Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-03-2014, 10:03 PM

Default Shockey Uncharted

Kinda thought the drama of the ibex hunt was somewhat overdramatic. Now after watching the black bear hunt tonite. Really??
Respect the guy...love watching his stuff...adventures are second to none.
But if they don't stop insulting the intelligence of us hunters I think they will lose a lot of viewers. The drama they are trying to build while bow hunting black bears....sorry, I just don't feel it.
Who's their target audience?
Old 11-03-2014, 10:10 PM

Not a fan of that Cory Knowlden guy on the show, the good thing is when he starts talking I can just switch the channel. He makes it sound like hunting is life or death and it seems like he would rather be doing something else. I am shockey fan but it gets a little rich for my liking on his new show.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:14 PM

Just thinking... Probably not so much about the audience but maybe more about the sponsor?
Old 11-03-2014, 10:18 PM

I just caught the end of that episode, it seemed like them made a big deal about not getting a shot on the bear at when it was sitting. What else did I miss? How did they insult the intelligence of hunters?
Old 11-03-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIsleGuy View Post
I just caught the end of that episode, it seemed like them made a big deal about not getting a shot on the bear at when it was sitting. What else did I miss? How did they insult the intelligence of hunters?
I just don't see the danger/drama in someone sitting 20 yards from a yawning black bear while 2 guys with rifles are standing by.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:23 PM

Uncharted seems to be geared towards a larger audience. Definetley not people from Alberta that don't have issues seeing a wide variety of animals to harvest. They seem to be after the ducks and deer crowd as anything else is out of reach to many people in the United States or the new hunter crowd, I've always liked shockey although he can be a bit much, and uncharted isn't aimed at people who live in rural northern Alberta so to speak.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:25 PM

Did you see the one in Papua New Guinea , where Shockey goes on and on about how great it is HE can hunt and kill game to provide for the locals, but then the local guides find a couscous (furry cuddly opposum is thing), chop down the tree and kill it with a machete for food, and Shockey almost loses his lunch over "how barbaric and not right" it is for them to do that ?
Old 11-03-2014, 10:32 PM

Don't get me wrong.. This isn't about bashing him.
I just get stomach pain when they don't realize that some of their audience has a little knowledge.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:32 PM

I have a couscous hunt booked for 2015.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
I just don't see the danger/drama in someone sitting 20 yards from a yawning black bear while 2 guys with rifles are standing by.
Gotcha. I seem to get more enjoyment out of an Albertan's field pics than watching shows full of advertising and repeat content on WildTV anyways.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:02 AM

I personally enjoy the show...yeah sometimes it may seem a little much but I like the tension and danger the show brings...I like how it is the only show out there where you see one of a kind hunts in places never hunted before...as much as I love shockey my favourite would have to be the blonde guy from the professionals(forget the name)...to me whenever him and jim would hunt together it was simply awesome! Don't see how he's insulting us hunters though? To me it seems like he words it that way just to create drama and tension, but maybe it's just me who likes seeing shows like that instead of shooting the big 5 out of a truck
Old 11-04-2014, 12:18 AM

I don't understand why guys that do nothing but complain about a show continue watching. If you don't like the show don't watch it. That thing in your hand is called a remote control and it can change channels on the tv. Just sayin.

Big mouth don't make a big man-John Wayne
Old 11-04-2014, 04:35 AM
Banned

Anybody can kill a great animal on a guided hunt, which is exactly what Shockeys shows are. The real hunters are the people that walk into unknown territory and walk out with the animal they intended to hunt!
Old 11-04-2014, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
Anybody can kill a great animal on a guided hunt, which is exactly what Shockeys shows are. The real hunters are the people that walk into unknown territory and walk out with the animal they intended to hunt!
I am going to think about this one for a while
Old 11-04-2014, 04:56 AM

Unreal camera work and editing. Every episode has a story line and is thought out. This is building a standard for new hunting shows. Sorry I'd take this over any bush league over the shoulder not thought out hunting show.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
I am going to think about this one for a while
A friend of my father’s was listed in third place as one of the worlds all time Big Game hunters back in the 70’s. He was a very successful multi-millionaire Highway Contractor from Hawaii and you should have seen his trophy room. Actually it was not a room it was a 14 acre facility with everything from elephants to lions, tigers, every species of bear, moose, elk, walruses, snakes etc, each one of them a full mount and a world class trophy.

Every hunt he participated was a guided hunt, which he paid the best guide in the country he was hunting to get the biggest trophy in their area and paid them lots. I am not against guided hunts, but to fly from Hawaii to Alaska on a moments notice when the animal is located then to shoot it, is far from a challenge compared to walking into the woods tracking down, locating and calling in the animal on your own. To me the later is way more challenging and personally rewarding

I forget the gentleman’s name but when he passed away he donated all of his animals to a natural museum in Hawaii, they are all on display there from what I heard. Grankers all!
Old 11-04-2014, 06:24 AM

Shockeys shows are well filmed , but the playing of scenes over and over[especially footage leading up to a kill shot ] is a little much ,alot like the excessive advertiseing. Cory Knowlton ?Nice to see some body here thinks the same as me about him , he detracts from the program .To be truthful I'd rather be watching Len and Hal ..
Old 11-04-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
.To be truthful I'd rather be watching Len and Hal ..
Len and Hal episodes were by far my favourites. I loved those guys.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
Kinda thought the drama of the ibex hunt was somewhat overdramatic. Now after watching the black bear hunt tonite. Really??
Respect the guy...love watching his stuff...adventures are second to none.
But if they don't stop insulting the intelligence of us hunters I think they will lose a lot of viewers. The drama they are trying to build while bow hunting black bears....sorry, I just don't feel it.
Who's their target audience?
As I read through the thread I go to thinking that this is why I can't/couldn't (don't know if it's still on) watch that ice road truckers show. Way over dramatized in my opinion. I was up on the ice a few times many years ago and it was a job like any other - some good days, some not as good. Yup you could fall through but not likely if you did your part right, take supplies cause of storms that may block the road. But boring doesn't boost ratings that brings in advertising money.
The sad thing is in both cases there are a bunch of people watching these shows that haven't a clue that they are being misled and think this is reality.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:19 AM

