Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-30-2017, 06:49 PM

Default leaving snares out unused?

Here's a question for you serious trappers out there. How long do you feel is ok too leave your snares out at a set that is not being trapped? On a Rfma that I spend some time hunting I have found 4 different locations that have snares left hanging in trees. Some sets are closed, many are laying on the ground, some are still set. I know this area well and know that 2 of these locations have not been baited or used in 4 yrs now but yet the snares are all still there. I have contacted the co in the area and he just gives the trapper a warning phone call and the trapper claims he will be using them again so it goes untouched.i can understand tying them up tight so nothing can get tangled in them if a guy was too be using them again next season but 4 years too me is abuse of the line and littering.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyt hntr View Post
Here's a question for you serious trappers out there. How long do you feel is ok too leave your snares out at a set that is not being trapped? On a Rfma that I spend some time hunting I have found 4 different locations that have snares left hanging in trees. Some sets are closed, many are laying on the ground, some are still set. I know this area well and know that 2 of these locations have not been baited or used in 4 yrs now but yet the snares are all still there. I have contacted the co in the area and he just gives the trapper a warning phone call and the trapper claims he will be using them again so it goes untouched.i can understand tying them up tight so nothing can get tangled in them if a guy was too be using them again next season but 4 years too me is abuse of the line and littering.
Welcome back D
Old 10-31-2017, 01:09 AM
Banned

Tell me where this is. If it’s within reasonable driving distance I will check it out myself. If it isn’t, I will find someone to go there. If you can’t then you’re full of it.

It’s that time of year again and the crazies have been activated to spread BS.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Tell me where this is. If it’s within reasonable driving distance I will check it out myself. If it isn’t, I will find someone to go there. If you can’t then you’re full of it.

It’s that time of year again and the crazies have been activated to spread BS.
It's on the Connor creek grazing reserve. Just a bit of a drive west of you. If you wanna see where they are pm me and I'll send you the info. I'll even take you in there too show you.

I am a trapper myself and have much respect for when it's done right but this guy needs too be shut down.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:45 AM

Default I hope that this isn't true.

Those of us with dogs that are very dear to us count on the trappers doing their jobs by the book.

I carry cutters.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
More FAKE news !
Old 10-31-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmc View Post
More FAKE news !
Not fake news at all. Who wants the pictures too post them up. Then you can put your fake news wherever you want too but I will suggest a spot
Old 10-31-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Not fake news at all. Who wants the pictures too post them up. Then you can put your fake news wherever you want too but I will suggest a spot
Post the pics up, not sure what that would prove.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:03 PM
Banned

I have the pictures. It appears to me that the individual leaves his snares out all year unset and hanging in the trees. Support wire is attached to trees where the snares were set but they are 4 feet high without any snow. There’s a few pieces of paper and of course bones at the bait site but nothing outrageous. A couple of dead coyotes that were probably mange and couldn’t be skinned indicates to me that they had to have been disposed of fairly recently.

Originally it sounded like snares were left set but that’s not the case at all. The wire/cable in the trees looks out of place but I don’t see anything dangerous or unlawful. I guess that the individual isn’t worried about his snares getting stolen.

Last edited by HunterDave; 10-31-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I have the pictures. It appears to me that the individual leaves his snares out all year unset and hanging in the trees. Support wire is attached to trees where the snares were set but they are 4 feet high without any snow. There’s a few pieces of paper and of course bones at the bait site but nothing outrageous. A couple of dead coyotes that were probably mange and couldn’t be skinned indicates to me that they had to have been disposed of fairly recently.

Originally it sounded like snares were left set but that’s not the case at all. The wire/cable in the trees looks out of place but I don’t see anything dangerous or unlawful. I guess that the individual isn’t worried about his snares getting stolen.
The photos of the dead coyotes where taken April 3 Dave. There was 7 coyotes left out that had been caught. None of these coyotes had the snares removed off of them. The bait was left unchecked for over 14 days. So what's the rules on that Dave???
If leaving empty meat wrappers, plastic peparoni bags. You shouldn't be baiting animals with garbage.

If I left that much trash at a camp site or any other crown land area and got caught I would be charged for littering why can a so called trapper get away with it?