Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-29-2020, 10:00 AM

Default cold lake questions

I'm considering taking a few personal days over the next couple of weeks, throwing a tent in the back of my boat and chasing some Walter's and/or Lakers. Right now, I'm staring at a map of Cold Lake. I've never fished up that way before. Thought I might give it a try. With all this hot weather, are the lakers super deep this time of year? I don't have downriggers (yet) but I do enjoy bottom bouncing. Anyone willing to share a couple of hints that would help create a more successful trip?
Old 07-29-2020, 10:14 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragweed View Post
I'm considering taking a few personal days over the next couple of weeks, throwing a tent in the back of my boat and chasing some Walter's and/or Lakers. Right now, I'm staring at a map of Cold Lake. I've never fished up that way before. Thought I might give it a try. With all this hot weather, are the lakers super deep this time of year? I don't have downriggers (yet) but I do enjoy bottom bouncing. Anyone willing to share a couple of hints that would help create a more successful trip?
Jigging works wonders if your into that...TC Moto's have been on fire...I suggest you use the search engine and type in cold lake as there is lots of good threads on what to use etc or go on youtube and watch weaversbentrods lake trout jigging....I was out just recently and had them from 50-140' hitting my apex rainbow trout trolling lure that was behind a willow leaf and a pink lady which is a deep diver you troll to get down 50' ish…..I don't use downriggers....and don't jig much as that's what I do all winter.....use the search engine on this forum type in cold lake...good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-29-2020, 10:35 AM

Thanks. Yes I've been reading lots of threads on it as well. Many of the tips/hints/etc... were referring to spring/fall. I'm definitely into jigging but I don't have the ability to hold the boat into a specific spot easily in deep water. I'll take a look at some of the jigging rigs used. Perhaps I just have to get a bit heavier.
I appreciate your hints on your experiences.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:13 AM

Last time I fished for lakers up there a gentleman showed me a neat way to get my spoon deep, 4oz slip sinker, 5ft mono leader and a Northern king trolling spoon. Had a lot od success.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:21 AM

I just got back on Monday. Lake was on fire with lakers. We were down-rigging in 40 - 60 fow. The fish were very picky with the color of spoons presenting, so take a variety of them with you so you can switch it up if needed. Once you get the right color pattern you won't be able to stop the onslaught!
Old 07-29-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Yes I've been reading lots of threads on it as well. Many of the tips/hints/etc... were referring to spring/fall. I'm definitely into jigging but I don't have the ability to hold the boat into a specific spot easily in deep water. I'll take a look at some of the jigging rigs used. Perhaps I just have to get a bit heavier.
I appreciate your hints on your experiences.
If you head over to garnet beach (straight across north from provincial park launch on the east side you will see cabins etc) just a little north come off shore 100-150 yards if you don't have a depth/fish finder and use the wind to blow you over that area you will experience 50-140 ish feet of water and seems to hold bait balls there all year long for the most part...now if windy you will have to increase jig weight...fart around in that area and you will catch lakers...just watch where a lot of boats are just sitting...they are jigging with the odd few trolling around those areas too....I have also caught lakers out front of the ski hill area too....head over to the island if weather and boat size permits....up around English bay.....lots of lakers out there and lots of areas to fish.

Old 07-29-2020, 12:31 PM

great tips. Sounds like if I get shut out...It's my own darn fault. lol
The boat is an older 15' fibreglass, closed bow boat with a 70 on the back. Deep hull. It handles the waves pretty good.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:01 AM

Quote:
great tips. Sounds like if I get shut out...It's my own darn fault. lol
The boat is an older 15' fibreglass, closed bow boat with a 70 on the back. Deep hull. It handles the waves pretty good.
Then the entire lake is yours to explore with that set up but mind you it's a large open body of water and can get grumpy....when I had my 17.5 fish and ski boat I had a brain fart and came back in 6' waves....bilge pump ran the entire time and getting it on the trailer was an adventure too......I got bruised up and so did the boat

Old 07-30-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Then the entire lake is yours to explore with that set up but mind you it's a large open body of water and can get grumpy....when I had my 17.5 fish and ski boat I had a brain fart and came back in 6' waves....bilge pump ran the entire time and getting it on the trailer was an adventure too......I got bruised up and so did the boat

That would not be fun. I would probably be looking for shore after 3’ waves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2020, 03:31 PM

Well I have a site booked for a couple of nights at English Bay this week; mid week. Not gonna lie. I’m pretty excited to check this fishery out. Hope to pop my cherry for a nice Cdn laker. (Caught some nice ones a flathead a few years ago.).

Old 08-03-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Well I have a site booked for a couple of nights at English Bay this week; mid week. Not gonna lie. I’m pretty excited to check this fishery out. Hope to pop my cherry for a nice Cdn laker. (Caught some nice ones a flathead a few years ago.).

Head towards the islands good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2020, 03:53 PM

Are you referring to the big island at the north end?

Old 08-03-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Are you referring to the big island at the north end?

Yes ,there and off the English Bay Point there was lots there last week

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2020, 03:59 PM

just got off the lake and in a few hours we had 14 but not until the overcast blocked out the sun then it was on....odd but that's fishing....

Old 08-03-2020, 08:51 PM

If you are staying at English bay it would be worth imho checking out the hump straight east of the launch a ways. I've heard it called "the tits" but it's more like a hump and a hole. If you have Navionics the mapping is bang on for it and is easy to see.

When the fish are out there it can be pretty good but it can also be a ghost town just depends what the finder is telling you.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:40 PM

I’ve got a new Lowrance and will be trying the social map system. Any cell signal out there in case I don’t get it figured out?

Old 08-04-2020, 05:52 AM

Quote:
I’ve got a new Lowrance and will be trying the social map system. Any cell signal out there in case I don’t get it figured out?

Cell coverage is excellent....remember the wind, if your staying in one area camping there are other launches that can get you out to salvage a relatively ruff weather windy day.....yesterday a south eastern was blowing so that side of the lake was a nightmare but over on the other side accessible by the provincial or French bay was doable....I did it in my putt putt tinner....

Old 08-04-2020, 03:17 PM

Right on.

Old 08-05-2020, 02:52 AM

Garnette and the inside point in French bay were hot for us last week. Most fish came in 70-90ft. Of course we were mainly jigging but the action was pretty steady! Good Luck!
Old 08-05-2020, 04:17 PM

Got my first one today. North of English bay. Missed 3 others. Going to try again this evening. Need a break after fishing and a 6 hour drive. Lol.

Old 08-05-2020, 05:10 PM

garnet all the way...... just hammering there .
Old 08-05-2020, 05:37 PM

Ragweed pm me I will give you some info, I would even be willing to head to Cold lake tomorrow if you are struggling to catch them
Old 08-05-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbloom View Post
Ragweed pm me I will give you some info, I would even be willing to head to Cold lake tomorrow if you are struggling to catch them

Pm sent

Old 08-08-2020, 10:42 AM

Well I managed to hook into a few (4 Lakers) after two days of working the lake. I know it's not the crazy catches that everyone else gets out there, but I enjoyed the trip. Thanks to everyone who shared tips and tricks. I'm sure my lack of success had more to do with tackle, fishing spots, and wind (Thursday morning wasn't that much fun on the English side), than anything else. Looking forward to going back again in the fall.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:48 AM

Well the wind was brutal over the last few days but if you get days to be out in relatively calm weather it is fun....we managed a few but the boat was bucking all over the place and was even hard to troll and keep two lines on areas you wanted to target....