Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-24-2016, 07:40 PM

Default Bait Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by the11fisherman View Post
Sadly still no reply. It has been three business days now.....so either they ignored the message as something of no importance, are overrun with identical emails from hundreds of fisherman or they are still scratching their heads over the subject.

I promise to let you all know when they finally reply.

Tight lines.
I am going to bet dollars to doughnuts that they are still scratching their heads. Smelts, Herring, Anchovies, Mackerel, Suckers, all dead bait and pose no risk but are not written in the act so could be re writing what is acceptable or what is not, or as you say maybe not worth their time with something that seems trivial as Mackerel are a salt water species as are Herring and Smelts.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
72 posts and 2365 views later, it all stared with this pic .... is Chub Mackerel legal or illegal to use for bait in Alberta.

Hoping you get a reply soon ... otherwise the Mrs. will be eating my Mackerel for dinner.

Z-z

I use mackeral once in a blue moon at Badger or Newel....and will continue to do so....and herring, smelts, minnows as I see fit, till a game warden tells me different
Old 11-24-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
I use mackeral once in a blue moon at Badger or Newel....and will continue to do so....and herring, smelts, minnows as I see fit, till a game warden tells me different
I've been with many a group checked by COs that had all sorts of bait not on this so called list. No issues.

To those others that are really concerned about it, I found a good read for ya:

https://www.amazon.ca/Dont-Sweat-Sma.../dp/0786881852
Old 11-24-2016, 11:51 PM

caught a 25 lb yesterday on a piece of sardine the size of a baby's thumb.

52nd b-day present.

squid is good too
Old 11-28-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
At least they won't go to waste.

Unlike the dog food I bought for my minnow traps. Anybody got a use for a bag of unopened dog food?
The Brooks Office informed you it was legal.

I'm curious why you dont just run with that?

Looper
Old 11-28-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Um, let me think...

Many said it wasn't legal, the act says it's not legal, and I have it in writing that it's not legal and...

Brooks say it's legal.

Well, I dunno what dope they smoke in Brooks... but
unless I was fishing near Brooks and knew the C/Os personally and had it in writing from them....

In an imperfect system where the enforcement clearly doesn't know their own rules, then what's written and the majority win. Highly likely that C/O won't admit he doesn't know what he's talking about when in front of a judge, and highly unlikely the judge will believe you if you tell him otherwise.
What you have in writing is someones interpretation. Just like you, me, and the office in Brooks.

What kind of dope they smoke in Brooks? Pretty childish. I have met them both. Upstanding citizens.

Looper
Old 11-29-2016, 11:00 PM

One thing to take into account is the fact that the regulations use the common term herring which is the Clupeidae family consisting of over 200 types of true herring as well as sardines and anchovies and a lot of other spiecies. Doesn't help with mackerel which is the Scombridae family but by using a common name and not the scientific name makes it a very grey area.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the11fisherman View Post
Posted on Nov 24, 2016

So update on the email to the head guys.........they still haven't gotten back to me. Probably because they are still scratching their heads over it.

11Fish .... any updates from Fish & Wildlife yet ?

Old 11-30-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
11Fish .... any updates from Fish & Wildlife yet ?

Still not so much as a please wait email. They must really be scratching their heads or not care. If they ever do send me an email in return, all of you will be the first people to find out.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:24 AM

Sorry to wade into this thread so late .......... but here's an important point to consider ...

The real reason the SRD and Federal fisheries regulate the type of bait fish you use isn't that they fear a dead frozen salt water fish miraculously coming to life and spawning in freshwater ....... it's because some parasites/pathogens/bacteria/etc...that may be present in the dead/frozen/saltwater baitfish can survive despite being frozen and can cause unwanted consequences to the watershed.

To say "it's stupid" or "doesn't make sense" isn't considering this risk.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Sorry to wade into this thread so late .......... but here's an important point to consider ...

The real reason the SRD and Federal fisheries regulate the type of bait fish you use isn't that they fear a dead frozen salt water fish miraculously coming to life and spawning in freshwater ....... it's because some parasites/pathogens/bacteria/etc...that may be present in the dead/frozen/saltwater baitfish can survive despite being frozen and can cause unwanted consequences to the watershed.

