Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2018, 05:14 AM

The bigger problem on any fast hiway is slow motion mofos hogging the left lane instead of getting out of the way. Controlling traffic is a job for the police not some busy body and his/her insignificant existence.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:56 AM

I used to be a Driver, not anymore, I retired. #1 are the trucks limited to 105k? I do not think so. I have personally followed trucks at speeds well in excess of 105k, they have been American and Canadian trailers. If they get caught they are fined the speed they are travelling, plus not having a governer on their rigs, if they are caught, but a cb in the cab stops that. #2 I do not know how the laws work but in some Provinces if you have 3 lanes, trucks are not allowed in the left lane, but what happens if the left lane is closed, as you can tell, I have been retired for some time. #3 That guy or girl is out there making HIS or HER living the best he or she can! what is the answer, I do not know.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
I used to be a Driver, not anymore, I retired. #1 are the trucks limited to 105k? I do not think so. I have personally followed trucks at speeds well in excess of 105k, they have been American and Canadian trailers. If they get caught they are fined the speed they are travelling, plus not having a governer on their rigs, if they are caught, but a cb in the cab stops that. #2 I do not know how the laws work but in some Provinces if you have 3 lanes, trucks are not allowed in the left lane, but what happens if the left lane is closed, as you can tell, I have been retired for some time. #3 That guy or girl is out there making HIS or HER living the best he or she can! what is the answer, I do not know.
I believe the governor limits RPM not ground speed. I have a Kenworth T 800 and
it will keep up with faster traffic on the Hwy. The load, 1-1 or overdrive in trans. and rear axles ratio is what sets the top end as far as I know.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
what is the answer, I do not know.
I DO know what the answer is. But it'll never happen here.

Tougher licencing (for all drivers), mandatory regulated driver's training prior to licence renewal. Oh, and let's add, having to retake the driver's test prior to renewal (I don't know how this isn't required already). If you fail your test, cost doubles everytime after until passed, along with having to retake the training.

Oh, and I'm not talking about the lame driver's training that happens now, proper training, skid control, high speed manuvers, defensive driving, etc, oh and let's throw in some winter training as well.

It's clear by this thread (amongst others) how ignorant drivers are, and think they are NOT part of the problem.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
We should just shut down trucking period for 2 weeks. That'll fix em. Lol
It wouldn't take two weeks, two weekends would be enough. Freight rates would jump 20 percent, as they're reducing the operations of trucks by 20 percent.

Also banning trucks to the right lane would cause more accidents, as the bone headed 4-wheelers never look when they come down the merge ramp and pull directly into oncoming trucks. Not allowing trucks to move left and maintain speed will kill a lot of 4-wheelers.

BW
Old 11-15-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
it will keep up with faster traffic on the Hwy. The load, 1-1 or overdrive in trans. and rear axles ratio is what sets the top end as far as I know.
some of our trucks are speed governed , although with todays computerized vehicles im sure both can be done (speed/rpm)
either way , there is a transitioning to " e-log" in which time is logged electronically ( no more log books ) and every system is probably different but typically you can go over the speed limit ( say 15 mph ) for a short time ( maybe 15 seconds ) and then the e-log sends the safety dept , owner , driver , and anyone else an email that you are speeding . the only time you can escape the gps monitoring is in a tunnel or snow shed .

i agree with JB's comment , rubber stamping the renewal license adds no value . every class should have to prove that they are competent to hold that license .
Old 11-15-2018, 07:34 AM

Most truckers and commercial vehicles are tracked by GPS, 5 kph over the speed limit you get a red mark on your record some even communicate with head office for location that's why the trucks pass slowly.
I had to turn in my chip in once a month for a reading any red marks show up I had splaining to do, one guy had a reading of 145 kph turns out it was during a service the mechanic had taken it out for a test drive.

I picture somebody doing 5 kph over the speed limit passing a convoy with a long line of impatient drivers behind him.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:39 AM

Technically this rule already exists but whether they are truckers or not people don’t follow it....out right banning trucks in the left lane doesn’t make sense to me.

Right lane is driving lane and left lane is over taking lane, if you aren’t passing you should not be in the right lane....technically it’s not a “fast lane” but that’s what it has become.

In Europe they follow this rule and that how they can have nice things like the autobahns, here we get nice things like Pile ups on the QE2. If you cruise in the left lane there you will get honked at, lights flashed and tailgated and called in where you will receive a ticket for doing so.

LC
Old 11-15-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Most truckers and commercial vehicles are tracked by GPS, 5 kph over the speed limit you get a red mark on your record some even communicate with head office for location that's why the trucks pass slowly.
If this WAS the true, no truckers/commercial vehicles would speed at all, which isn't the case. A GPS tracking system is only good if it's turned into the authorities, most companies will look the other way if they are busy (or don't care), until a problem occurs.

