Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-06-2018, 12:36 PM
Banned

Default Speed limits...interesting

I remember four years ago when B.C. raised the speed limits to 120km/h on some of their highways how forum members said Alberta should do the same because it was obvious the extra speed didn't increase fatalities.
Well...turns out that's not the case https://ca.yahoo.com/news/speed-limi...170657320.html
Fatalities on those highways has double in the last four years.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:03 PM

Cool

I would guess that raising the speed limit to 120 KMH lead some to think that the new theoretical, enforceable limit would be 139 KMH (IE... "the cops wont touch me till I am +20 KMH"...).

So, probably, another instance of the minority of driver wrecking it for the majority of drivers...
Old 11-06-2018, 01:12 PM

Who would of thought that higher speeds would of resulted in a higher likelihood of death in an accident?
Old 11-06-2018, 01:22 PM

Default Speed limits....interesting

That is a poorly written and confusing article.

Last edited by Trochu; 11-06-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:37 PM

So the speed limit is 120 km/hr. An individual should drive only as fast the road conditions will allow them in their vehicle. And another thing if you don't feel safe driving at 120 km/hr, drive a little slower and get to your destination in one piece.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:38 PM

I saw on a news report that there are discussions to make speed limits lower at night in Alberta. It used to be that the speed limit was 10 miles an hour less at night. The road signs would say 60 day 50 night. That was when it was still in miles per hour.

Used to be a joke about the Ukrainians driving to Vegreville at night. They thought it was quicker because it was ten miles less at night.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-06-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I remember four years ago when B.C. raised the speed limits to 120km/h on some of their highways how forum members said Alberta should do the same because it was obvious the extra speed didn't increase fatalities.
Well...turns out that's not the case https://ca.yahoo.com/news/speed-limi...170657320.html

Blew me away that there are long stretches of highway between Comox and Nanaimo where 120 is posted. I didnt know some in BC had been upped and the last place I figured a higher limit would happen would be Van Isle.

I didnt even know wheelchairs and 1952 trucks with dangling mufflers could reach those speeds. What if someone were to leave the road at 120 and hit a refrigerator in someone's front yard? Sheesh.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Willy View Post
I would guess that raising the speed limit to 120 KMH lead some to think that the new theoretical, enforceable limit would be 139 KMH (IE... "the cops wont touch me till I am +20 KMH"...).

So, probably, another instance of the minority of driver wrecking it for the majority of drivers...
This and people not adjusting to the road conditions in bad weather
Old 11-06-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post

Blew me away that there are long stretches of highway between Comox and Nanaimo where 120 is posted. I didnt know some in BC had been upped and the last place I figured a higher limit would happen would be Van Isle.

I didnt even know wheelchairs and 1952 trucks with dangling mufflers could reach those speeds. What if someone were to leave the road at 120 and hit a refrigerator in someone's front yard? Sheesh.
That full coverage of island stereotypes...made me laugh. I have lots of family there in that area, and it fits some of them nicely...

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-06-2018, 01:51 PM

"Altogether, 570 kilometres of B.C. highway will have slower limits."

"The study, published in the journal Sustainability, looked at crash and insurance claim data from the 1,300-kilometre stretches of highway where the speed limit was raised to 120 km/h."

"The move comes after a UBC study found fatal crashes have doubled on some highways with higher speed limits"

So fatal crashes have double on some highways with higher limits or on highways with 120 km/hr limits? Why are they lowering the limit of roadways with 90 km/hr top speed if the study only looked at roadways with top speeds of 120 km/hr?

Seems like there is still going to be several hundred km of highway were the limit is 120 km/hr.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:01 PM

I would like to see the sample sizes and actual numbers. Simply put, a doubling of fatal crashes could be an increase of 1 to 2. I highly doubt that the study considered weather events increased traffic volumes or anything else of the kind when coming up with the numbers.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2018, 02:02 PM
Banned

I know when the limits were increased in BC there were a lot of people here who also wanted them increased..
The argument is that many of the highways and the cars are easily capable of handling that speed safely.
Thing is it doesn't take into account that huge variable behind the steering wheel...many of who aren't capable of driving safely at 60km/h in my opinion.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
That full coverage of island stereotypes...made me laugh. I have lots of family there in that area, and it fits some of them nicely...
Baha. I love the place but man...does BC stand for Backwards Canada? They think Alberta is redneck?

