Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-15-2018, 07:49 PM

Default Carrying licenses on your person

Hello all, I know in the regulations it says that you must carry your licenses and applicable tags on your person while hunting, however I was wondering if you must posses the paper copy of your license or if you could have a PDF copy of it on your phone? Has anyone done this and been checked?
Old 11-15-2018, 07:51 PM

Best to have the printed copy on your person...some don’t realize it’s a two part license, license and tag. If your battery dies or your phone screws up you are SOL.

LC
Old 11-15-2018, 07:52 PM

I was checked by f&w while fishing and I showed them my fishing license on my iPhone and it wasn't a problem at all.

So I'm guessing you would be ok for hunting as well
Old 11-15-2018, 07:55 PM

Good point about your phone going dead.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:57 PM

Ya I guess if my phone died I woulda been screwed , good point !

And you'd still need your physical tag

Disregard my previous comment lol
Old 11-15-2018, 08:09 PM

Just to be clear, I heard this second hand (may even have been third) so take it for what it's worth - I heard from an individual who supposedly spoke with F&W that the copy on your phone only is frowned upon but not technically illegal at this point as you would theoretically be able to carry a blank tag, shoot something, and then purchase the license after the fact on your phone and store a copy of the license there. Not sure how legit this is or if it would work but is does make sense as a concern. I tend to not rely on anything electronic as my only means in the bush anyway so I have never even bothered to save a license to my phone and just carry the print outs. Covered either way that way.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:12 PM

That does make sense and is a current flaw in the system in my opinion, as handy as it is to be able to purchase the license on your phone you could very easily purchase it post shot in no time at all. Thanks for the reply’s!
Old 11-15-2018, 08:17 PM

It's legal here in Saskatchewan to have an electronic of your hunting license on your phone as long as you maintain enough power on your device to show it if required.

NOT legal for fishing licenses as they must be signed though...
Old 11-15-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffee View Post
It's legal here in Saskatchewan to have an electronic of your hunting license on your phone as long as you maintain enough power on your device to show it if required.

I don't get the requirement for signing fishing licenses. What for? If there is a good reason to sign a fishing license there must be a good reason to sign hunting licenses, right?

It's the same in AB...…..must sign fishing licenses
Old 11-15-2018, 08:35 PM

I can say from experience that having the paper copy in my back pack in my truck about 75m from where I was got me a ticket last year. We where having a small fire after sunset to warm up before leaving the area. Had put my pack in the truck but still had my rifle with me due to the fact there are Grizzlies in the area.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Elk View Post
Just to be clear, I heard this second hand (may even have been third) so take it for what it's worth - I heard from an individual who supposedly spoke with F&W that the copy on your phone only is frowned upon but not technically illegal at this point as you would theoretically be able to carry a blank tag, shoot something, and then purchase the license after the fact on your phone and store a copy of the license there. Not sure how legit this is or if it would work but is does make sense as a concern. I tend to not rely on anything electronic as my only means in the bush anyway so I have never even bothered to save a license to my phone and just carry the print outs. Covered either way that way.
So if you were stopped and asked to produce your license before you shot something and purchased one, would you not be hunting without a license? You do need a license and tag to hunt.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnme View Post
So if you were stopped and asked to produce your license before you shot something and purchased one, would you not be hunting without a license? You do need a license and tag to hunt.
Absolutely, if that is the only tag/license you were planning on getting. The issue is with additional tags. Say you have your WT license/tag on you. You could see an elk in a general elk area and then purchase that license after the fact. I think that's the concern they were worried about. As long as you have one valid license/tag on you, you wouldn't be doing anything wrong if checked but could purchase additional licenses as needed.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:16 PM

What if you're ONLY hunting coyote?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweb View Post
I was checked by f&w while fishing and I showed them my fishing license on my iPhone and it wasn't a problem at all.

So I'm guessing you would be ok for hunting as well
I had the opposite experience. I had a copy on my phone and one in my waders, but the one in my waders must have fallen out. I showed the officer the signed scan on my phone, but received a verbal warning for not carrying a license.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 11-16-2018, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
i had the opposite experience. I had a copy on my phone and one in my waders, but the one in my waders must have fallen out. I showed the officer the signed scan on my phone, but received a verbal warning for not carrying a license.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:04 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy95 View Post
Hello all, I know in the regulations it says that you must carry your licenses and applicable tags on your person while hunting, however I was wondering if you must posses the paper copy of your license or if you could have a PDF copy of it on your phone? Has anyone done this and been checked?
If your phone battery dies

Carry the paper copy and there will be no issues....preventative procedures that you control will lead to a quick check and on your way....start farting around and you may loose a lot of time and maybe money too not hunting....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-16-2018, 06:04 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywroe View Post

Read the regs......