I know two companies (50+ drivers each) that look the other way unless you get into an accident.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
I also had a governor on the first set of trucks, but they can be bypassed if you know what you are doing. But with the advent of computers, it is difficult, because the computer judges speed and not RPM.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post

Tougher licencing (for all drivers), mandatory regulated driver's training prior to licence renewal. Oh, and let's add, having to retake the driver's test prior to renewal (I don't know how this isn't required already). If you fail your test, cost doubles everytime after until passed, along with having to retake the training.

Oh, and I'm not talking about the lame driver's training that happens now, proper training, skid control, high speed manuvers, defensive driving, etc, oh and let's throw in some winter training as well.

It's clear by this thread (amongst others) how ignorant drivers are, and think they are NOT part of the problem.
This^^^ 1000%
Old 11-15-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
If this WAS the true, no truckers/commercial vehicles would speed at all, which isn't the case. A GPS tracking system is only good if it's turned into the authorities, most companies will look the other way if they are busy (or don't care), until a problem occurs.

I know two companies (50+ drivers each) that look the other way unless you get into an accident.
Completely wrong, the chip is plugged into the vehicles tune up plug under the dash it records day time and speed, there are no speed limits above 110 so ours were set to 115 they did not "look the other way" for speeding. They were turned into the safety dept. not the authorities if the chip was unplugged it shows up as a blank spot on your record. More modern trucking use real time tracking showing location anytime the boss wants to know where you are.

https://www.trackyourtruck.com/gps-t...live-tracking/

The liability of "looking the other way" would be too great for a smart company look what's happening to the outfit involved in the Humboldt crash he getting raked over the coals.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:

25 year driving record unblemished here. No accidents tickets etc. But I have to retake the test?! No thanks that’s ridiculous. Maybe for people with X number of tickets/ driving infractions your post makes sense.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger1 View Post
The coq is a six lane highway at that point.
This is a key point.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Completely wrong, the chip is plugged into the vehicles tune up plug under the dash it records day time and speed, there are no speed limits above 110 so ours were set to 115 they did not "look the other way" for speeding. They were turned into the safety dept. not the authorities if the chip was unplugged it shows up as a blank spot on your record. More modern trucking use real time tracking showing location anytime the boss wants to know where you are.

The liability of "looking the other way" would be too great for a smart company look what's happening to the outfit involved in the Humboldt crash he getting raked over the coals.
Nope, not wrong.
Current systems are only as reliable/trustworthy as the company (or person/safety dept) running them. The company you work for sounds like they are using the GPS as it is supposed to, I know two that don't.

FTR.. I full well understand how gps tracking works.. Look into rallysafe. Those are the systems I use.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:23 AM

The one thing that annoys they beans out of me is these trucks pulling two 53 foot trailers, trains belong on tracks simple as that, Canada hasn't got the streets and highways built for them , as well the law states they are not supposed to be on the roads and highways in adverse weather conditions, (eg icy hwys, high winds, blowing snow or during snow storms, ) and yet there they are holding up traffic being a road hazard and where is the D.O.T, sitting in a tim hortons with there backs to the highways and streets ignoring them
in my opinion those types of truck trailer combinations are a road hazard
as well the government makes up these laws and rules that drivers are to be off the road after so many hours on duty , but build no pull outs or rest areas for them to get off the highways and roads , look at the US they have rest areas at least one every fifty miles to make sure drivers can be off the road in case of adverse conditions, or are to tired to be driving ,
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 11-15-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linemanpete View Post
25 year driving record unblemished here. No accidents tickets etc. But I have to retake the test?! No thanks that’s ridiculous. Maybe for people with X number of tickets/ driving infractions your post makes sense.
That's the problem.. If you are such a great driver (I'm not saying you aren't), you shouldn't have a problem retesting. Unless you (figuratively) are hiding something. Driving is a priviledge, not a right.

Oh and just because you've been doing something for 25 years, doesn't mean you are doing it "right".
Old 11-15-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Nope, not wrong.
Current systems are only as reliable/trustworthy as the company (or person/safety dept) running them. The company you work for sounds like they are using the GPS as it is supposed to, I know two that don't.

FTR.. I full well understand how gps tracking works.. Look into rallysafe. Those are the systems I use.

Not everybody's dishonest in the event of an accident the insurance company and police review the data. criminals charges could result in looking the other way why would a company risk that?
Old 11-15-2018, 08:32 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
It wouldn't take two weeks, two weekends would be enough. Freight rates would jump 20 percent, as they're reducing the operations of trucks by 20 percent.

BW
Your math is horribly flawed.
Horribly massively flawed. Lol

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-15-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
That's the problem.. If you are such a great driver (I'm not saying you aren't), you shouldn't have a problem retesting. Unless you (figuratively) are hiding something. Driving is a priviledge, not a right.

Oh and just because you've been doing something for 25 years, doesn't mean you are doing it "right".
No problem retaking the test but it’ll turn into a subjective tax grab. Not interested in that at all.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:

After spending a lot of time in the past couple of years on the Island, the land of the nearly dead, I fully agree that after a certain age, people need to be retested on a regular basis. I would hope that if I ever end up driving with my fists clutched to the steering wheel at a 1000lb psi with my seat straight up and only 3 inches from the steering wheel hitting my brakes every 30 seconds, someone would take me off the road.

