Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
If you are driving 110 in the left lane you are impeding traffic as that is a PASSING LANE only. Showing a LEO your camera with you backing up traffic for a mile or more might actually get you a well deserved ticket.
Pretty Doubtful. Where or how did you determine the left lane is a passing lane?
Old 11-10-2018, 03:22 PM

Both lanes have the same speed limit you can't get ticket for doing the posted speed even if you're holding up those that are speeding. I picture a judge reaming out the cop for giving out that ticket.

Driving 101--- keep right except to pass

Old 11-10-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
If you are driving 110 in the left lane you are impeding traffic as that is a PASSING LANE only. Showing a LEO your camera with you backing up traffic for a mile or more might actually get you a well deserved ticket.

Yep. And at night it gets my brights until they move to the right. If they elect to stay in the left lane and persevere...its their retinas not mine.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Both lanes have the same speed limit you can't get ticket for doing the posted speed even if you're holding up those that are speeding. I picture a judge reaming out the cop for giving out that ticket.

In Alberta you can lawfully pass on the left or right on a divided Highway. If the left lane is occupied ,pass on the right . If both are occupied, slow down and adapt to traffic conditions. Isn't that how the Indy guy's do it ? A few seconds waiting for a condition to change isn't a big deal for most- if their head is screwed on right.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:

Pic says it all. If theres someone behind you in the "passing" lane and nobody in front of you, Move over so they can pass YOU. Dont doddle along at your speed if there are vehicles looking to go a bit faster than you choose to.

I will drive to the City of Cows locked in at between 115 and 118, road conditions allowing, and use the left lane to pass only. The only time theres a problem is the 110er passing the guy going 109.8 and it taking 5 minutes to accomplish. Hit the gas a little bit buddy. Or wait until you have 5 minutes of no traffic in the pass lane. Idiot.

Can't help but laugh at the speeding comments from some. If you're doing 109 and I wish to do 114..
Dont block the left damn lane. Get by, get over and get lost.

Even more infuriating is the driver that goes by you like you're standing still then you pass him 3 minutes later, Cruise control still on...going the same speed as you were. Then it happens over and over again.Those are the type I would like to get broadside of and steer suddenly right. Except I like my truck.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Yep. And at night it gets my brights until they move to the right. If they elect to stay in the left lane and persevere...its their retinas not mine.
You admit to speeding, using your brites illegally and road rage... awesome.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
You admit to speeding, using your brites illegally and road rage... awesome.
don't forget tailgating LOL
Old 11-10-2018, 04:45 PM

Yeah .. road rage ! I carry a handfull of old spark plugs just for that situation. lol
Old 11-10-2018, 04:47 PM

Holy crap..
So much wrong with this thread... Which shows exactly why Alberta has some of the worst drivers.

All of you need to go take a defensive driving course. Yes. That includes the speeders and the "law abiders".

It's called be courteous and respectful of other drivers. That doesn't mean jumping into the left lane to pass when there is someone already travelling faster than you about to pass you, that means waiting til it is clear and you can do so without impeding traffic. It's really quite simple. Why would anyone want to encourage tailgating or road rage. You never truly know what the other driver will do, you can't control that or their vehicle. You can only control your vehicle.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
In Alberta you can lawfully pass on the left or right on a divided Highway. If the left lane is occupied ,pass on the right . If both are occupied, slow down and adapt to traffic conditions. Isn't that how the Indy guy's do it ? A few seconds waiting for a condition to change isn't a big deal for most- if their head is screwed on right.
It is not a matter of a few seconds waiting. It is a matter when 2 drivers- one good driver in a right lane doing 110 and another moron who thinks that he is a cop here to enforce the speed limit drives on his left with the same speed and there is no way to pass either one of them! And when everybody behind him approaching the passing lane, this same moron stays in the passing lane doing the same 110km/hr and nobody can pass him again!
Who do you think you are? Are you a cop? Why are you using your vehicle as a speed bump? Move to the right and get a life!
Road rage? No road rage! I would pass a person like that and get in front of him. I would then take my foot of the gas pedal and start slowing down. I would not hit my breaks but I would slow down to 90-80 until the moron gets the picture and moves right. This isn’t a road rage, this is an education!
You, who are doing a speed limit in a passing lane, have no idea what might be happening behind you. You have no idea that the person who is doing 120-130 may be in a hurry to see a doctor or some other family emergency. After all, it is not your business to monitor the speeds. That’s what cops are for.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Careful. The entitled that think they make the highway rules and refuse to be courteous will be offended. Former hall monitors I'm thinking.
Quote:

