Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-07-2024, 05:18 PM

Thanks for all that have chimed in. I’ve got my mind pretty set to try out a truck camper.

I put on a set of Goodyear Wrangler load range E tires on. Getting a set of turn buckles and a bed mat are next. Getting excited to hopefully find a camper here in next few months. I’m only into the truck for just over ten grand so trying to keep this all done for hopefully under $20k would be great.

Old 01-07-2024, 09:14 PM

Definitely give a truck camper a try.

Our first RV was an old Edson 10', which was a big step up from a dome tent or a truck box tent, especially if it snowed overnight. It only had a gravity heater, but waking up warm, dry and up off of the ground was a pretty nice change. I originally hauled with a '99 GMC 2500 extended cab 4x4 longbox with a 6l. I then hauled it with a '93 F250 supercab long box 4x4 with a 460 (It had airbags in the front and back, so it handled the camper like a dream as the camper was pretty bare boned and not that heavy). Then I picked up a 94 F350 single wheel crewcab long box with an old 7.3 idi diesel and a 5 speed manual which worked even better as there was more room in the cab. During that time I had a 6x12 PJ trailer with side load ramps and a rear ramp that we used to haul the quad and dirt bikes, so it was a pretty sweet setup for getting off of the beaten trail. As more and more of us started having kids, the ATV's and dirt bikes were getting used less and less while out camping, so we ended up selling the bikes and buying an older 5th wheel trailer. So instead of ATV and dirt biking, we were mountain biking and hiking more which again wasn't a bad thing, it just represented different stages of our life.

Looking back, the truck/camper and trailer combo was my favorite as we certainly got into remote areas a lot more often compared to dragging the 5th wheel. Plus I found that with less square footage, we (especially the kids) would spend a lot more time outside around the camp fire. One thing that we found was really handy to pack around in the truck camper was a pop up gazebo that was screened in. We'd always set up our chairs and table inside if it was raining out or the bugs were too bad, or we'd just set it up over the picnic table if we went to a campsite. Our dog also liked it to keep out of the rain or the sun.
Old 01-27-2024, 10:25 AM

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...92/?ref=search

If I was in the market for a truck camper, this is the one. Big northern lite fibreglass unit with electric jacks for a pretty good price.
Old 01-27-2024, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post

If I was in the market for a truck camper, this is the one. Big northern lite fibreglass unit with electric jacks for a pretty good price.
That is definitely a very solid price. And it is the 10-2, that is exactly the camper I'd be buying if I were to upgrade. Pretty sure it has the full size queen and not an RV queen.
Old 01-27-2024, 05:17 PM

Yeah I’m always looking at truck campers and that is a great buy. And a great unit. Would fit nicely on the deck of my 5500. But unfortunately I don’t have 15k to blow on a camper right now.
Old 01-27-2024, 07:08 PM

Default Campers

If it is one or two guys a tuck camper will do. If your wife or kids want to use the toilet at 3 AM a pull type has more room and a USEABLE bathroom. Happy wife = a happy camper. We have been married 54 years and still camping.
Old 03-25-2024, 09:27 PM

Finally after much looking, I bought a truck camper today: 1994 Bigfoot 8’ model. Owned locally by a very nice retired couple who used it sparingly and stored it in a shop whenever not in use. It’s in absolutely phenomenal shape inside and out.

I’m officially $20,700 into my truck and camper setup with still some more money needed to be spent, so I’m a bit over my $20k budget I originally had in mind but I think this will be overall be a great setup for the money.

Now to order jack extensions for the front jacks and a bed mat, then get it loaded on my truck. Getting fast excited for summer camping now!

