Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-04-2017, 07:27 PM

Default Refillable 1 lb propane bottles.

Refillable 1 lb propane bottles.

1/16 " or so to long for big buddy heater though but could mod it.

https://www.propane-refill.com/colle...refill-package

Might be the future. And looks like might be ok with Transport Canada too.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:54 PM

http://https://www.amazon.com/SHINES...+adapter&psc=1

This is a lot easier and cheaper to use.

As far as transporting them, in the States, I believe that refers to commercial transport not being allowed on refilled bottles - can't speak for Canada.

Bill
Old 02-04-2017, 08:12 PM

I used an adapter today for the first time to refill the normal green 1lbs bottles and if you weigh a new one and use a small scale to keep them all the same weight it should be safe.

You can use the relief valve on the top to purge out air and fill to the same level as a new one.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:54 PM

Have been refilling my tanks for the last couple of years . Haven't looked back. Less than $.50 to refill compared to $6 or to buy a 1LBS tank
Old 02-04-2017, 09:43 PM

I just cart around my 20lb everywhere now that I found out that costco fills 20lb tanks for about $6
Old 02-04-2017, 10:01 PM

I use the adapter on my 20lb tank refilled at Costco. Refilled all 13 bottles I have with propane to spare which I hooked up to the BBQ.
As previously stated: $0.50 a piece, but actually less. My biggest expense is the drive to get the propane!
Old 02-04-2017, 10:10 PM

Not that it matters. I believe it was determined on another AO thread that transporting refilled non refillable bottles is illegal. This method(new refillable bottles) I think is, was, has been approved but I am not 100% sure. Bottles are good for 10 years like regular bottles and are safer to refill and use as they are designed to be refilled. I bought a Mac coupler 4 or so years ago and still havent used it, still sealed in package(have 2 five pound and 2 ten pound bottles anyway).

Old 02-04-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Not that it matters. I believe it was determined on another AO thread that transporting refilled non refillable bottles is illegal. This method(new refillable bottles) I think is, was, has been approved but I am not 100% sure. Bottles are good for 10 years like regular bottles and are safer to refill and use as they are designed to be refilled. I bought a Mac coupler 4 or so years ago and still havent used it, still sealed in package(have 2 five pound and 2 ten pound bottles anyway).
How would they prove you refilled the bottles out of curiosity? For $120 for one refillable 1lb bottle, I will continue to be the true criminal that I am. Civilization be damned!!!
Old 02-05-2017, 12:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
How would they prove you refilled the bottles out of curiosity? For $120 for one refillable 1lb bottle, I will continue to be the true criminal that I am. Civilization be damned!!!
My thoughts exactly. Who'd know? I've been filling them for years. Occasionally you'll get a leaking relief valve but you can tell that immediately after filling and you just let them vent outside.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:22 AM

Nice idea a bottle designed to be refilled should be a good seller.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:40 AM

Been doing the refills for years. Only once I had a 1 lb bottle that had a slow leak past the valve. I make sure empties do not get rain or dirt in the valve. I cap them as soon as they are empty. Put the empties in the freezer before filling to get full.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:09 AM
Banned

I thought I read somewhere you can buy a hose to refill the 1lb bottles? Much easier than the hard brass fitting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3SmiutUY6o

Where can I buy an adapter in Edm?

Last edited by FISHBATTEREDBEER; 02-05-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHBATTEREDBEER View Post
I thought I read somewhere you can buy a hose to refill the 1lb bottles? Much easier than the hard brass fitting.

bought mine at the fishing hole years ago.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:46 AM

I get the economics of it - but what a pain .....

I just went to either full size (20lb) or medium 10lb size tanks for all the stuff I use like the Buddy Heater, the Stove, etc... using a hose adaptor purchased at Canadian Tire.

These full size tanks are easy to fill, and no messing around freezing little 1 lb bottles, weighing them and no worries about leakers.

The only thing I still use the little tanks for is the propane auger.

I think I maybe used 2-3 little 1 lbers all of last season. Bought a 3 pack on sale for something like $10.

The adaptor allows you to run ANY refillable bottle (typically from 5lb mini up to a 20lb standard - or larger - and anything in between) onto a heater, stove or whatever takes those silly little 1 lb bottles.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mr...-0762381p.html

You can also get them on E-bay for like $20-$25

Either way - just my opinion on an alternative way to save a few bucks as well - but without the hassle and worries.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

I just went to either full size (20lb) or medium 10lb size tanks for all the stuff I use like the Buddy Heater, the Stove, etc... using a hose adaptor purchased at Canadian Tire.

These full size tanks are easy to fill, and no messing around freezing little 1 lb bottles, weighing them and no worries about leakers.

I think I maybe used 2-3 little 1 lbers all of last season. Bought a 3 pack on sale for something like $10.

The adaptor allows you to run ANY refillable bottle (typically from 5lb mini up to a 20lb standard - or larger - and anything in between) onto a heater, stove or whatever takes those silly little 1 lb bottles.

