Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-09-2017, 04:33 PM

Default Thoughts on dry-firing

The decision seems to be split on whether its ok or not. When I was a kid I had several buddies tell me not to dry fire their guns so I always thought it was damaging. Then I'm watching an episode of Meat Eater and he's getting training with a US Marine sniper instructor who says, "Dryfire, dryfire, dryfire, as much as you want in the beginning, when getting used to your new rifle, in order to get used to the resistance of your trigger"

Researching online and talking to buddies has pretty much rendered the same result....50% say its fine 50% say its a big no no.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-09-2017, 04:35 PM

I've dry fired a ton out of my rifle without much issue. Maybe it's only an older rifle that has the issues and rimfire? If you are worried you could always make dummy rounds with silicone primers. But dry firing IMO is an amazing training too
Old 11-09-2017, 04:42 PM
Banned

We routinely trained by dry firing everything in the Military with no issues whatsoever. If it caused any problems I'm positive that the Weapons Techs would have advised that we not do it and we'd be ordered to stop. I think that it may have been something to be concerned with at one time but it isn't an issue with modern weapons.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:43 PM

I think it is a way for someone to sell dummy rounds with silicone primers without feeling guilty and retailer to say 'oh you just dry fired it, SOLD!!!'

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-09-2017, 04:49 PM

I dry fire my centre fires a lot. .22 is cheap enough to shoot that I don't bother dry firing, just range time. Have heard it will damage a rim fire though.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-09-2017, 05:15 PM

I do as the manufacturer says. If they say don't dry fire it, I don't.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:23 PM
Gone Hunting

Years ago I've dry fired 30-30 Winchester Lever Action and heard clink...clink...clank.
There was tip of the firing pin on the floor.

I did not dry fired this gun again after I've got new pin.

I am dry firing bolt actions no problem.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 11-09-2017, 05:45 PM

My thoughts on dry firing is yes, a vasectom.......................................... ....................ohhh that kinda dry firing, yeah its a personal choice
Old 11-09-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
My thoughts on dry firing is yes, a vasectom.......................................... ....................ohhh that kinda dry firing, yeah its a personal choice

Often referred to as "turning oneself into a leaf blower"
Old 11-09-2017, 07:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Often referred to as "turning oneself into a leaf blower"
Not a Toronto hockey fan myself
Old 11-09-2017, 08:11 PM

I'm thinking there has to be an experienced gunsmith on this site that can give a definitive answer with details as to why. I know I would like to hear it so I understand for future.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:20 PM
Banned

I didn’t read any replies so it may have been said but I think this is a no no for older guns, the kind that old guys who wear booger napkins as clothing use.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:41 PM

Default dry fire

I agree with Pikergolf that center fire rifles it is ok to dry fire but not 22 as firing pin can slam against the barrel and chip or break the pin..
Old 11-09-2017, 09:24 PM

I had custom made firing pins for my side by side 12 ga.
They were made of Monel SS steel. 60+ % nickel.
Main reason for not to dry fire was because of weaking the hammer
springs and wear on the sears not the the pins.
But I corrected the issue of a weak soft firing pin.
This gun was made like back in 1901 or so.
AristoCrate 12 ga. 28" left mod. right full.
2 3/8s chambered. Settle into your shoulder and feather up to you cheek
just as sweet as apple pie.

Yup, never felt a gun as light as this one.
For a side by side man it was a really nice gun.

Last edited by Bonescreek; 11-09-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:33 PM

Yep, my understanding is that you can dry fire a centerfire, but not a rimfire.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:44 PM

You can dry fire a 10-22 with no damage to it.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:50 PM

Many rimfire can be dry fired. Check manual or with manufacturer for the last word on dry firing.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:52 PM

On the other hand ..
Dry fire away.
What do you have to loose.
Sounds like fun, jolly good fun.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
t I think this is a no no for older guns, the kind that old guys who wear booger napkins as clothing use.