We KNOW the toothbrush was probably invented there. Anywhere else and it would be called a teethbrush.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:08 PM

There is a huge difference between a mix of cars, trucks, semis, RV's and trailers travelling at 120 on a flat prairie highway and those on curvy mountainous roads. When larger vehicles slow down to safely negotiate curves it causes traffic backup and road rage for all the BMW, Porsche, Mercedes and Audi drivers, lol.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:39 PM

I'd like to see 120 on the prairies as long as they issued speeding tickets at 125 for $1500 + points.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
There is a huge difference between a mix of cars, trucks, semis, RV's and trailers travelling at 120 on a flat prairie highway and those on curvy mountainous roads. When larger vehicles slow down to safely negotiate curves it causes traffic backup and road rage for all the BMW, Porsche, Mercedes and Audi drivers, lol.
Again, you don't understand the mechanics of speed control.
According to stats 50% of the accidents on the QEII are not due to speed...they are due to tailgating (only 10% are attributed to speeding). As I stated earlier it not the speed per se in Alberta...it's the inadequacies of the drivers.
If you are tailgating at 120km/h plus and something goes wrong, you have less reaction time to deal with what is happening...that and the higher speed means it's going to go south fast, creating more damage and injury.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:55 PM

Funny how they never have major problems like that on the Autobahn, in spite of "no speed limit".
I'll bet it has something to do with their Draconian traffic laws - something sorely needed over here.

Just a thought................
Old 11-06-2018, 02:56 PM

"B.C. is immediately lowering speed limits on 15 sections of highway in
the province, weeks after a study found deadly crashes had doubled .."

Now check the cell phone's for 'Sent messages'.
I suspect less reaction time is bigly behind a lot of this..
Old 11-06-2018, 03:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckincity View Post
Funny how they never have major problems like that on the Autobahn, in spite of "no speed limit".
I'll bet it has something to do with their Draconian traffic laws - something sorely needed over here.

Just a thought................
Nope...has more to do with the fact that a drivers license in Germany is a minimum of $2000. Your are required to 25-45 hours of professional on road instruction (which includes things like skid control) and 12 hours of theory.
What's the old joke here...you got your license in a box of Cracker Jacks?
I'm amazed that in an area that has snow on the ground for 4-5 months that we don't make skid control a mandatory requirement for you license.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Yup, gotta thank the BC Liberals for another lie....
Rob
Old 11-06-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Nope...has more to do with the fact that a drivers license in Germany is a minimum of $2000. Your are required to 25-45 hours of professional on road instruction (which includes things like skid control) and 12 hours of theory.
Those are mandatory hours, if someone learning doesn't get it, he has to take more hours before being allowed to take the exam.
I did my license in Germany, driving at night, driving the autobahn and parallel parking are also part of getting the license, I know people who didn't get their license the first time simply because they weren't able to park proper. Or when they forgot to look over their shoulders to check what's called the 'dead angle' in Germany before changing lanes.
The autobahn part is really important as you get prepared to enter the right way with the right speed and what is important to pay attention to when you drive fast. Passing on the right side is also not allowed for safety reasons.
But due to environmental concerns more and more parts of the autobahn are getting the speed limits reduced to 120km/h, the times were you could drive as fast as your car can go are more and more over.

Tickets for speeding are way higher here though, in Germany I paid around $30 for 20 over, here over $120, so the laws don't have a lot of influence in Germany. People still speed wherever they want despite high tech speed traps camouflaged as trash cans or integrated in traffic signs.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
I saw on a news report that there are discussions to make speed limits lower at night in Alberta. It used to be that the speed limit was 10 miles an hour less at night. The road signs would say 60 day 50 night. That was when it was still in miles per hour.

Used to be a joke about the Ukrainians driving to Vegreville at night. They thought it was quicker because it was ten miles less at night.

That’s awesome!! Lol
Old 11-06-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeGardner View Post

That’s awesome!! Lol
That joke was told in the legislature by the MLA representing that region. His other joke was that Vegreville got pasteurized water from the local stream, because the water ran through many pastures.

Back to the topic. I try to keep a distance behind other vehicles but others immediately use that space to squeeze in. On the QE2 the vehicles travelling at autobahn speeds in the left lane interfere with those trying to pull out and pass slower vehicles in the right lane. Some people consider that the passing lane is solely for their use as they speed with impunity. The QE2 is just begging for average speed cameras.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:21 PM

A number of years ago there was a great fuel shortage in the US. In order to save fuel all the highways speed limits were reduced to 50 mph. The one thing that happened that they were not really expecting was the huge reduction of accidents and fatalities.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:13 PM

Not really surprising I guess since reducing the speed also gives people more time to react and avoid accidents,
Old 11-06-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Willy View Post

From what I know about instruments there is always tolerance build in. Cops radars are set at +10% of the speed limit. In town or out, there is no argument in court, my speedometer vs his radar.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskra View Post
Cops radars are set at +10% of the speed limit.

???Can you explain further please?
I honestly can say I have never heard this one.....
Old 11-06-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
How do you explain the 130km/hr limit in montana. Its how they build the roads, on ramps, off ramps, and hand out tickets to dumb asses that stay in the left hand lane.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
How do you explain the 130km/hr limit in montana. Its how they build the roads, on ramps, off ramps, and hand out tickets to dumb asses that stay in the left hand lane.
I've never heard of this phenomena "dumb asses in the left hand lane". Please discuss
Old 11-06-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
It would be interesting to see how many accidents were caused by people not keeping right except to pass in BC.