EXACTLY!

This is also the main reason they do not do allot of stocking except into land locked pot hole lakes.

In Alberta's past our stocking has proven to be a VERY effective way of spreading pathogens.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
EXACTLY!

This is also the main reason they do not do allot of stocking except into land locked pot hole lakes.

In Alberta's past our stocking has proven to be a VERY effective way of spreading pathogens.

EZM & Cube Tks, your posts make good sense. The advice to all who read or contributed is NOT to use Mackerel as bait fish in Alberta water. Perhaps #11Fish will still get a reply from F&W HQ. confirming the foregoing.

Time to give this thread a rest!

Old 11-30-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:

EZM & Cube Tks, your posts make good sense. The advice to all who read or contributed is NOT to use Mackerel as bait fish in Alberta water. Perhaps #11Fish will still get a reply from F&W HQ. confirming the foregoing.

What parasites/pathogens do Mackeral have that herring do not?

I don't buy this, any thing to back this science up?

I fully agree that as the regs are written Mackeral Cannot be used lawfully as bait in AB waters That said I believe it is an omission of use not a prohibition of use.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Maybe for you but hold my beer and watch what happens next.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbotman View Post
What parasites/pathogens do Mackeral have that herring do not?.
Red sea bream iridoviral disease is one such disease I believe.

There are no doubt many more but who has time and money to test all the combinations and permutations. Perhaps better safe than sorry.

It was reasons like this that some places have gone to using only certified bait. They certainly looked at brining that here to Alberta as well. If you recall a couple of years ago there was an online questionnaire and they were asking about support for bringing in a certified bait regulation.

Last edited by cube; 12-01-2016 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:45 AM

Have been at Wabamun with all sorts of different superstore bought fish for bait. Have sat and talked with CO's about it and not once did they even bat an eye at what I was using. Though we were kinda crazy because of the size of some of them but no problems or issues. Had it happen multiple times by different CO's, and a few of those times were when barbs were still illegal and they looked for everything to fine you for.

Would like to see what comes of this.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:17 PM

Ctown ... many tks for updating, I imagine 11Fish has never rec'd a reply from F/W HQ, can't understand why they don't respond.

Otherwise ... the only ice out here is in my tall glass & life here in the Desert is about keeping Mr. Hummer, happy!

D.

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 01-09-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
interesting read indeed, guess I can stretch my minnow trap a little!
25 (1) No person shall fish with a minnow trap unless

(a) it is visibly and legibly marked with the person’s name and address; or

(b) it does not exceed 60 m in length or 30 cm in width, depth or diameter.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-10-2017, 01:31 PM

Here's another option .. perfectly legal and very effective ..
http://baitrix.com/fishing-products/...y-whole-baits/
Old 01-10-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Ctown ... many tks for updating, I imagine 11Fish has never rec'd a reply from F/W HQ, can't understand why they don't respond.

Otherwise ... the only ice out here is in my tall glass & life here in the Desert is about keeping Mr. Hummer, happy!

D.

^^^ That hummer doesn't look very happy. Maybe up the sugar content in it's food
Old 04-25-2021, 10:17 AM

Anyone have an update on this issue?
Old 04-25-2021, 01:01 PM

Surprised to see my old thread pop-up ... was wondering the same.

Also found the original pic that was gone in Photobucket .... here it is.

11Fish ... you still around any news to share ?

D.

Old 04-25-2021, 01:14 PM

I have used many different baits for pike including chub mackerel.I intend to phone F&W this week for some answers.

Cant see why as has been stated you cant use any saltwater species along with the listed ones.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:39 AM

Default Update on this thread

I got a response from my e-mail to F&W. You can use other species of dead saltwater fish as bait. Including,anchovies,mackerel and scad.I will try and post the actual e-mail when I can figure out how to do it.(I am somewhat computer compromised)
Old 05-02-2021, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I got a response from my e-mail to F&W. You can use other species of dead saltwater fish as bait. Including,anchovies,mackerel and scad.I will try and post the actual e-mail when I can figure out how to do it.(I am somewhat computer compromised)

Tks for pursuing & sharing with us.

D.

Old 05-02-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
If this is the case maybe there needs to be a push for the regs to clarify this so there is less confusion