Either way - just my opinion on an alternative way to save a few bucks as well - but without the hassle and worries.
^^^^Exactly!!! ^^^
10 lb tank and an extension.... usually put the tank in a milk crate ( upside down in the tent with the camera on top ) it's a perfect table!
Old 02-05-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:

The problem with the 10 lbs tank is the weight.

We hike out to our spots and sometimes its quite the hike so we like to keep things as light as possible. I take 3 or 4 of the small tanks and that lasts me from about 6am to well into the dark at night.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:

X2

Only thing is the Mr Heater hose and some others will not work on OPD valves as they do not have the extruded piece to push the plunger open in the valve. Or at least the ones I looked at.

And if weight is an issue I will fork out the cash and buy 1lber's. My time is worth more than the $15 or so for a 3 pack.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
X2

Only thing is the Mr Heater hose and some others will not work on OPD valves as they do not have the extruded piece to push the plunger open in the valve. Or at least the ones I looked at.

And if weight is an issue I will fork out the cash and buy 1lber's. My time is worth more than the $15 or so for a 3 pack.
Yes - Agreed - you gotta watch what you purchase - there are, indeed, 2 different types. Canadian Tire carries both - just make sure you look to that end piece before buying it.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
The problem with the 10 lbs tank is the weight.

We hike out to our spots and sometimes its quite the hike so we like to keep things as light as possible. I take 3 or 4 of the small tanks and that lasts me from about 6am to well into the dark at night.
Agree - If I'm packing them in/out and breaking trail trough deep snow or are limited to one long sled trip because of the distance - the 1lb bullets or 5 lb mini's make sense for sure.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ma...-0852061p.html

I have one of these for those rare occasions where I'm limited to making a long trip pulling a sled through junk a long ways.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I have quite the collection of 1lb bottles I have acquired over the years. I will fill a dozen 1 lb bottles in about 15 minutes and not one of them gets frozen. I don't weigh them either. Very rarely do I have one leak either. If it does you pop the valve a couple times and leave it outside and in a minute or three it seats and seals. No near-death experiences. It takes me a lot longer to refill the 20lber than it does to do 12-15 1lbers. It really goes quickly when using the relief valve method.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:34 PM

How long does it take to fill a 1lb bottle
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 02-05-2017, 03:41 PM

OK since we're on the subject, can anyone tell me why I can get my Coleman roadmate BBQ to work with a #20 tank and the adapter hose for 1# bottles? I can get anything to work. I've tried 3 different bottles and 3 different hoses and nothing but it works perfectly fine when I put a 1# bottle on.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
How long does it take to fill a 1lb bottle
About 2 mins...
Old 02-05-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:

Ya but its a real tight squeeze getting a 20 or 10 lber into the holder on my propane ice auger.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:40 PM

Well filled 5 one pound bottles tonight was very easy.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 02-05-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
Ya but its a real tight squeeze getting a 20 or 10 lber into the holder on my propane ice auger.
No problem - nothing that duct tape won't fix ..... and a cycle of deca dbol or some other steroid. A 20 lber would be awkward to handle.

You might grow boobs, and some extra hair but you will be strong enough to handle it and man enough to punch anyone out who laughs at you using it.

Like I said in my very first post - the only time I use the little 1 lb bullets is on my propane auger - although duct tape can bring out the creativity in everyone and a good roid rage is always fun for the family.

Maybe you are on to something.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
No problem - nothing that duct tape won't fix ..... and a cycle of deca dbol or some other steroid. A 20 lber would be awkward to handle.

You might grow boobs, and some extra hair but you will be strong enough to handle it and man enough to punch anyone out who laughs at you using it.

Like I said in my very first post - the only time I use the little 1 lb bullets is on my propane auger - although duct tape can bring out the creativity in everyone and a good roid rage is always fun for the family.

Maybe you are on to something.
Or backpack propane bottle with over the shoulder adapter hose.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:07 AM

Quote:
They are illegal to use in Canada so most places don't carry them.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:54 AM

Quote:

The reel doctor sells them.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:25 AM

I admit that I refill the disposable 1 lb bottles as well. I really like the convenience of having a dozen or so ready to go on an ice fishing trip. I also like the cost of a refilled bottle vs paying retail for new one pounders. I will look into the purpose built refillable bottles now. I had a rather scary experience last year. I have a wooden box in the back of my side by side when ice fishing that I keep the bottles in. When emptying it out after a trip I noticed the neck had separated from the bottle on an empty. When I inspected it, it was quite rusty inside the bottle. I was also shocked at how little weld there is holding the connector on the bottle. Even though it had taken me a little while to build my supply of these bottles, I discarded them all. I still refill but now I write the date I originally purchased the bottle on it with felt tip marker and discard them after 2 years. Thankfully it wasn't a full bottle that failed. I often keep a couple bottles warm in the truck to use on my propane auger.

Last edited by wellpastcold; 02-06-2017 at 06:31 AM.