shipping. I find out that this seller is somewhere in California. Can anyone help and direct me of what I should do, as these rails will not fit the jeep I own, and I already let the seller know this, but they are persisting that I buy them anyway. I understand that it is not ebay, ebay does not get involved with third party sales, so they tell me. Some advise would be very much appreciated.
During what part of the process of bidding did you realize the side rails would not fit your Jeep? Just curious I am....
Old 02-20-2014, 11:53 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
During what part of the process of bidding did you realize the side rails would not fit your Jeep? Just curious I am....
And how is it the seller's responsibility to know if something you buy fits your vehicle? Would you take them if they fit? How about if the price included shipping? How mad would you be if you had the winning bid and the seller said too bad I sold them to someone else? Who is responsible for stuff you buy or bid on?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-20-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
And how is it the seller's responsibility to know if something you buy fits your vehicle? Would you take them if they fit? How about if the price included shipping? How mad would you be if you had the winning bid and the seller said too bad I sold them to someone else? Who is responsible for stuff you buy or bid on?
Not sure exactly what you are trying to say, but this was in regards to the buyer. As stated in the op's post, buyer bid on this item and when did he/she find out that this product would not fit her jeep
Old 02-20-2014, 12:01 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Not sure exactly what you are trying to say, but this was in regards to the buyer. As stated in the op's post, buyer bid on this item and when did he/she find out that this product would not fit her jeep
I wasn't talking to you. sit down and be quiet,

My post was directed at the OP. sorry for the confusion. I shouldn't have quoted your post. My questions were in addition to yours.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:

My post was directed at the OP. sorry for the confusion. I shouldn't have quoted your post. My questions were in addition to yours.
no problem Red
Old 02-20-2014, 12:06 PM
Gone Hunting

Old 02-20-2014, 12:17 PM

Talking

Quote:

Quote:
no problem Red
LOL.

You want me to smak him next time I see him Kevin?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-20-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
LOL.

You want me to smak him next time I see him Kevin?
HAHAHAHA...Thanks Ken...We will let it go this time
Old 02-20-2014, 01:24 PM

I have bought a fair bit of stuff from Ebay. The descriptions are pretty clear on what they fit for make and models of vehicles, the shipping and the dollar you are buying in US or CDN. I am sure it did not just say: " Jeep side steps, fits all and fits any" !!
Sorry you are not going to get a " Poor you " from me when stuff like this happens. Trying to Rally the troops over a mistake you made.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWB View Post
If you bid $138.00 and the seller accepted it then you are only obligated to pay $138.00.

If it was listed as free shipping to Canada then tell the seller to pound sand. If in the fine print there are additional shipping charges to Canada then he may have grounds to pursue you for more, however only for the amount in shipping as specified by the quote. There is no way shipping on 2 rails is almost $100.00 from California.

Try to talk with the seller first. If he is reasonable and something can be worked out that is great.

If he is a jerk you can just close your ebay account, leave him derogatory feed back and open a new ebay account with a new email address.

If you have a solid history on ebay of purchasing then one negative blip will not matter.

There are lots of US sellers on ebay that have the Canadian flag on the product they sell, just means they ship to Canada, doesn't mean "free shipping". If you look in the shipping details (before you buy) it will have a price & who they ship with to get the item to you.
Sounds like the OP got focused on the "free shipping" & didn't do her homework.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:

You don't get negative feedback as a buyer but the seller can leave a strike for a deadbeat buyer, after 2 strikes a seller can set it up so anyone with 2 or more strikes cannot bid on, or use the buy it now option.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:28 PM

Ya, what gmcmax says, no neg but you will get a nonpayment strike.
Curious, you say it is EBay, then you say it is not, as EBay does not get involved in 3rd party transactions,
what does this mean ?
Was this an Ebay buy, or an Ebay link to their online store or something ?

TBark
Old 02-20-2014, 02:50 PM

Smile problem

Sounds to me like you are being charged the higher amount to pay for shipping the items. Free shipping applies only within the USA unless they say so. You can ask the seller to cancel your bid and get out of the deal.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:35 PM

you dont have to pay but will get 1 strike for non payment against you like has been mentioned. Its your fault you bought something that didnt fit your vehicle.