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-16-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Elk View Post
This exact this thing is covered very well in BC when you purchase your tag its not active for 48hrs to eliminate the "shoot then buy a tag guys".
Old 11-16-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffee View Post

It’s very easy to sign things on your mobile device though, do it for work papers and deliveries all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2018, 09:08 AM

When I but mine online I print several copies and plasticoat them. They get stashed all over the place. Fishing licenses are in the tackle box, truck and rv.
Hunting licenses are in my backpack with my tags, copies are in the truck and rv as well.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:14 AM

i always have a paper copy with me don't want to waste my time or F&W time
Old 11-16-2018, 09:20 AM

Default oh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Read the regs......
I have read the regs which is why I asked the simple question. If YOU know then why not help a fellow hunter out with a honest question he has.

I have re-read the regs as per your recommendation and still can not find the answer to my question...
Please enlighten me with your supreme knowledge and understanding of my question...

This is exactly the reason I and other just read and don't post much. Someone asks a simple question and some of you jump down the guy's throat. IF you don't know the answer to a question then scroll on buy. Some of you "fellow hunters" on the forum are a bunch of *****! Holy than thou kinda mentality.

Have a great day
Jay

Last edited by jaywroe; 11-16-2018 at 09:23 AM. Reason: addition
Old 11-16-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I have read the regs which is why I asked the simple question. If YOU know then why not help a fellow hunter out with a honest question he has.

I have re-read the regs as per your recommendation and still can not find the answer to my question...
Please enlighten me with your supreme knowledge and understanding of my question...

This is exactly the reason I and other just read and don't post much. Someone asks a simple question and some of you jump down the guy's throat. IF you don't know the answer to a question then scroll on buy. Some of you "fellow hunters" on the forum are a bunch of *****! Holy than thou kinda mentality.

Have a great day
Jay
Hi Jay, as you can tell 58thecat skipped the pleasntries but the advise he gave you is gold. Do not trust anyone’s interpretation of the rules on here. If you have read the regulations and don’t understand them then read them again until you do. I know a good number of very experienced hunters, outfitters and guides who are friends that I would not count on for their interpretation of the regulations. Not to mention someone who’s qualification is to have an AO account and the ambition to respond to you. There are a pile of guys on here that will give you different “opinions” but in court only one answer is the truth.
Happy hunting.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:56 AM

"Any person who is (a) the owner or occupant of privately owned land, or (b) authorized to keep livestock on public land, or (c) a resident authorized by a person described in (a) or a resident authorized in writing by a person described in (b) may, without a licence, hunt (but not trap) black bear or coyote on such lands, at all times of the year."

Seems pretty straight forward no licence needed
Old 11-16-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchcraft View Post
"Any person who is (a) the owner or occupant of privately owned land, or (b) authorized to keep livestock on public land, or (c) a resident authorized by a person described in (a) or a resident authorized in writing by a person described in (b) may, without a licence, hunt (but not trap) black bear or coyote on such lands, at all times of the year."

Seems pretty straight forward no licence needed
Unless you are neither a,b or c of course.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:54 AM

Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
Unless you are neither a,b or c of course.
Right!!!!!!!!!

So, again, if it's deer season and I am hunting coyotes then it's my word against the officer?

See...not so clear. Especially when you have officers asking for licenses before a kill?
Old 11-16-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:

Private land with permission, no license. Crown land must be during a big game season and hold a hunting license aka a wildlife certificate.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
Private land with permission, no license. Crown land must be during a big game season and hold a hunting license aka a wildlife certificate.
Thank you sir.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:30 AM

If some people would put more effort into following the law instead of trying to get around the law things would go much easier for them .
I have started taking pictures of mynlicsences on my phone but ALWAYS carry them with me .
If for some strange reason I lose them or forget tram the hunt stops NOW and I take care of things.
Cat
Old 11-16-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Right!!!!!!!!!

So, again, if it's deer season and I am hunting coyotes then it's my word against the officer?

See...not so clear. Especially when you have officers asking for licenses before a kill?
Very clear as long as you are clear. The officer has no word, you are the only one who knows your intent.

Private land scenario.

Officer- Hunting today?

You- Just coyotes.

End of story, don’t let Columbo badger you.