Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-03-2017, 05:42 PM

Default Fishing shacks!

So I'm hoping to find time in my schedule in the next couple weeks to finally build the shack I've been wanting to do for about 18 months. Have looked at tons of great pics and designs online (many of them linked to this wonderful forum) and more or less have figured out what I'll build.

Due to storage space constraints, I'm going to do a more or less generic folding style, with the two rigid ends, and the tarp comprising most of the actual shelter.

So the point of my thread is, first off, any advice design wise, or features to incorporate? And second, let's see some pics of all of the great shacks belonging to members out there!
Old 02-04-2017, 11:09 AM

i built one like that years ago. The only advice i have is to go to an upholstery place and get the rubberized canvas rather than using a tarp. It will hold up better and keep it darker inside. Use puck board on your runners so it slides easier on the ice.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:01 PM

Great idea with the puck board! I had considered skinning them with sheet metal, as I have access to a virtually unlimited supply, but that might work better!!! Is the standard 4x8 sheet of plywood a suitable size for a base? Or bigger/smaller maybe better?
Old 02-04-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalt18 View Post
Great idea with the puck board! I had considered skinning them with sheet metal, as I have access to a virtually unlimited supply, but that might work better!!! Is the standard 4x8 sheet of plywood a suitable size for a base? Or bigger/smaller maybe better?
i cut the plywood narrower so the hut fit between the wheelwells in my truck. Also don't cheap out on hinges.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:35 PM

I suspected the hinges would be key, and had planned on going all out. My current pick up is a ranger, so cutting it down to clear the wheel wells probably isn't the best idea. A 4' sheet does slide in nicely over top of them though.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:05 PM

Have the runners extend past the ends of shack at least 8 inches front and back and curve them . Helps with loading and unloading in either direction.No straight edge to catch on something. And puck board all way up the curve with screws countersunk
Old 02-07-2017, 08:42 AM
Banned

I just built a folding 4x8 shack,dual runners on each side covered in puck board,black tarp,the holes are 12" screw in plastic tank lids,I built a 15" bench that runs length wise.I do recommend a canvas tarp.My big buddy keeps it toasty in there.There is one on kijiji for $75