Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-12-2023, 05:50 AM

Default Flying with westjet

Flying home from Winnipeg to Edmonton, found the elusive 4-10 shells. What do I have to do to fly with them, I’m on hold with WestJet to find out. Do they need to be in a locked case?
Old 09-12-2023, 08:53 AM

Hi, this link is direct from the Westjet website, no mention of locked container:

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/baggage/fishing-hunting

Be sure to make note of the 11 pound maximum weight.
Old 09-12-2023, 09:15 AM

Like Back Country Hunter said...

Quote:
Ammunition must be:
  • Securely packaged and packed separately from the firearm, however it is permitted to be transported within the same container.
  • Carried in sturdy baggage not weighing more than 5 kg (11 lb.) gross weight per person (excluding ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles)
  • Packaged in the manufacturer's original container or an equivalent sturdy, durable container that provides sufficient cartridge separation
Old 09-13-2023, 09:14 AM

I have flown with firearms and firearms related goods with WestJet multiple times and it's imperative that you stick to their rules and have them pulled up on your phone or printed out as they usually don't know their own rules.
The usual runaround is them asking if I'm military or police then looking wide eyed at a co worker or supervisor when you say no. Show them their own rules and state everything is in proper packaging etc. They will take you to a seperate room where it will be scanned and they will ask to see it in proper packaging.
Keep a small roll of tape in your bag so if a box looks like it may pop open in transit you can tape it up to make the security inspector happy.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 02-08-2024, 01:14 PM

If just travelling with ammunition under 11lb it’s no hassle at all. Just went through this today after picking up a few boxes of 410 in my travels from work to home. Kept everything in factory boxes and placed in a Costco cooler bag no fancy locking container required. Went to the check in counter told him I had ammunition in the bag and wished to check in the bag. He grabbed a firearms decoration form I filled out the 5 questions put one copy in the bag with the 410 shells, I kept 1 copy and they kept 1 copy. Took the bag over to oversized baggage screening sent it through and I was on my way. From when I reached the check in counter to having the bag through screening maybe 10 minutes. Never got asked to see my licence and No one open the bag even to look though it but that may happen behind the scenes.