Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-14-2024, 11:52 AM

Default CZ527 American in 22 Hornet

Hey guys-bit of a back story. Been looking for this rifle on/off for years, and have effectively given up. Partly because of the lack of success finding one, but also because I'm better off staying out of buy&sells. Basically, due to a lack of discipline...frustration grows, and I eventually buy something else to scratch the itch and deplete the new-gun budget! lol

Not all bad, I ended-up with a 527 Varmint in 17Hornet when this search kicked-off originally, and it's a beauty. Capable caliber too.

Been a spendy few weeks around here, so no shopping planned in the immediate future, but looking for input on this rifle/in this caliber. The 527s get talked about, seems to be pretty easy to find varmints in .223, the odd one in 204...but the little Hornet eludes me. Wasn't ever that popular, or owners won't let 'em go?
Old 02-14-2024, 12:10 PM

Only a couple manufacturers still making the 22 Hornet. I've had a Ruger for decades, just picked up an Anschutz 1432 with a McMillan stock. Absolutely love the caliber & both guns, sure the 223 works but this is just fun. Good luck in your search!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 02-14-2024, 10:39 PM

Well I typed up a long winded explanation on why I like the .17 Hornet with 25gr. V-Max.
And the .22 Hornet with PPU factory rounds. 45 gr.
Then I hit the stupid delete button.
Anyhow: buy a RCBS set of dies. I tried Hornady dies and they did not size the case mouth enough and I was collapsing cases (a LOT) got some RCBS dies and never looked back.
Did not like Lil Gun, stinks, and pressure curve was wild, settled on IMR 4198 IF memory serves me correctly in the .17

Still working up a load for the .22 Hornet that will out shoot the PPU factory stuff.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-15-2024, 04:47 AM

I had a Ruger 77 in 22 hornet years back, nice gun and shot ok, it was part of an estate that I bought out, I never loaded for it as it came with about 500 rounds of factory loads, don't recall the brand, I shot it for a while then sold it off as I had a CZ 527 in 17 hornet also, way more fun plunking gophers with those little 20gr Zmax, shreds them, was loading 10gr Lillgun behind them

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-15-2024, 05:46 AM

I had an Anschutz 1730HB in 22 Hornet, and it shot well with the 40gr V-max and LilGun. I had a Ruger in 17Hornet but accuracy was inconsistent. I then bought a 527 in 17Hornet, and it was much more accurate. I now have Cooper in 17Hornet , that is even more accurate than the 527, with both LilGun and CFE-BLK.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:50 AM

I know of 2 in retail stock of the new ruger 77 hornets. Let me know if you are still looking and I can point you into their direction.

18" threaded barrel, laminate green stocks. Yea they are nice, just not a caliber I need or want to add, so passed on them.

Hopefully they are still there as of today.
Old 02-15-2024, 10:10 AM

I have a CZ in 22H, also had them in 17H. Will never sell the 22H, sold both 17H, prefer the 17 FB, better brass, more velocity and easier to load. The 22H loaded correctly can be tremendously accurate. Had 2 left hand micro Brownings, very rare rifles. They both shot great but not quite as good as my CZ. Guy offered me so much money for them I sold both Brownings but no money would get the CZ off me. Lil"Gun with Small Pistol primers was the Shizel in 22h, 17 H and 221 FB.

Browning 22H at 200 yards. It would do this consistently, the CZ shoots tighter, especially at 2 and 300 yards.(Target squares are 1/2" on a side)

17FB, none of the 17H I had would ever shoot this well, and at 3 and 400 yards the difference was even more noticeable.

Old 02-15-2024, 06:57 PM

I've been running a 527 American in .22H for years. cloverleaf shooter with 35vmax and 45gr Hornady over lil'gun.

My favorite gopher-getter. Will never sell it.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:30 PM

Default Cz527

I had one in 17Hornet. Did not like it at all. Third world product with a N American price.