Old 03-25-2024, 11:08 PM

That looks like a real nice clean unit. Now for planning the maiden voyage.
Old 03-26-2024, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post

Northern lights are nice , one draw back is they are narrow so they have less room . But if you plan to leave this camper on the truck all year around ,a narrow camper are nicer for viewing whats behind you on your side mirrors .Narrow campers are very hard to load as the jacks will be inches away from your truck side instead of 6 inches . So the ground has to be very level and you have to be very straight backing up.
Big foot camper are a better choice .
Having the kitchen table on same side as the bath room is the best . if its the other way the bathroom door will hit the seating area .
Old 03-26-2024, 06:57 AM

I just read more posting .you bought bought a big foot congrats .
I have the same year Bigfoot. Pm me a I have some jack extentions that will bring the front set just on the out side of your camper .

Some little things you might want to do is place some window screening material and attach it to the upper and lower vents of the fridge .
I replaced my fridge last year and found 3 hornet nests inside .
The sad news about a replacement fridge is there is only one 3 way fridge on the market and its $3000.(not installed) . The sad news is ,it will not fit threw the door .
After doing a lot of research i found out a lot of people are replacing the fridge with a small house fridges . Not just in truck campers but also big 5 wheel trailers ,because they keep a constant temp. They take very little 110 volt amps so you can use a little inverter so you can run it off your battery while traveling . My inverter is the size of my hand .
Good luck and enjoy.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:21 AM

Default Camping

Have had truck bed campers, one bumper pull trailer and 5th wheel trailers with different trucks. It depends on how many people will be camping and very important what age they are. We are 72 and 75, not over weight and with no children or grandkids with us now. We need a useable size bathroom, no stairs to climb and I think my favorite person in the world deserves some comfort. Don`t think we are tottering old fogies, we still hike, eat fish we catch and shoot deer or moose each year. For 2 people in our situation a 25 ft. 5th wheel trailer works just fine.
Old 03-29-2024, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
had two truck campers. A weekend in them was enough. Two crowded even with two people. Not enough room inside for gear [even though packs etc can be left in crewcab] the bathrooms are kid sized. Went to a 24' bumper pull and its like night and day for gear you need inside. Good sized fridge and breakfast nook vs the campers tiny belly squasher. 100% more comfortable. I can tow it as far as I want to go up forestry /well roads and into a clearing to setup without gettin in a jackpot and you probably wont go much further in a camper. Quad goes in truck box and give er.
How was your
boat behind that trailer
Old 03-29-2024, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I can tell you don't own a large camper and think making fun of people is a useful endeavour.

The issue isn't being able to back the trailer in properly, the issue is that the larger campers stick out past the box and hang down quite low. Many launches, the tail of the camper is in the water before you get the trailer in far enough. That is not good for any camper.

I pull a 19 ft boat with 20” extension on a 3500 dually with a 9’6” camper with a drop down on it, never found a boat launch yet that came close to touching the camper. It’s plenty easy to back up as the boat is the same width I’d the camper. No different than if the camper was off to back up. Now if you had a tiny tinner that would change as by the time your mirrors see it the trailer is already well on the way
Old 03-29-2024, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Northern lights are nice , one draw back is they are narrow so they have less room . But if you plan to leave this camper on the truck all year around ,a narrow camper are nicer for viewing whats behind you on your side mirrors .Narrow campers are very hard to load as the jacks will be inches away from your truck side instead of 6 inches . So the ground has to be very level and you have to be very straight backing up.
Big foot camper are a better choice .
Having the kitchen table on same side as the bath room is the best . if its the other way the bathroom door will hit the seating area .
That’s crazy talk, if the table is on the same side as the fridge the bathroom door opens up to the fridge
Old 04-16-2024, 06:39 PM

Well here’s the setup. Very excited to get it out on it’s maiden voyage.

Old 04-16-2024, 06:51 PM

That's a nice looking set up jstubbs, I think you got it done for an excellent price too. I expect you'll enjoy it a lot. Happy camping!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-16-2024, 07:46 PM

Looking sharp.
Old 04-16-2024, 08:25 PM

I had an 8' camper on a 1/2 ton, your rig is sweet!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King