Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 06:19 PM

Default Contractors swearing around kids. BBB

Had the grand kids over this past weekend both were 7 years old and were out side most of the day and next door were some contractors .Not going to say the company name but on the trucks it did say BBB (Better Business Burial.)
Anyways all day long it was F this and F that. .You could hear this from far away as they were on the roof.
Went On line to BBB . and the response I got today :

If any of our contractors use fowel language it was not directed to anybody personally. There is always frustration on construction jobsites. This does not reflect on how proffessional we are on our jobs. Thank you! "

Wow this was shocking to hear this from BBB Contractors.
Was expecting to hear a sorry they should now better !
Old 05-02-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Had the grand kids over this past weekend both were 7 years old and were out side most of the day and next door were some contractors .Not going to say the company name but on the trucks it did say BBB (Better Business Burial.)
Anyways all day long it was F this and F that. .You could hear this from far away as they were on the roof.

If any of our contractors use fowel language it was not directed to anybody personally. There is always frustration on construction jobsites. This does not reflect on how proffessional we are on our jobs. Thank you! "

On the contrary, I would say it does! They could have and should have kept their mouths in check with kids around.

In the future stepping outside and calling them on it would have probably solved it. It sound confrontational to some, but most guys would be respectful and keep it down. Some of them probably don't realize that they are that loud and that there are kids around.

Helps having that name on the side of a truck, too. They do have to answer to someone if there's a complaint. Or should have to!

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 05-02-2016, 06:33 PM

Default Kevin Bloody Wilson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQHVo1naPP8

Warning, language.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:

The BBB actually sent this to you with all the spelling mistakes?
Old 05-02-2016, 06:50 PM

When I was a teen , worked building a grain elevator, eventually high over the town of Didsbury. Word came from town council that they would like us to tone down our language. Uncouth, but think we're naive when it comes to kids and language. My 6 year old granddaughter shocked her babysitting uncle with the F word and assured him she knew the C word as well.

Grizz
Old 05-02-2016, 06:53 PM
Banned

BBB is a joke. Not sure why anyone bothers with them. They're just cheerleaders for any business that gives them some money.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:

Name the contractor, if they have no self respect they sure as heck don't respect the job they're doing. I would not want to hire anyone with no self restraint.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-02-2016, 07:01 PM

I'm sure they hear far worse things from their peers at school. At 7 years of age they know and are familiar with all these words and will use them when with their friends unless of course they are deaf. It is a right of passage, and before you ask..... yes..... girls are just as bad.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
BBB is a joke. Not sure why anyone bothers with them. They're just cheerleaders for any business that gives them some money.
Kinda like APOS
Old 05-02-2016, 07:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I'm sure they hear far worse things from their peers at school. At 7 years of age they know and are familiar with all these words and will use them when with their friends unless of course they are deaf. It is a right of passage, and before you ask..... yes..... girls are just as bad.
Yeah, just do away with all good manners.
Teach 'em young to swear, disrespect their elders...and to heck with holding a door for the elderly.
What a wonderful world it would be
Banned

Quote:
Kinda like APOS
That's exactly what I was just thinking. Same crap, different pile.

Roofers are notorious for that as well as excessive radio volume, being elevated it really carries. I also dislike anyone cursing in public spots such as the line at Tim Hortons or such. I had one co-worker who was bad for that and I made a point about loudly asking/teasing him about his "Tourette's" when he was blabbing a blue streak on our breaks. These days it seems that a lot of teens & young adults have zero issue with swearing in public regardless of who's around.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:07 PM
Gone Hunting

[QUOTE=Grizzly Adams;3219406]When I was a teen , worked building a grain elevator, eventually high over the town of Didsbury. Word came from town council that they would like us to tone down our language. Uncouth, but think we're naive when it comes to kids and language. My 6 year old granddaughter shocked her babysitting uncle with the F word and assured him she knew the C word as well.

My wife works in the public school system and has told me of language that she hears daily on the playground from elementary age kids, including kindergarten. Chances are JR, that the kids have heard it all before, if in fact, not used profanities outside of your hearing. Parents do not think that their little Johnnie or their little Suzy would use that language, but are they sadly mistaken!!!! Too much crap on tv which parents do not censor, because it might interrupt their text time.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Yep. Youngest grandson is six and explained to me this afternoon what the f-word was and what the c-word was. Said a girl and her friend explained it to him at school but he said he knew they were bad words and "not to be used around "big people".
Old 05-02-2016, 07:09 PM
Banned

I curse a blue streak, but not in public or around kids, clients etc.

I think the whole manners thing has been skipped by many parents in the last 20 years or so.

Another thing is losers spitting on sidewalks etc.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:12 PM

I grew up in the 70's and a foul mouth got a good soap mouth washin...LOL

I am disgusted in the foul language every where I go. Some idiots can not go 2 words without saying the word F@$#.....and repeating over and over...

Yes, I have slipped out some bad words in my day, but when I am having a conversation with someone, no where do I need to swear every few words I utter.....

Clean it up folks....You sound like frikkin white trash when you swear so often..

Sorry, this topic really burns my ass and needed to vent...
PS. The C word is the worst...
Old 05-02-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I curse a blue streak, but not in public or around kids, clients etc.