Good points about it:
Beautiful to look at
Held its price really well after 4-5 years, easy to sell.
Nice trigger, after you get it set up
Shot .25” groups but ONLY at .010 off the lands, with CFE black, 20gr Vmax

Things I didn’t like:
The only place it shot well was as above and then you had to single shot it, and it was really tough to get a round in there, had to hold the rifle vertical and drop the round very carefully. Everything that would fit in the mag was 1.5”-2” incl factory.
All the stamped parts had not been finished, had sharp edges, it would gouge the brass feeding out of the mag.
Bolt was super rough, had to cycle it just right or it would stick
Had a set trigger, but pretty much useless, cuz it had a bout half inch after-travel that I couldn’t get adjusted out.

Got a 17Rem in a REM 700 BDL. Now that’s a completely different story, super happy with it. Saw a post once that it’s the only round that holds more powder by weight than the projectile weight that it fires (only the 20gr rounds). I only shoot 25gr in it, at 4K plus.

My experience seems to be the exception, I’ve seen all kinds of people that love the cz527. Mine must have been the last gun built on a Friday

My guess is if you find one for sale, it might be a Friday gun like mine, that someone’s not happy with. I see 22H on sale quite regularly on GunPost, and they have between 7-10k guns listed there at any time.
Old 02-16-2024, 05:35 PM

I had CZ 527 .22 Hornet for awhile, but while it was accurate enough, it was just a little roughly finished. I’ve always liked the older Brno’s but not totally sold on the CZ.
Old 02-16-2024, 06:56 PM

There's actually an older Brno 465 22 K hornet (the original with much better finish) on gunpost right now.
Old 02-17-2024, 01:50 PM

I really appreciate the input guys, thanks so much. I think I'll keep the search-up for a 527. I like Anschutz as well, but for the amount I'd use it the CZ seems like a better fit. Not all my decisions are based on rationale either, but the 527 always felt like a little more gun than the price tag reflects, and the action is barely larger than a rimfire one. Lots to like.

Thanks again!
Old 02-17-2024, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
I really appreciate the input guys, thanks so much. I think I'll keep the search-up for a 527. I like Anschutz as well, but for the amount I'd use it the CZ seems like a better fit. Not all my decisions are based on rationale either, but the 527 always felt like a little more gun than the price tag reflects, and the action is barely larger than a rimfire one. Lots to like.

Thanks again!
There is a second one on Gunpost.
Old 02-19-2024, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
I had CZ 527 .22 Hornet for awhile, but while it was accurate enough, it was just a little roughly finished. I’ve always liked the older Brno’s but not totally sold on the CZ.
Since CZ was taken over by Berretta the quality has been lacking. And the new crap they are putting out, is well, just UGLY!
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-19-2024, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Since CZ was taken over by Berretta the quality has been lacking. And the new crap they are putting out, is well, just UGLY!
I have to say I agree. I was looking at my old LH 452s in 22 Rf and 17 HMR from the 90s and my 527 from early 2000s. Both have great high gloss bluing, good fit and finish etc. I looked at some of the last produced 452s, they have gone to matt finish ,and the 455 and 457s are not finished any better. On top of that the lines/aesthetics of the new guns are not very good. If I was looking for a CZ I would be looking for one of the older ones with the great finish work.
Old 02-19-2024, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I have to say I agree. I was looking at my old LH 452s in 22 Rf and 17 HMR from the 90s and my 527 from early 2000s. Both have great high gloss bluing, good fit and finish etc. I looked at some of the last produced 452s, they have gone to matt finish ,and the 455 and 457s are not finished any better. On top of that the lines/aesthetics of the new guns are not very good. If I was looking for a CZ I would be looking for one of the older ones with the great finish work.
I'm not sure when the change occurred, but my very first Brno that I purchased new from Frenchy's (?) in the 80's, seemed to me to have nice fit and finish (from what I remember at least), and the newer ones seem a bit more utilitarian. The only Brno/CZ I have left is an older 611 .22 mag that is finished nicely, has perfect lines, and has the accuracy that they are noted for, but I'm not sure of it's age.