Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-30-2024, 08:18 PM

Default Ammo/Components Availabilty

Ordered some factory stuff from PR, very experienced sales guy tells me ammo & components are getting easier to source. We didn't discuss price.... Still good news though, now we can shop a bit again. Good luck shooters!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 01-30-2024, 08:26 PM

Some components are getting much easier to find, some haven't been available for a couple of years, and are still not available.
Old 01-31-2024, 04:37 AM

For sure components are becoming more readily available, the costs have risen significantly but at least now there are some to be had from retail outlets instead of scalpers.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-31-2024, 04:42 AM

Nosler bullets in some calibres are still difficult to find and when you do the prices are significantly higher than other manufacturers.
Old 01-31-2024, 07:02 AM

I agree on the nosler issue. I like a couple of there bullets but refuse to pay the nosler tax. Took the time to find another load for half the price
Old 01-31-2024, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post
I agree on the nosler issue. I like a couple of there bullets but refuse to pay the nosler tax. Took the time to find another load for half the price

Agree on current Nosler prices. I have old stock I will keep using but if I ran out I would use either Barnes, slightly less, or Hornady, about half at current prices. Nosler makes great components but their prices are nuts, I can buy 200 Lapua for the price of 75 Nosler brass.
Old 01-31-2024, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Agree on current Nosler prices. I have old stock I will keep using but if I ran out I would use either Barnes, slightly less, or Hornady, about half at current prices. Nosler makes great components but their prices are nuts, I can buy 200 Lapua for the price of 75 Nosler brass.
If you can find blemish rounds from bowler they’re less than 50%. I got a hundred for 65$ last August, 165gr accubonds for my .308. White tips are an off color yellow/white. I’m guessing that’s the issue as the copper is bright and shiny. I was skeptical at first but have had no issues.

Last edited by fordtruckin; 01-31-2024 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-31-2024, 11:28 AM

Default Marketing 101, create false expectations

I'll start this off by saying that Nosler makes a great product, always have. This is not meant to slight their quality in any way.

Having said that, Nosler has always been ridiculously priced when compared to equivalent product offerings from other manufacturers. They started off with the celebrity endorsement name game, priced their products like Gucci, and people bought into it.
Now that the spread is getting evening more egregious, some people are starting to take notice and switching to alternate products.
Time will tell if enough people are still willing to pay their exorbitant prices.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 01-31-2024, 03:20 PM

Hopefully the tide is changing with availability but I'm not holding my breath with all the conflicts currently happening around the world.
The next Canadian/US elections will also help decide Canadian components availability going forward IMO.
One thing I know will be true is the prices won't drop if the shortages ease up a bit, companies are too greedy now letting go of the profits they're making.

As for Nosler, I like their projectiles and have been shooting their products for my varmint and big game rigs mostly for the last 20+ years but I've already stocked up on Barnes/Sierra/Hornady projectiles for when my Nosler supply runs out.
I refuse to pay the prices Nosler is now asking, they're ridiculous......
Old 01-31-2024, 04:45 PM

I was in P&D this morning. Their inventory of Nosler bullets was better than I have seen in a couple years. They even had 25 cal 110 accubonds.
Old 01-31-2024, 10:52 PM

Default suitable stock levels

I have the personalstock levels returning to normal,Im a Nosler guy and try to keep stock levels up,its nice to see what I needed back in shelves.Sure there a bit more expensive but the confidence od 35 plus years of using them is peace of mind.If i was to swap out and go through the load development again,not sure if I would be saving enough to bother.The extra primers,hard to find powder and extra firing on brass,Im just happy the noslers I use are around.
Old 02-02-2024, 10:05 PM

Interested to see how long the factory ammo I ordered takes to arrive. I did tell them no rush, I have lots but will need more.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 02-02-2024, 10:49 PM

Stopped into Fulcrum in Ft MacLeod and cruised the aisles. Yes lots of Nosler Accubond in stock. 7mm 140gr $90 50 bullets. I like them a lot but Hornady Interlock 7mm 139gr are $60 per 100. Nosler is three times the price of Hornady
Old 02-03-2024, 12:44 AM

Nosler has been on the shelves here in town for a long while, but the prices seem to be keeping it there.
Old 02-03-2024, 07:38 AM

When a person considers the price of bonded , H mantel style , or monometal bullets compared to standard cup a d core bullets, the price of some projectiles is understandable .
Getting these projectiles can be troublesome AR times however .
I can't remember the last time I saw a box of RWS or Brennke H mantel bullets for sale, but I know they (as GS Custom bullets and Woodleighs for instance) are super expensive compared to standard cup and core style hunting bullets.
They work very well however , and if a person zeroed and/ or practiced with a cup and core then re- zeroed with a more expensive bullet the expense can be nullified to an extent.
Cat
Old 02-17-2024, 05:34 PM

I bought some H1000 a few weeks ago. I noticed they had more today, same lot number so it's probably been sitting there in stock. Maybe the supply is good right now though. However, in three weeks, the price went from $89 out the door to $105 out the door.
Old 02-17-2024, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFitter View Post
I bought some H1000 a few weeks ago. I noticed they had more today, same lot number so it's probably been sitting there in stock. Maybe the supply is good right now though. However, in three weeks, the price went from $89 out the door to $105 out the door.
I remember when common normal people could get into reloading for cheap. Used to shoot thousands of rounds of 30/06 a year. Basically if you had the time you could have fun.
Used to be able to just walk into hardware store and buy deer tags.
Could even access a lot of land to hunt. 4831 was under $20 a pound not that long ago.
Its like a new type of gun control. Deep pockets to take part in it now.
Old 02-17-2024, 06:30 PM

IMR4350 is North of $100 now if you can find it

Old 02-17-2024, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
I remember when common normal people could get into reloading for cheap. Used to shoot thousands of rounds of 30/06 a year. Basically if you had the time you could have fun.
Used to be able to just walk into hardware store and buy deer tags.
Could even access a lot of land to hunt. 4831 was under $20 a pound not that long ago.
Its like a new type of gun control. Deep pockets to take part in it now.
And now that they realize that we will still buy it, they won't drop the prices even when the military actions are over, which will drive the demand down.
Old 02-17-2024, 08:04 PM

I wish I could find some RL 26 to burn for my 7PRC
Old 02-17-2024, 08:10 PM

Weird you guys are still dealing with shortages. The last time I wanted primers I just went and bought them at the first store I walked into. Powder is $130/kg, bullets of every brand are stocked on the shelves. Factory ammo stocked to the rafters.
Old 02-17-2024, 08:35 PM

Woof. $100 per pound of powder is insane. The prices are certainly pushing out the average earner. Brutal.