I will drive to the City of Cows locked in at between 115 and 118, road conditions allowing, and use the left lane to pass only. The only time theres a problem is the 110er passing the guy going 109.8 and it taking 5 minutes to accomplish. Hit the gas a little bit buddy. Or wait until you have 5 minutes of no traffic in the pass lane. Idiot.

Can't help but laugh at the speeding comments from some. If you're doing 109 and I wish to do 114..
Dont block the left damn lane. Get by, get over and get lost.

Even more infuriating is the driver that goes by you like you're standing still then you pass him 3 minutes later, Cruise control still on...going the same speed as you were. Then it happens over and over again.Those are the type I would like to get broadside of and steer suddenly right. Except I like my truck.
What was that Mr Entitled? Lol

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-10-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
If you are doing 110 on a 110 highway unless a LEO is chasing someone and you hinder him or an Emergency vehicle you will never get a ticket. And that is in either lane.

I will gladly take your advice on cameras and related accessories because your threads have been interesting and informative but you can get better Information on driving in a mad magazine.

Just because you have an uninformed opinion on the subject doesnt mean you are right, sorry.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-10-2018, 05:17 PM

So and what are those signs for - Slower Traffic Keep Right?
Old 11-10-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
So and what are those signs for - Slower Traffic Keep Right?
Drivers experiencing trouble, heavy and farm machinery. It's not rocket science.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
What was that Mr Entitled? Lol

No entitlement here. I know the rules and am a very courteous driver. Until I witness stupidity to the nth.

Many miles driven. Many more than most I would suggest. Drove for a living. Zero accidents. Never left the road once and I've driven in the most hellish conditions imaginable all across Canada. Seen an awful lot of idiots in 46 years behind the wheel.

I'm courteous. Wouldn't think of blocking traffic behind me looking to pass. That's entitled.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Drivers experiencing trouble, heavy and farm machinery. It's not rocket science.

Oh man. Really?

Apparently it IS rocket science.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
And you are the guy that thinks speeding is perfectly fine? Who of the 2 of us breaking a law?
Legally the left lane is for passing slower moving vehicles in the right lane, designated 'slower traffic lane'.
Problem?
Agee ! RJ
Old 11-10-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
That's because doing the speed limit in the left hand lane is perfectly fine.
Agree ! RJ
Old 11-10-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Actually its not when your holding up traffic. You can be ticketed for this.
What Holding up people from SPEEDING ? Don't Think SO ! RJ
Old 11-10-2018, 07:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Pretty Doubtful. Where or how did you determine the left lane is a passing lane?
You can pass on both lanes but after almost 50 years of driving and observing driving behavior passing on the left is the accepted method on a four lane highway. Slower traffic keep right sign would suggest to most drivers that with the right lane being posted for slower traffic that the left lane is the recommended passing lane.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:

...Many miles driven. Many more than most I would suggest. Drove for a living. Zero accidents. Never left the road once and I've driven in the most hellish conditions imaginable all across Canada. Seen an awful lot of idiots in 46 years behind the wheel...

62 years old or so.

By your posts, I had thought 17 to 19 catagory.
No offence meant, forever young I guess.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5swedeforelk View Post
62 years old or so.

By your posts, I had thought 17 to 19 catagory.
No offence meant, forever young I guess.

It's catEgory. I had that figured out by the time I was 17 to 19.

No offence meant.

