Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-10-2024, 09:07 AM

Default Pistol calibre carbines

I have not noticed much talk about these fun options. I have several in 9mm and love bringing them out. Any opinions or anecdotes to share?
Old 02-10-2024, 10:49 AM

After owning a few, probably the best option is the Lockhart Raven 9. They work well and are lefty friendly.
Old 02-10-2024, 11:37 AM

i have the Kodiak Defence K9. Put a Vortex red dot on it, and it’s just super fun to shoot. 500 rnds, zero issues.
It was like $1000 bucks. Shares the ar platform. I like it. Tend to go through way more 9mm than anticipated.

Tullfan
Old 02-10-2024, 11:40 AM

They will certainly eat 9mm ammo like a fat kid on M&Ms! I don't have one, but I've been out with friends and fed a few. Good fun.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-10-2024, 11:54 AM

I have the Ruger PC Carbine with the Magpul stock on it. I put a Holosun red dot on it, and I have to say, it's a ton of fun to shoot.
Old 02-10-2024, 12:09 PM

I've been wanting to get one for a while. They'd be so fun to shoot. Too bad the price of 9mm has skyrocketed. I'm sure they have a huge appetite.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2024, 03:50 PM

Anyone use them for hunting?
Compared to my pistols, that extra barrel length certainly changes the performance!
Plus the other options out there in .40 and 10mm on top of the original .357 and .44 certainly would pack a punch.
Old 02-10-2024, 04:02 PM

44 Mag carbine for hunting is great, works really well if you keep it under 100 yards
Old 02-10-2024, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmai View Post
Anyone use them for hunting?
Compared to my pistols, that extra barrel length certainly changes the performance!
Plus the other options out there in .40 and 10mm on top of the original .357 and .44 certainly would pack a punch.
Most semi auto PCC are 9mm or .45 ACP. Neither of which is something anyone should hunt with.

A lever carbine in .44 Mag, or even .357 is another matter.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-10-2024, 04:08 PM

I used to have two levers in 357, a Winchester 1892, and a Marlin. I used them for plinking at the range, with some 38spl loads that I found cheap. I saw a used Marlin at the gunshow today for $1650.
Old 02-10-2024, 04:39 PM

Default positively won't work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSps0_IoV9A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FZwazdS3EA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM2ifggeH0Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8s12eTbE8k

Last edited by Pioneer2; 02-10-2024 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-10-2024, 05:07 PM

I was thinking of getting one couple of years ago just for a fun purpose. But then I came across the GSG16 rimfire. Bought it on sale for like $450. That’s a fun gun to shoot and cheap too!
Old 02-10-2024, 05:13 PM

You can kill stuff with a 10/22 as well. Is it the best option? The maximum energy of a 9mm at muzzle is less then 480 ft lbs. A .45 ACP is maybe 550 ft lbs max. But sure, go hunt with it because other guys have done it.

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 02-10-2024 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-10-2024, 06:16 PM

I bought mine because I have a 9mm pistol. Now when I find ammo at a good price it goes further. That was my reasoning. Was never intended to hunt with. Just to put lots of rounds down range, fast. Lol

Tullfan
Old 02-10-2024, 06:59 PM

I had this one in .40 for a few while. I couldn’t stand the vibration that used to come up the stock to my cheek. It didn’t hurt, it reminded me of a toy and combined with the lack of recoil it didn’t bring me any joy. Combined with how useless it was I punted it down the road.

Now if we are talking stuff like this .44 I think everyone should have one. Great walking around gun.

Old 02-10-2024, 08:54 PM

I traded for one that is a Freedom Ordenance FX9 with 18.6 barrel. Runs really good, just need to find more magazines that run good. I'm really impressed with it, I think I'll use it more than my lever 44 I had.

Also if people are interested, the 3 gun league at CHAS has a PCC division that is just 12 gauge and PCC, no handgun. If you're in that boat and want to get out and do some running and gunning.
Old 02-10-2024, 10:28 PM

Although it is possible to take the smaller big game, i see no issue with any small game or even larger pest control.
Old 02-10-2024, 10:57 PM

Small game and pest control it would be excellent.

Old 02-11-2024, 07:10 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I had this one in .40 for a few while. I couldn’t stand the vibration that used to come up the stock to my cheek. It didn’t hurt, it reminded me of a toy and combined with the lack of recoil it didn’t bring me any joy. Combined with how useless it was I punted it down the road.

Now if we are talking stuff like this .44 I think everyone should have one. Great walking around gun.

Luv the 44mag....a few deer have met it too
1976 JM stamped no cross bolt safety Marlin I got 6 years ago and just like it for many applications.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-11-2024, 10:44 AM

Default And how many deer have been taken

with the lowly 32-20 ,38-40 and it's big brother the 44-40? Set up your stand at bow range and shoot straight. Kaiser Wilhelm hunted boar and red deer with a 9mm artillery Luger ,shoulder stocked because of a disabled arm . I guess it works if you do. With Gold Dots all I see is steaks. Next we can argue about the use of .22 CF on deer even though the AR15 in 5.56 is the most popular deer round in Texas.
Old 02-11-2024, 11:57 AM

I won't argue about any of it. What you *can* do and what you *should* do is your own business. Your opinion and mine may not be the same, but it's certainly not worth an argument. As long as a person takes his game ethically and humanely, within their skill set and ability, that's all that concerns me. Some are more profficient then others.

Old 02-12-2024, 08:43 AM

The experience shooting them is kind of like a punchy 22LR. They're blowback mechanisms and surprisingly 22-like. The Rugers seem to feel the heaviest, but are also considered by many to be the best choice. Aftermarket support, parts, etc.

Nobody I know with one uses them for anything but plinking/targets. Even a buddy of mine who has a farm and no shortage of pest issues-still uses rimfire.

Fun guns for sure, I've tried a few types.