Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-30-2017, 06:49 PM

Default leaving snares out unused?

Here's a question for you serious trappers out there. How long do you feel is ok too leave your snares out at a set that is not being trapped? On a Rfma that I spend some time hunting I have found 4 different locations that have snares left hanging in trees. Some sets are closed, many are laying on the ground, some are still set. I know this area well and know that 2 of these locations have not been baited or used in 4 yrs now but yet the snares are all still there. I have contacted the co in the area and he just gives the trapper a warning phone call and the trapper claims he will be using them again so it goes untouched.i can understand tying them up tight so nothing can get tangled in them if a guy was too be using them again next season but 4 years too me is abuse of the line and littering.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyt hntr View Post
Here's a question for you serious trappers out there. How long do you feel is ok too leave your snares out at a set that is not being trapped? On a Rfma that I spend some time hunting I have found 4 different locations that have snares left hanging in trees. Some sets are closed, many are laying on the ground, some are still set. I know this area well and know that 2 of these locations have not been baited or used in 4 yrs now but yet the snares are all still there. I have contacted the co in the area and he just gives the trapper a warning phone call and the trapper claims he will be using them again so it goes untouched.i can understand tying them up tight so nothing can get tangled in them if a guy was too be using them again next season but 4 years too me is abuse of the line and littering.
Welcome back D
Old 10-31-2017, 01:09 AM
Banned

Tell me where this is. If it’s within reasonable driving distance I will check it out myself. If it isn’t, I will find someone to go there. If you can’t then you’re full of it.

It’s that time of year again and the crazies have been activated to spread BS.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Tell me where this is. If it’s within reasonable driving distance I will check it out myself. If it isn’t, I will find someone to go there. If you can’t then you’re full of it.

It’s that time of year again and the crazies have been activated to spread BS.
It's on the Connor creek grazing reserve. Just a bit of a drive west of you. If you wanna see where they are pm me and I'll send you the info. I'll even take you in there too show you.

I am a trapper myself and have much respect for when it's done right but this guy needs too be shut down.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:45 AM

Default I hope that this isn't true.

Those of us with dogs that are very dear to us count on the trappers doing their jobs by the book.

I carry cutters.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
More FAKE news !
Old 10-31-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmc View Post
More FAKE news !
Not fake news at all. Who wants the pictures too post them up. Then you can put your fake news wherever you want too but I will suggest a spot
Old 10-31-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Not fake news at all. Who wants the pictures too post them up. Then you can put your fake news wherever you want too but I will suggest a spot
Post the pics up, not sure what that would prove.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:03 PM
Banned

I have the pictures. It appears to me that the individual leaves his snares out all year unset and hanging in the trees. Support wire is attached to trees where the snares were set but they are 4 feet high without any snow. There’s a few pieces of paper and of course bones at the bait site but nothing outrageous. A couple of dead coyotes that were probably mange and couldn’t be skinned indicates to me that they had to have been disposed of fairly recently.

Originally it sounded like snares were left set but that’s not the case at all. The wire/cable in the trees looks out of place but I don’t see anything dangerous or unlawful. I guess that the individual isn’t worried about his snares getting stolen.

Last edited by HunterDave; 10-31-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I have the pictures. It appears to me that the individual leaves his snares out all year unset and hanging in the trees. Support wire is attached to trees where the snares were set but they are 4 feet high without any snow. There’s a few pieces of paper and of course bones at the bait site but nothing outrageous. A couple of dead coyotes that were probably mange and couldn’t be skinned indicates to me that they had to have been disposed of fairly recently.

Originally it sounded like snares were left set but that’s not the case at all. The wire/cable in the trees looks out of place but I don’t see anything dangerous or unlawful. I guess that the individual isn’t worried about his snares getting stolen.
The photos of the dead coyotes where taken April 3 Dave. There was 7 coyotes left out that had been caught. None of these coyotes had the snares removed off of them. The bait was left unchecked for over 14 days. So what's the rules on that Dave???
If leaving empty meat wrappers, plastic peparoni bags. You shouldn't be baiting animals with garbage.

If I left that much trash at a camp site or any other crown land area and got caught I would be charged for littering why can a so called trapper get away with it?
Old 10-31-2017, 02:37 PM

I leave my snares out year round. Just close the loop and hang up out of the way.

I don't trap coyotes but if I did catch a mangy wolf I wouldn't dig the snare out of its frozen neck, it would stay there and get thrown in the bait pile.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:38 PM

There's no rule on length of time between snare checks, completely up to the trapper
Old 10-31-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I leave my snares out year round. Just close the loop and hang up out of the way.

I don't trap coyotes but if I did catch a mangy wolf I wouldn't dig the snare out of its frozen neck, it would stay there and get thrown in the bait pile.
Exactly what alot of trappers do. Except Hoyt.