These drivers are terrified on the highway, they practice some really scary driving, pulling out in front of highway traffic, unsafe turns, switching lanes without checking and driving 20 kms or slower under the posted limits. They're a danger not only to themselves but everyone else around them.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Not everybody's dishonest in the event of an accident the insurance company and police review the data. criminals charges could result in looking the other way why would a company risk that?
It's call the almighty dollar (I'm not saying it's right).
Old 11-15-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linemanpete View Post
No problem retaking the test but it’ll turn into a subjective tax grab. Not interested in that at all.
See.. That's the problem. There's no money right now for enforcement, this (if they put the money right back into policing) could be a dual pronged approach to fixing the "bad drivers" issue.

Hit us with retesting, use the money generated to put more traffic cops on the street. BUT, require them to actually enforce ALL traffic laws, not just speeding.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
After spending a lot of time in the past couple of years on the Island, the land of the nearly dead, I fully agree that after a certain age, people need to be retested on a regular basis. I would hope that if I ever end up driving with my fists clutched to the steering wheel at a 1000lb psi with my seat straight up and only 3 inches from the steering wheel hitting my brakes every 30 seconds, someone would take me off the road.

These drivers are terrified on the highway, they practice some really scary driving, pulling out in front of highway traffic, unsafe turns, switching lanes without checking and driving 20 kms or slower under the posted limits. They're a danger not only to themselves but everyone else around them.
haha.. Yep, that's painful out there..
(but it's not much better here, and it's not just the "grey hairs").
Old 11-15-2018, 10:10 AM

The gravel haulers I see on the highways sure aint governed

With the hp these semis put out today, a governor seems like having a boat anchor tied to the back end.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:

I agree with mandatory retesting prior to licence renewal.
There is however one major issue I have no idea how we solve...and this forum is rife with it...and that is attitude.
The biggest contributing factor to driving related conflicts.
Law breakers feel it's their right to speed in the left lane, and law compliant feel it's their right to ride the left at the limit, evidently the two meeting here has illustrated the conflict well.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknorthernjk View Post
There is however one major issue I have no idea how we solve...and this forum is rife with it...and that is attitude.
Law breakers feel it's their right to speed in the left lane, and law compliant feel it's their right to ride the left at the limit, evidently the two meeting here has illustrated the conflict well.
I think that's where the overall change to a system like I mentioned would improve it. Right now, it's cheap to be able to drive. If you start hitting people in the pocket books, and use that money in the proper place (like straight to traffic enforcement), and you do a ticket blitz for like 2-3 years.
But it's that initial cost that no one wants, and that's where the retesting comes in.

Ex. you didn't signal, ticket.
you picked up your phone, ticket
you're eating while driving, ticket.
tailgating, ticket
speeding, ticket (although this is pretty much the only thing they ticket for now)
you didn't merge properly, ticket. (I can dream right? lol).
driving in the left lane for no reason, ticket.
no mudflaps, ticket.
illegal HID's/lights, ticket.

Ticket EVERY little thing. People would get the hint REAL fast. Attitudes would change.

Driving is so bad it's ridiculous. If you're ever bored, go to a school and watch the idiotic things that happen. On monday I had that previledge, I was parked in front of a vehicle, with no cars in front of me for 200m. I witnessed a brand new X3 (w/backup camera & sensors), spend 8 mins trying to backup in front of me. Keep in mind this is a straight section of road. The driver then proceeds to leave (fed up?), pull up the street 100m, pull into a driveway on the opposite side of the street. Only to backup without looking and almost hit 3 other vehicles in the opposing lane (to me), then park between two driveways. Now if you know newer communities in Calgary, there's usually about 2m of space between driveways (not enough for a car). Yep. She stopped there, jaywalked (once again forcing cars to stop for her) and she ran to pickup her kid.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:33 PM

Just a few years ago truck speed limit in Alberta was 100Km and car 110km. Then obviously trucks cannot drive in fast left lane other than when avoiding a slow merge.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknorthernjk View Post
The "keep right except to pass" signs are still fairly common on the divided highways. Those who choose to ignore it precipitate a lot of road rage for the sake of 5 to 10 kmh. Generally speaking of course. Stay right except to pass and things are a lot better in my experience.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:46 PM

i found and read the article about the coquahala (sp?) and the new rules are in three lane areas and the purpose is to allow better access for emergency vehicles when there is a wreck . makes sense .
i am amazed how many people are ready to ban trucks anywhere that it may inconvenience them . one post goes as far as saying " when i was going 15 k over the limit i got passed"???? its ok for him to break the speed limit but gets choked when he gets passed??
bottom line is we share the roads in canada . passenger vehicles , trucks , mortorcycles , farmers , wide loads , ets .... anyone that cant understand this is going to be driving mad and is a bigger hazard than anything else on the road .