Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-29-2017, 02:38 PM

Default Screw it I'm going fishing

I'm lucky enough to have 12 days off over the holidays and it's been really cold everyday so far so screw this I'm going fishing tomorrow I don't care if it's going to be -30 without the wind chill I'm going fishing and sure hope the fish appreciate my efforts and hit my line a few times. Anyone else been out during this cold snap and have any luck?
Old 12-29-2017, 03:19 PM

Good on ya!
I've always found fish and all animals for that matter understand the effort some guys put into their outdoor pursuits. The fish will always bite better for the guy who walked out 300 yds pulling a 100kg sled, set up next to the dude fishing out the window of his F350 King Ranch.
Simply put, it's karma!
That's my theory anyway.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:33 PM

Default Screw it I'm going fishing

Lmao that's hilarious I think the same and in all honestly I thinks they do!!I've had better luck consistently when it's below about -20. I went out Boxing Day morning at - 33 but never gave it much time and the fish weren't awake yet as it was 6:30am after boxing day shopping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2017, 04:29 PM

We used to go all the time in the cold temps, before tents too. Brave the cold for a while, jump in truck to warm up. Or if it was really cold, put out your allowed limit and watch tip ups from a warm cab.

Just remember, fish eyes freeze real fast if your catching and releasing in the cold temps. Now I got tents, power augers and a heater but can't get out near as much as I would like in the cold.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:32 PM

My son and I fished last winter in -25 to -30 a few times. I haven’t been able to make myself brave the cold yet this year though.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 12-29-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
We used to go all the time in the cold temps, before tents too. Brave the cold for a while, jump in truck to warm up. Or if it was really cold, put out your allowed limit and watch tip ups from a warm cab.

Just remember, fish eyes freeze real fast if your catching and releasing in the cold temps. Now I got tents, power augers and a heater but can't get out near as much as I would like in the cold.

I hear you there and appreciate the reminder. I'll be in a tent but what's not being kept will be released in the hole for sure. No time for pictures and release in these temps
Old 12-29-2017, 07:16 PM

We have been out a few times in minus 25 to minus 30 weather.

Set up and take down sucks but you can always keep the vehicle running and duck into it for a few minutes to warm up if needed.

Once your set up and the heater is going - things are good.

I don't think I'd go out in that weather unless I was able to drive on the ice and to the spot.

I've pulled a sled on early season in minus 20 with some wind and that really really sucked.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:37 PM

Yup I remember one year awhile back I went out to eastpit and it was -41 when I pulled insnow was also almost up to my knees and I thought to myself in the middle of cursing myself that if I could make it to the top going up would be easy but after using up almost everything I had getting to the top and then looking down knowing I'd have to come back up AGAIN I said screw it, turned around and went across the big street to Wabthat was only time I really wondered if I was crazy or just a true fisherman lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2017, 07:46 PM

I fish out in whatever temp it is when in AB. Temps never stopped me and I don't do shelter fishing. Just wear more clothing and hole hop lots and you'll stay warm. Cold is just a feeling.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 12-29-2017, 07:54 PM

Ya i was out during this cold snap,i drove on wich does help alot. But if you dress for the conditions its managable but the wind can be the deciding factor.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:28 AM

Well it was a great day on the lake in the bitter cold only managed one pike between 2 of us and thank goodness buddy also brought his auger as my pull cord broke about 5 pulls in trying to get it started.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:48 AM

Default Cold temp fishing

A couple of us went out on dec 28 this year from before sun up , until well after dark.It was a torture test on our gear but we still managed 15 rainbows threw the ice! I recently bought a frabill, one man flipover tent and with my big buddy heater I can’t imagine it ever being to cold to fish. The pack in and out was intense but the actual fishing was comfortable! It looks like the cold is gonna break in the next couple of days, now if it would just snow so I could use my skidoo! Good luck all.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:12 AM

For the guys that work long hours day and night out in the cold every day for decades, time off is meant to sit inside and let the body take a break from the cold!!!!

Working inside now I find a little fishing trip or snowmobile ride in -30 is no big deal.