You're not hold until you're wearing the napkins at the other end.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:33 AM

I have had a few dry fires lately-Casualty of aging I guess
Old 11-10-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Huntnfish View Post
The decision seems to be split on whether its ok or not. When I was a kid I had several buddies tell me not to dry fire their guns so I always thought it was damaging. Then I'm watching an episode of Meat Eater and he's getting training with a US Marine sniper instructor who says, "Dryfire, dryfire, dryfire, as much as you want in the beginning, when getting used to your new rifle, in order to get used to the resistance of your trigger"

Researching online and talking to buddies has pretty much rendered the same result....50% say its fine 50% say its a big no no.

Any thoughts?
I have in the past with center fire guns no problems but never never with 22 cal. That's just me
Old 11-10-2017, 09:16 AM

I never do. Snap caps for everything unless I can de-cock the hammer. (easy on bolt guns) Why? I hate replacing firing pins. Granted, I haven't HAD to, but I chalk that up to never dry firing.

I recently had to replace the firing pins on a 1979 (inherited) 20ga. Browning Citori. Turns out replacement pins from Browning have to be "made to fit". Basically, a hand drill, files, a Dremel, paper and Scotchbrite pads...and one heck of allot of patience/test-fitting. I bought 20ga (red aluminum) snap caps for that gun before I took possession of it, but it's previous owner either wore them out..or dry fired it allot maybe..? Regardless, dry firing is easy to avoid, so I avoid it.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
I didn’t read any replies so it may have been said but I think this is a no no for older guns, the kind that old guys who wear booger napkins as clothing use.
Just curious, but how old would be too old?

I do a ton of dry firing with my centerfires, I've never had a problem and I feel it can be superior to range time in building up familiarity with a firearm.

Oldest rifles I've dry fired regularly are a Remington 760 from the 50's and a Lee Enfield from the 30's neither rifle has suffered so far. Just wondering what the exact cut off date would be.

Last night I caught a wolf crossing a cutline, he was moving pretty quick and only paused for a moment. He was in the open for less than 5 seconds and my shot opportunity was only a fraction of that. I snapped my rifle up and dropped him on the spot, that's the kind of thing I feel that dry firing is good for. When a shot opportunity is measured in heartbeats everything needs to happen subconsciously, if you need to think about anything its too late.

Last edited by Bushleague; 11-10-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:05 AM

Centerfires yes. Rimfires no because the firing pin is striking off to the side it can strike the breechface and cause peening on your breechface or pin.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 11-10-2017, 11:06 AM

Older style rifles with open hammers are a no go because the pins will hit the receiver on the shoulder of the pin instead of the primer.

Flintlocks no problem if the flint contacts the frizzen.

Some 22 LR manufactures say no problem and others are a no go because without the case the firing pin actually hits the side of the chamber as was already explained.
Coil spring firearms don't seem to have a big issue with dry firing and the ones that i have seen that broke firing pins all did it when firing a cartridge, dunno if they were already fractured or not.
Cat
Old 11-10-2017, 11:32 AM

It was drilled into me in the 60's "Don't Dry Fire" , and I listened. So far I have never had any problems with a failure.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:53 AM

I was taught to always dry fire a rifle as a function test after reassembly. Some rifles are supposed to be dry-fired before taking them apart. I agree with the idea that it is a idea to sell more snap caps.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:55 AM

Default dry fire

No especially RF and shotguns.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:59 PM

Default Yup

Like Cat said, but ad SIngle Action revolvers with pins mounted to the hammers to that list of no dry fires, you'll be replacing pins if you do. I believe snap caps are good, but the soft material where the firing pin strikes wears quickly, and once it does you may as well not use them. Note that Earlier Rem 597's are not meant to be dry fired.They strike at the 12 o'clock and will peen the mouth of the chamber and it will not chamber, and a reamer may be needed.
I dry fire all center fire rifles. If you do by chance break a pin, everything is fixable.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:35 PM

Depends on the gun. My competition pistols have been dry fired thousands of times with no issue. Rifles a lot less. Shotguns and rimfire not without dummy rounds.