Last edited by 270person; 11-10-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
You can pass on both lanes but after almost 50 years of driving and observing driving behavior passing on the left is the accepted method on a four lane highway. Slower traffic keep right sign would suggest to most drivers that with the right lane being posted for slower traffic that the left lane is the recommended passing lane.
I take it that slower traffic refers to those vehicles going somewhat less than the speed limit .. towing trailers, big loads, and those that choose to drive less than the speed limit etc.. Those that are driving the limit in the left lane at max velocity are perfectly justified in doing so. If you need to go faster, go faster but pick your passing lane as the opportunity arises.
If I happen to be in the left lane at max speed and someone is coming up behind me, I'll not be pulling over behind a couple of big rig's or whatever travelling at less than max, for anybody. The "here i come, get outta my way"
attitude sucks.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I take it that slower traffic refers to those vehicles going somewhat less than the speed limit .. towing trailers, big loads, and those that choose to drive less than the speed limit etc.. Those that are driving the limit in the left lane at max velocity are perfectly justified in doing so. If you need to go faster, go faster but pick your passing lane as the opportunity arises.
If I happen to be in the left lane at max speed and someone is coming up behind me, I'll not be pulling over behind a couple of big rig's or whatever travelling at less than max, for anybody. The "here i come, get outta my way"
attitude sucks.

I dont think anyone is advocating that. I do the same as you. Few kms over the limit passing a train of rigs doing slightly less, I'm not going back into the right lane til I'm by. That was never what this was about.

By the same token if I'm doing whatever and about to pass a slower vehicle, see a vehicle coming hard in the pass lane, I'll wait til he's passed.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
I dont think anyone is advocating that. I do the same as you. Few kms over the limit passing a train of rigs doing slightly less, I'm not going back into the right lane til I'm by. That was never what this was about.

By the same token if I'm doing whatever and about to pass a slower vehicle, see a vehicle coming hard in the pass lane, I'll wait til he's passed.
Makes sense to me. Sounds like passing in that circumstance would be kinda dangerous

It's about clearing the way for those the want to go fast..as in faster ,or faster yet, than the posted limit isn't it? We're supposed to clear a lane for them ?.
What I was referring to was - go as fast as you want,
but pick your passing lane when you have one. I won't be making you one.
I usually drive about 115 in good hi-way conditions so i don't feel obligated.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:25 PM

Default Higher Speed Limits

Remember you can massage statistics any way you want.
Just another NDP knee jerk reaction.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
What Holding up people from SPEEDING ? Don't Think SO ! RJ
Another “robocop wanna be” are you playing too many video games? Or feeling entitled? What’s next - you gonna start giving people tickets for passing you? You might as well start enforcing the law Charles Bronson style.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Holy crap..
So much wrong with this thread... Which shows exactly why Alberta has some of the worst drivers.
I agree, says a lot when we can't even figure out the simplest of things like staying out of the hammer lane unless passing, merging on and off the Henday and only taking only one lane when turning.

Self driving cars can't come soon enough, except I really enjoy driving.

I suspect left lane hogs are likely the same people that will refuse to take the left lane if safe to do so when they see a car coming down the on ramp knowing they need that lane but will refuse to be courteous and let the merging car have it cause it's "his lane"

Think driving a car is bad try our roads on two wheels, you are literally taking your life in your hands every time out with all the ignorant and distracted drivers.

Untill they stop giving people with almost no basic driving skills a drivers licence and enforcing laws upon people that display poor driving skills it's only gonna get worse.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:49 AM

Quote:
In BC you can and it's being looked at in Alberta, and can't come soon enough.

https://edmontonsun.com/2015/03/03/b...9-fc9c9c5db733

https://edmontonsun.com/2015/03/04/a...9-2bb88bd0a1c3

Impeding the flow of traffic I believe can be used in that case.

Last edited by does it ALL outdoors; 11-11-2018 at 04:55 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:34 AM

You can’t have safe driving if traffic is not going at relatively the same speed. Where problems occur is where you have unsafe driving to weather conditions and lighting combined with having some going 90 km/hr and some doing 130 km/hr.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin