Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2018, 12:24 AM
Banned

Default Raymond football players accident.

Yet another shot to the gut as I read about the Raymond comets having 5 players involved in a crash today.

Seems one is really bad off. This will be very hard on that little town.

I have been fortunate to coach high school football here in Calgary for the past 3 years now. This year I get the pleasure of having my Son play with me and for me. Just on Wednesday I saw him pull into the parking lot at school and him and 4 of his teammates poured out of his jeep. They were all laughing, smiling joking and rushing to get to the field. A scene that has played out a thousand times before. It made me smile and remember those days in fact it was the exact same parking lot as I now coach at the school I attended when I was his age. Back then NOTHING could hurt us. We could do no wrong and the world was just opening up for us. I walked on to that field grateful to have seen that.

When I read about the guys in Raymond all I could think of was that memories from early on in the week. A flood of emotion and worry for those parents, coaches and team mates.

I know as I go to bed tonight they all will be in my thoughts. Say a prayer if you can for everyone tonight guys.

Jamie
Old 10-13-2018, 08:48 AM

Wishing the best outcome for all involved at the accident scene. Always more of a gut wrencher when kids are involved.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:47 AM

Man that sucks and I hope they all recover 100%. Our lads play their last game today at 1pm.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitw View Post
Man that sucks and I hope they all recover 100%. Our lads play their last game today at 1pm.
Last game? We still have 2 regular season games and up to 3 playoff games. I don't mind bragging up my boys a bit by saying we are 5-0. My defence has given up on average 7 points per game. Our offence is slightly below average but the "D" is killing it.

We are trying to come up with some sort of fundraiser for these familys for our next game on Thursday. Anyone have any suggestions?

Anyone from Raymond or area on here?
Old 10-13-2018, 01:06 PM

All 5 of the boys go to school in Magrath but play for Raymond as Magrath doesn’t have a high school football team. I know the family’s of all these young men and the support they are receiving is amazing to say the least. All 3 boys that were air lifted to Calgary are responding to the great care they are receiving and are expected to recover, they all have multiple injury’s both internal and external but are all conscious and responding now..
it was almost 7 years to the date that Magrath lost 4 young men and ladys in a car crash, one of the boys from this crash is a cousin of one boy that lost his life 7 years ago.
Thoughts and prayers go out to these boys and there family’s..

Jim...
Old 10-13-2018, 02:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter1234 View Post
All 5 of the boys go to school in Magrath but play for Raymond as Magrath doesn’t have a high school football team. I know the family’s of all these young men and the support they are receiving is amazing to say the least. All 3 boys that were air lifted to Calgary are responding to the great care they are receiving and are expected to recover, they all have multiple injury’s both internal and external but are all conscious and responding now..
it was almost 7 years to the date that Magrath lost 4 young men and ladys in a car crash, one of the boys from this crash is a cousin of one boy that lost his life 7 years ago.
Thoughts and prayers go out to these boys and there family’s..

Jim...
Jim I had read that one of the boys was in a bunch of trouble has he been upgraded now?
Old 10-13-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Jim I had read that one of the boys was in a bunch of trouble has he been upgraded now?
Yes that is true. Of the 3 boys that are in Calgary, one was up and had a shower today, the boy with a broken neck and legs is in good spirits and has feeling in his toes and the 3rd boy that was probbily in the worst shape came out of his comma last night and gave his mom a thumbs up when she asked him a question. All 3 are a long ways from being home free but things are looking up for sure from what I’m being told.

Thanks for you concerns Jamie..

Jim..
Old 10-13-2018, 04:46 PM

Thanks for update Jim. I played for the Cardston Cougars football team way back when, and three of our guys were from Magrath (played for us rather than Comets)...Raymond was our big rival. Always cuts close to home, when your own kids are that age, involved with sports. I remember being Immortal back then too....hope they all make full recovery. TC

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-13-2018, 05:59 PM
Banned

Jim.. Great to hear!!!
Any updates please post. The guys on the team are all wondering and concerned. I love that they want to help. I hope we can come up with a good idea to raise a few bucks for these kids.

I was thinking about selling ribbons for a donation... Not just at our game but at every game that night. There should be at least 4.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:03 PM

Here’s hoping for the very best in this tragedy !
My heart goes out to the boys and their families .
Cat
Old 10-13-2018, 08:18 PM

Glad to hear the boys are on the mend, thoughts are with them & their families!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King