Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-24-2017, 03:49 PM

Default Kitimat crab fishing

I've seen threads in the past on guys crabbing. Any advice for a guy just getting into it? Planning to start crabbing out from Kitimat. Looking for advice on what makes a good pot and maybe some pointers.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-24-2017, 10:52 PM

Have heard in the Douglas Channel that they dive for the crabs and this time of year when you can get at the big ones..
Not sure how fun diving and fighting the currents and tide would be though...
Old 01-24-2017, 10:58 PM

Ya this is when you can get king crab and lots of dungeness. Gonna try the old trap method before I spend any time diving for em.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:45 PM

I'm no Crab fisherman so I have no Idea if this is even Legal in Canada but this is a pretty interesting video of some fishermen in California fishing them using rods and a snare device. Seems to be pretty effective and a bit more fun than just dropping crab pots and leaving them soak for the day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEXljdgDaH4
Old 01-25-2017, 02:00 PM

I caught blue crabs down in Florida just casting out bait then retrieving slowly once I could feel them holding on. They won't let go until you try to pull them out of the water so just get them close then net them.

As for trapping crabs out there, probably better off asking the locals .
Old 01-25-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I'm no Crab fisherman so I have no Idea if this is even Legal in Canada but this is a pretty interesting video of some fishermen in California fishing them using rods and a snare device. Seems to be pretty effective and a bit more fun than just dropping crab pots and leaving them soak for the day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEXljdgDaH4
Thats looks like it would be a blast!!!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2017, 02:06 PM
Banned

Pm sent
Old 01-25-2017, 02:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I caught blue crabs down in Florida just casting out bait then retrieving slowly once I could feel them holding on. They won't let go until you try to pull them out of the water so just get them close then net them.

As for trapping crabs out there, probably better off asking the locals .

Probably don't want to try that method before checking out the regs..... unless of course you don't mind being in hot water.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Probably don't want to try that method before checking out the regs..... unless of course you don't mind being in hot water.
I never commented about doing it in BC but since you just did I looked up the regs and I don't see anything saying you couldn't. You are allowed to fish with bait and you are allowed to catch crab with a dip net.

You aren't allowed to use those snares though.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/r...-eng.html#crab
Old 01-25-2017, 02:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
I never commented about doing it in BC but since you just did I looked up the regs and I don't see anything saying you couldn't. You are allowed to fish with bait and you are allowed to catch crab with a dip net.

You aren't allowed to use those snares though.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/r...-eng.html#crab
You are not allowed to catch crab with a hook
Old 01-25-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
You are not allowed to catch crab with a hook
You don't catch them with the hook, they just hold onto your bait then catch them with the net. Might be a grey area since regs say "Crab may only be harvested by trap, ringnet, dipnet or hand picking" but hard to believe they would have a problem with it. Unlike snares, spears and other illegal methods it doesn't hurt the crabs.

I doubt it would even be effective out there though unless you knew a really good spot. A lot different then sight fishing blue crab in 2 fow...
Old 01-25-2017, 02:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
You don't catch them with the hook, they just hold onto your bait then catch them with the net. Might be a grey area since regs say "Crab may only be harvested by trap, ringnet, dipnet or hand picking" but hard to believe they would have a problem with it. Unlike snares, spears and other illegal methods it doesn't hurt the crabs.

I doubt it would even be effective out there though unless you knew a really good spot. A lot different then sight fishing blue crab in 2 fow...
I caught 2 while jigging for Hali in the inlet where we dropped our crab traps, had to let them go...
Old 01-25-2017, 03:16 PM
Banned

The key is to secure and protected your bait in the pots or you will just get robbed by the tiny crabs and fish, salmon heads work great as bait. We set our pots in 75-150 fow around structure. You'll have big arms after pulling and setting a number of pots.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:28 PM

Appreciate you guys getting this post going. Doing a lot of research on both pot building and the accual fishing. Tough to get info from the locals on the ins and outs but a lot of guys get excited about the king crab showing up right about now. I will post a few pics on my pot design In the next few days when I get a few produced. Also post some pics in action if the weather is nice next weekend.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:33 PM

I've seen a lot of go pro footage on dungeness crab pots at work. Not too thrilled with the doors of the popular pots they sell at most sporting goods stores. Although very popular there seems to be better designs for the doors and size/shape of the pot.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:28 PM

Do you live in Kitimat? I am currently living here right now. You won't catch them from shore in this area, need a boat.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:46 PM

Live in terrace. Not that I'm bored of steelhead fishing but a change of pace would be nice. I do have a boat also.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:33 AM

We always done good where the kitimat river flows into the ocean. You will prob see other pots in the area put yours by them and don't go to far away. We have had them stolen in the past.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:31 PM

Sounds like when the kings are in you want to get away from your classic enclosed trap. Basically you need a monstrous trap if you expect them to crawl in. So the traps I built need to be actively fished and retrieved every 15min or so. Monday looks really nice so well see how it goes. Steelhead fishing is fun but excited to try something different. Winter Chinook, crab, bottom fish and if nothing else I can keep hatchery steelhead out of the kitimat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-01-27 22.23.02.jpg (20.0 KB, 70 views)
Old 01-28-2017, 04:24 AM

Sorry I didn't realize you were going for kings!! I've never caught them in the river mouth but have caught them in sue channel hanging on to the outside of the store bought crab pots. Your hoop trap looks like it will work good. A feed of crab of any kind would be awesome right now, I guess I'll have to settle for perch. Good luck.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:30 PM

So no luck with king crab but got a few dungeness and a nice wild steelhead on the way home. Made a couple enclosure style traps to leave out and focus on steelhead fishing for next time. Give it another shot when the weather warms up on the weekend
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-02-07 16.23.42.jpg (33.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-02-07 16.23.16.jpg (25.2 KB, 30 views)