Last edited by mrbgamehunter; 10-31-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbgamehunter View Post
Exactly what alot of trappers do. Except Hoyt.
No your right mr big game hunter. I don't leave my snares out because there is no reason too leave snares out too catch animals in the off season. Especially for 4 years. Without running a bait. Doing so is plain laziness and disrespect for the animals left too waste. if your gonna set the snare then take the time too follow up on it and clean it up when done.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
No your right mr big game hunter. I don't leave my snares out because there is no reason too leave snares out too catch animals in the off season. Especially for 4 years. Without running a bait. Doing so is plain laziness and disrespect for the animals left too waste. if your gonna set the snare then take the time too follow up on it and clean it up when done.
As Tork said. Nothing wrong with wrapping up and leaving till next year. But I see your in there tampering with a active trap line. And btw. How are you getting to these sites. They are way off the designated trail you are suppose to be on? That's why they are where they are. I guess your hiking in the few kms each way every few days to check on someone else's line. Nice work.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:10 AM
Banned

I think that I ought to post some of the pictures that I received in order to put things into perspective.

I'm sorry Hoyt, but that coyote has been cut out of the snare and it wasn't there for four years last April. The snares are not set and that bit of butcher paper and twine was likely still frozen to the ground this Spring. Not exactly total devastation and danger IMO.

I think that you may be over reacting just a bit.

Last edited by HunterDave; 11-01-2017 at 12:16 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I think that I ought to post some of the pictures that I received in order to put things into perspective.

I'm sorry Hoyt, but that coyote has been cut out of the snare and it wasn't there for four years last April. The snares are not set and that bit of butcher paper and twine was likely still frozen to the ground this Spring. Not exactly total devastation and danger IMO.

I think that you may be over reacting just a bit.

Actually Dave your wrong on this one the coyotes are not removed from any of the snares and none of them showed any signs of mange, but that's my word against all you experts that where not there. I will leave it at this and contact people higher up as it happens again.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbgamehunter View Post
As Tork said. Nothing wrong with wrapping up and leaving till next year. But I see your in there tampering with a active trap line. And btw. How are you getting to these sites. They are way off the designated trail you are suppose to be on? That's why they are where they are. I guess your hiking in the few kms each way every few days to check on someone else's line. Nice work.
I do lots of hiking and calling there. All 4 of these sights are within 600metres of a road or private land I have access too. Mr big game hunter why don't you explain why you had too remove your atv last fall that you where using off the designated routes and hiding on a old lease too go too your tree stands before you call somebody out for not walking. You of all people have no room too talk.
i would like for you post up some evidence of me tampering with a bait site. Of course you should have some if you have called me out on this right??? and as for mr Dave one last thing. You have misunderstood again, I never said those coyotes have been in the snares for 4 years... I said that there is still snares left hanging open and laying around at sites that have not been used for 4 years. Get it straight.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I do lots of hiking and calling there. All 4 of these sights are within 600metres of a road or private land I have access too. Mr big game hunter why don't you explain why you had too remove your atv last fall that you where using off the designated routes and hiding on a old lease too go too your tree stands before you call somebody out for not walking. You of all people have no room too talk.
i would like for you post up some evidence of me tampering with a bait site. Of course you should have some if you have called me out on this right??? and as for mr Dave one last thing. You have misunderstood again, I never said those coyotes have been in the snares for 4 years... I said that there is still snares left hanging open and laying around at sites that have not been used for 4 years. Get it straight.
I think you are mistaken as everything, on who you think I am.
As for tampering. Your trolling threw someone's else's trap line bait site. Doing who knows what. It's Ok Hoyt. You are painting a great picture for everyone on here how pathetic you are. Go back to calling and leave the trapping alone.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:26 PM

Default back to the question

On my trap line I'm the #2 guy.. There is a head trapper who owns the line. Legally the snares have to be checked once a day. Practically, the snares are checked once every three days. Since I wanted to follow the rules the head trapper only sets the snares when I'm headed for the line over the next few consecutive days and on my last day the snares are closed.
At the end of the season the head trapper closed his snares and left them out. In the fall these snares were often rusted and brittle and useless.Last spring I removed all the snares and recycled them. At the last local trappers workshop I was able to build several dozen cables and the head trapper purchased new ones from Sask.( dam beaver, out of Rhein.)Happy trapping.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
On my trap line I'm the #2 guy.. There is a head trapper who owns the line. Legally the snares have to be checked once a day. Practically, the snares are checked once every three days. Since I wanted to follow the rules the head trapper only sets the snares when I'm headed for the line over the next few consecutive days and on my last day the snares are closed.
At the end of the season the head trapper closed his snares and left them out. In the fall these snares were often rusted and brittle and useless.Last spring I removed all the snares and recycled them. At the last local trappers workshop I was able to build several dozen cables and the head trapper purchased new ones from Sask.( dam beaver, out of Rhein.)Happy trapping.
legally snares have to be checked once a day ? Since when?
Old 11-02-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
Since never .. I check mine every other day and never longer than 3 day check for the simple matter of bird damage . If the guy on this line is leaving snares out and unset for most of the year that is his business .. If still set well then that is certainly illegal as seasons do close . I wouldnt leave mine out for the fact of them becoming rusted and damaged as has already been stated .
Old 11-02-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
Dispatch style traps (ie.snares) do not need to be checked once a day. Where as legholds do if you are a resident trapper NOT trapping a line.

