Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2018, 09:49 PM

Default why are we paying US funds for Cdn events?

We went to an Oilers game a year ago and when ordering the tickets off of the Oilers website the ticket price was higher than advertised and in US $. We did the same thing for a football game in Calgary using the Stamps website and ended up paying an inflated price on Ticketmaster. We ordered event tickets for an event at the River Cree Resort and once again ended up paying a higher price and in US$. Question...How do you order tickets for an event in Canada at the advertised price in Cdn $ ?
Old 10-12-2018, 06:38 AM

i believe you can sell a product for whatever you want , if the buyer doesnt like the terms he can renegotiate or walk away . us currency is legal tender in canada .
Old 10-12-2018, 07:27 AM

I've bought hundreds of tuckets from ticketmaster....never seen anything in US funds...did you order off the US site maybe?

Also US currency is NOT legal tender in canada. Only canadian bills and coins made since 1935.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:17 AM

Ticketmaster was in Cdn funds. So basically, the price listed on the event websites is not relevant. We are subject to only purchase event tickets at scalper's prices.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:39 AM

Watch out for hotels pulling the same scam I rented a room through the hotels website when I looked at my emailed receipt it was in US funds. I was able to cancel without a penalty but they were really trying hard to keep my cash. Paying in US funds with a credit card is expensive top exchange rate + 3% or so card fee beware!
Old 10-12-2018, 08:48 AM

Hotels are the worst for this.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Watch out for hotels pulling the same scam I rented a room through the hotels website when I looked at my emailed receipt it was in US funds. I was able to cancel without a penalty but they were really trying hard to keep my cash. Paying in US funds with a credit card is expensive top exchange rate + 3% or so card fee beware!
My wife got caught by that be too
Old 10-12-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Good info to know moose, I have not noticed it yet whenever we have been travelling, but I'll be sure to keep a closer eye on things..Thanks for the heads up..
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 10-12-2018, 09:58 PM

Also US currency is NOT legal tender in canada. Only canadian bills and coins made since 1935.[/QUOTE]

oops , i stand corrected . i was once told that cad and us coins were the same size and the denominations were the same (penny , nickle , dollar , etc) so that the money could be used on both sides of the border and were both recognized as legal tender in both countries . this was a long time ago , well before the internet and i had no reason to doubt it .

its a good day when you learn something new !
Old 10-13-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson3954 View Post
My wife got caught by that be too
We were in the U.S. last month and the exchange rate with Visa was 34%
Old 10-13-2018, 02:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
X2
Old 10-13-2018, 02:32 PM

Just wondering if you have an internet relocation program making your location appear from the US.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hardin View Post
We went to an Oilers game a year ago and when ordering the tickets off of the Oilers website the ticket price was higher than advertised and in US $. We did the same thing for a football game in Calgary using the Stamps website and ended up paying an inflated price on Ticketmaster. We ordered event tickets for an event at the River Cree Resort and once again ended up paying a higher price and in US$. Question...How do you order tickets for an event in Canada at the advertised price in Cdn $ ?
Welcome to the Canadian door mat society!
That's the way we like it, pay the highest cell bills, sell our crude for peanuts, this, what you speak of, is nothing by comparison, just a little spilled milk!
Old 10-14-2018, 09:51 AM

I haven't experienced it with hotels "yet". I always book them through Expedia.ca and it is always in Cdn $ at the advertised price.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:25 AM

Stop attending these events and maybe the prices will go down. Just like everything else, buy at the lowest price only, or don't buy at all.

I used to be a esk's season ticket holder, had my tickets for over 10 years and upgraded every year. I was on the 35 yard line 10 rows under the overhang. At one game a fellow was sitting in the seats next to us and found out that he got his tickets that day at the game office outside the stadium. And get this, he paid $10/seat less than I paid for my season tickets ! I never renewed my season tickets after that season and never attended a game either . Been over 20 years now ! That's how well these teams treat devoted season ticket holders!

Same with the hockey teams.

And they screw you over for a beer and a hot dog !

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Yup, me too.
On the phone with a booking company and confirmed everything right up to the point where they confirm the prices all in and then the kicker is US funds.
I say stop right there!
Lets just go and cancel this booking right now, cause nowhere on the website does this say this is in American dollars.
Get connected to another customer service rep and another 20 minutes to get the refund going...
It is a racket I tells you.
Ticket Master is a forum of legal scalpers....
Rob