I think the whole manners thing has been skipped by many parents in the last 20 years or so.

Another thing is losers spitting on sidewalks etc.
HAHA...Seen a dad with his 3 kids behind in tow spitting outside more than a few times.....at a local rec center.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:09 PM

Times change and the world keeps spinning. Swears change through the ages. It's like complaining about the weather. Nothing changes.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:12 PM

Here's a truly heartwarming story about the bond formed between a little 5-year-old girl and some construction workers that will make you believe that we all can make a difference when we give a child the gift of our time. A young family moved into a house, next to a vacant lot. One day, a Construction crew turned up to start building a house on the empty lot.
The young family's 5-year-old daughter naturally took an interest in all the activity going on next door and spent much of each day observing the workers.
Eventually the construction crew, all of them "gems-in-the-rough," more or less, adopted her as a kind of project mascot. They chatted with her, let her sit with them while they had coffee and lunch breaks, and gave her little jobs to do here and there to make her feel important.
At the end of the first week, they even presented her with a pay envelope containing ten dollars. The little girl took this home to her mother who suggested that she take her ten dollars "pay" she'd received to the bank the next day to start a savings account.
When the girl and her mom got to the bank, the teller was equally impressed and asked the little girl how she had come by her very own pay check at such a young age.. The little girl proudly replied, "I worked last week with a real construction crew building the new house next door to us."
"Oh my goodness gracious," said the teller, "and will you be working on the house again this week, too?"
The little girl replied, "I will, if those *****holes at Home Depot ever deliver the damn sheet rock..."
Old 05-02-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
Here's a truly heartwarming story about the bond formed between a little 5-year-old girl and some construction workers that will make you believe that we all can make a difference when we give a child the gift of our time. A young family moved into a house, next to a vacant lot. One day, a Construction crew turned up to start building a house on the empty lot.
The young family's 5-year-old daughter naturally took an interest in all the activity going on next door and spent much of each day observing the workers.
Eventually the construction crew, all of them "gems-in-the-rough," more or less, adopted her as a kind of project mascot. They chatted with her, let her sit with them while they had coffee and lunch breaks, and gave her little jobs to do here and there to make her feel important.
At the end of the first week, they even presented her with a pay envelope containing ten dollars. The little girl took this home to her mother who suggested that she take her ten dollars "pay" she'd received to the bank the next day to start a savings account.
When the girl and her mom got to the bank, the teller was equally impressed and asked the little girl how she had come by her very own pay check at such a young age.. The little girl proudly replied, "I worked last week with a real construction crew building the new house next door to us."
"Oh my goodness gracious," said the teller, "and will you be working on the house again this week, too?"
The little girl replied, "I will, if those *****holes at Home Depot ever deliver the damn sheet rock..."
HAHA...Nice
Old 05-02-2016, 08:31 PM

Being that most of my driving is solo I tend to have some colorful opinions towards bad drivers, when junior is with me I tend to have the same sentences that start off audible and trail off quietly when my brain kicks in. Driving Tourette's.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:39 PM
Banned

Quote:

Why didn't you grow a set and go over there and say something to them while it was happening? I don't find thier swearing sad, but your actions sure are...
Old 05-02-2016, 08:47 PM

I avoid cursing regularly, just so that when I do it packs a bigger punch.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:55 PM
Banned

Default Contractors swearing around kids. BBB

Can't blame the guys if they didn't know there was sensitive ears nearby, if the OP didn't approach them and make a request to curb the sailor talk then it's his own problem.

If he had and they continued in the same matter then he can complain.

Four letter words are more prevalent today, online ,on TV and as always from kids who have no proper manners.

It's part of every language. And is an age old problem.
Kids are going to learn the words one way or another. Whether we want them to or not.

Educate your kids on manners and appropriate language skills.

And if it continues take the kids to a kid friendly area and avoid it.

Nice weather we have been having,

Get out there and enjoy it with them.

Better than a less than satisfactory response from BBB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Yeah, just do away with all good manners.
Teach 'em young to swear, disrespect their elders...and to heck with holding a door for the elderly.
What a wonderful world it would be
Aren't you quite the drama queen. That's quite the stretch. Interesting how you extrapolate we should forsake all manners and teach children to be ignorant, disrespect their elders and not hold doors for the elderly from a phrase that said that kids already know the meaning of the words they might hear construction workers say and that they hear worse things at school. I heard worse things in Sunday School back in the 60's and I still always hold the door for the elderly and everyone else.

Have a Snickers dude.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
^^^ This x2
Old 05-02-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Why didn't you grow a set and go over there and say something to them while it was happening? I don't find thier swearing sad, but your actions sure are...
Calling in an anonymous complaint is the new 'man to man', Dave. Get with the times!
Old 05-02-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Bwahahahaha.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:41 PM

Thanks for all the replies.
Sounds like we are all on the same page except the BBB.
The Contractors did come over and made good with the wife while I was at work as I found out much later this evening.
I except their apology .

Please close Thread
Old 05-02-2016, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies.
Sounds like we are all on the same page except the BBB.
The Contractors did come over and made good with the wife while I was at work as I found out much later this evening.
I except their apology .

Please close Thread
ummm... Not gonna say it.
Closed Thread