LC
Old 11-02-2017, 06:38 AM

Read the trapping regs, it's very simple

Resident trappers must check every 24 hours for leg holds
Traplines are every 48 hours for leg holds

That is the only regulation for manditory checks (any killing traps connibears,snares etc, there is no check limit, only seasons they can be used)

Any animal on the ground is subject to damage if left for to long from mice, voles etc, if they are suspended in the air, they can last for weeks unharmed and frozen (such as a Martin hanging from a running pole)

Here is the regs that state check limits, there is no excuses to not know the regs or choosing to ignore them, it just makes all trappers look bad

http://albertaregulations.ca/trappin...apping-devices

Last edited by D4l3k; 11-02-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
Your SUPPOSEDLY the # 2 guy on a trap line and you don't know the regulations pertaining to check times for snares, how do you explain that ?

Last edited by rcmc; 11-02-2017 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:59 AM

Dave I agree with you on this one to be very skeptical. Although I wouldn't have posted this guy's pics for him my opinion.
There is no way this story is credible. Please don't feed this troll it only ruins this forum.

The pics should be shown to the fish cops they would investigate. Which would be a far better use of people's time then whinning online. Mr D "yoakam" is back....
Old 11-02-2017, 12:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
Dave I agree with you on this one to be very skeptical. Although I wouldn't have posted this guy's pics for him my opinion.
There is no way this story is credible. Please don't feed this troll it only ruins this forum.

The pics should be shown to the fish cops they would investigate. Which would be a far better use of people's time then whinning online. Mr D "yoakam" is back....
The reason that I decided to post the pictures was to demonstrate that the OP's accusations were baseless. I think that the pictures show that. Accusing a fellow trapper of leaving snares set all year is pretty serious but that's not the way that it is at all. Yes, snares are out but not set and they are hanging in trees. Nothing illegal or unethical at all. I thought it better to clear the air and show what really is going on rather than leave doubt that the OP's accusations were true.

I don't think that the pictures portray this trapper in a poor light at all. On the contrary, I think that they vindicate him. Some may disagree but I think that it was the right call to post the pictures.

The Junior on the line has contacted me and the OP is a stalker in his area with an ax to grind. He has been giving him grief over petty stuff for 4 years. He has to go well off the beaten path and go out of his way to even find the bait sites and let alone complain about them.

The OP is not our little anti trapping friend. He honestly believes that he has a legitimate complaint and isn't just trolling. There's a reason that AEP won't take any action, because there's nothing to take action on except for a bit of twine and a few pieces of butcher paper if they want to really get anal about a littering charge.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
The reason that I decided to post the pictures was to demonstrate that the OP's accusations were baseless. I think that the pictures show that. Accusing a fellow trapper of leaving snares set all year is pretty serious but that's not the way that it is at all. Yes, snares are out but not set and they are hanging in trees. Nothing illegal or unethical at all. I thought it better to clear the air and show what really is going on rather than leave doubt that the OP's accusations were true.

I don't think that the pictures portray this trapper in a poor light at all. On the contrary, I think that they vindicate him. Some may disagree but I think that it was the right call to post the pictures.

The Junior on the line has contacted me and the OP is a stalker in his area with an ax to grind. He has been giving him grief over petty stuff for 4 years. He has to go well off the beaten path and go out of his way to even find the bait sites and let alone complain about them.

The OP is not our little anti trapping friend. He honestly believes that he has a legitimate complaint and isn't just trolling. There's a reason that AEP won't take any action, because there's nothing to take action on except for a bit of twine and a few pieces of butcher paper if they want to really get anal about a littering charge.
Thanks for the info Dave.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:33 AM

All the meat wrappers doesn't look that great. I'd be angry if I saw that out in the bush.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:52 PM

Default Snares left out

The senior so called trapper spends 90% of his time on this line driveing around during huntig season following people around that actually get out of their trucks to hunt claiming that hes just hunting wolves as he drives back and forth past the hunters hes more intrested in ruining peoples hunts then properly trapping his line!!