I much prefer "Unchartered" over almost all the other shows because it exudes a a spiritual connection with nature others don't have. Obviously, drama plays a role or else the show would be over in 3 minutes. Most other shows are all about the same thing: shooting the biggest one. "Unchartered" is about looking for the big one without the repeat failure and getting even attitude. It's smart and appeals to a more patient and romantic audience in the same way the episodes featured Hal and Len. Those two old boys couldn't cared less about killing, it was the experience being out there with family and friends. The shot is just a bonus...
Old 11-04-2014, 07:37 AM

I agree. Sure miss Hal and Len.
Hal was the funniest guy on tv.They were worth watching.
The new co-host? Well...I think he should just go home to his family and be done with it. Or try smiling and show that you really appreciate what your doing.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBFK View Post
Unreal camera work and editing. Every episode has a story line and is thought out. This is building a standard for new hunting shows. Sorry I'd take this over any bush league over the shoulder not thought out hunting show.
bingo.

Shockey absolutely is the guy that has set the standard. Gone are the days of the guy(s) sitting in a stand as a deer waddles by. Content needs to include a storyline and top shelf videography and editing.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Shockeys shows are well filmed , but the playing of scenes over and over[especially footage leading up to a kill shot ] is a little much ,alot like the excessive advertiseing. Cory Knowlton ?Nice to see some body here thinks the same as me about him , he detracts from the program .To be truthful I'd rather be watching Len and Hal ..
Shockey's shows are well filmed and dont get me wrong, compared to some of the other junk on wildtv the quality is second to none. I just don't like his co-host cory knowlton, He must be throwing some of his daddys money at Jim or I am sure he would have sent him packing by now.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
Shockey's shows are well filmed and dont get me wrong, compared to some of the other junk on wildtv the quality is second to none. I just don't like his co-host cory knowlton, He must be throwing some of his daddys money at Jim or I am sure he would have sent him packing by now.
I believe Jim and Corey have "parted" as friends, not sure, hearsay from another hunting forum. I believe Jim does a top notch job on both / all of his shows, the cinematography is excellent, and I enjoy watching his adventures. I just found it very hypocritical of him to "bash" the locals over killing an animal for food because 1. he is there hunting 2. He is all about the local cultures / customs and experiencing these during his adventures abroad 3. He has a TV spot on his other show pushing Crossman air rifles for killing small, cuddly, furry things ...
Old 11-04-2014, 09:28 AM
Banned

Jim is done.. only thing thats keeping him going is Eva now.. kinda sad really.
Bang on assessment of his camera work, very good. Personally I have got rid of WILDtv, tired of it, didn't take long. Only show I miss is the GUIDELIFE with Brad Fry, now that show is always refreshing and he doesn't give to &*#ks about sponsership or making money from it!!!! BRAVO!!

I'm going back to the days of purchasing dvds from specific shows..
Old 11-04-2014, 09:35 AM

I'm confused by some who thought he bashed the locals when they killed the couscous. I though he was pretty clear about being personally uncomfortable about it, but that it was how they hunted and it wasn't his place to judge their way of life.

To me, that struck a chord with regards to how things have been conducted on this forum. How many of us are ready to light the torches and sharpen the pitchforks when 'road hunting' gets mentioned? Start a crossbow thread and see where that goes.

I liked the point I thought he made, which was that hunting is a broad word with many definitions. We may not be personally comfortable with every method or technique used by every hunter we meet, but in the end we are all part of a worldwide fraternity known as hunters. So long as it is carried out in a sustainable and legal method, we should support each other.

As for the series itself, I find it a breath of fresh air from the norm in hunting television. The story lines and film/editing work keep the viewer engaged. I find with other programming, I am playing around on my phone with the show as background noise, until 'the shot'. With uncharted, I am engaged, and involved with the hunt in my mind. Sure, it can get a little over the top at times, but so can a real hunt. I can only hope others take note, and we see more of this type of show in the future.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
Jim is done.. only thing thats keeping him going is Eva now.. kinda sad really.
Bang on assessment of his camera work, very good. Personally I have got rid of WILDtv, tired of it, didn't take long. Only show I miss is the GUIDELIFE with Brad Fry, now that show is always refreshing and he doesn't give to &*#ks about sponsership or making money from it!!!! BRAVO!!

lol its not a matter of making money man. Do you have ANY concept of how expensive it is to film an entire 26 episodes (1 season)???? has nothing to do with making money and everything to do with simply breaking even. You do realize guys pay for airtime on wildtv?
Old 11-04-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
lol its not a matter of making money man. Do you have ANY concept of how expensive it is to film an entire 26 episodes (1 season)???? has nothing to do with making money and everything to do with simply breaking even. You do realize guys pay for airtime on wildtv?
There is only 13 episodes per season, so bout half the cost of what you were thinking
Old 11-04-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post

Bently Coben 's Trophy bucks of saskatchewan...nothing on wild TV touches them videos IMO.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
There is only 13 episodes per season, so bout half the cost of what you were thinking
My bad. We are doing 1 & 2 back to back....confused myself. lol

haven't had my morning baileys yet

Anyways, without disclosing numbers.....for one season of high end production value youre looking at arguably a condominium paid in cash.