Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-19-2018, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Elk Hunter View Post
The locals out here are not very happy and a lot of the old fishermen that I have talked to are ****ed off that there was not consultation on putting a bait ban on this lake.

Heard some talk about putting pike back into the lake then those trout guys can take a hike.
This doesn't surprise me in the least. I've seen it firsthand in Ontario at a smaller lake about 20 miles out of Pembroke. The yuppies in the city were successful in turning the lake into C&R and the homeowners around the lake suddenly had their little piece of paradise invaded by city yuppies. It didn't take long for the lake to turn out to be one of the best places to catch pike. It was absolutely infested with them!

Those homeowners were consulted too but how could they defend themselves from the number of members of the association lobbying for C&R? People will look at the results of polls and say, "See, 90% of people wanted this!". What they won't tell you though is that they got as many TU members PROVINCE WIDE to participate in the poll. With the internet now it's so easy to do. They rationalize doing it by saying that these lakes are for all Albertans. Democracy my butt!

TU is going about it all wrong. Instead of bullying locals and taking over their lake, they should be developing their own quality fisheries like they did with Muir. In this area I think that Hasse Lake would have been a good one to look at for something like that. You can't just bully locals and not expect anyone to take offence it. Pike getting dumped in there wouldn't surprise me in the least.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:34 PM

So just how bad is the water quality in Thunder Lake? I understand the perch and pike populations are thought to have died off completely so I wonder if it would make a decent put and take trout lake? Or is the water quality too poor to bother with stocking?

It would be nice to see fisheries take on some projects to try and reclaim some of our dying lakes. Figure out ways to minimize nutrient loads, stock a bunch of grass carp etc to help control weeds/algae, install aerators to help fish survive tough winters.

I don't know if Thunder is a great lake for that kind of project but based on its size it could have good potential as a trout lake. A lot higher potential then a slough like Muir had and that project kept a lot of fishermen happy until they screwed up the aeration.

Anyways just a random crazy idea I had.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
This doesn't surprise me in the least. I've seen it firsthand in Ontario at a smaller lake about 20 miles out of Pembroke. The yuppies in the city were successful in turning the lake into C&R and the homeowners around the lake suddenly had their little piece of paradise invaded by city yuppies. It didn't take long for the lake to turn out to be one of the best places to catch pike. It was absolutely infested with them!

Those homeowners were consulted too but how could they defend themselves from the number of members of the association lobbying for C&R? People will look at the results of polls and say, "See, 90% of people wanted this!". What they won't tell you though is that they got as many TU members PROVINCE WIDE to participate in the poll. With the internet now it's so easy to do. They rationalize doing it by saying that these lakes are for all Albertans. Democracy my butt!

TU is going about it all wrong. Instead of bullying locals and taking over their lake, they should be developing their own quality fisheries like they did with Muir. In this area I think that Hasse Lake would have been a good one to look at for something like that. You can't just bully locals and not expect anyone to take offence it. Pike getting dumped in there wouldn't surprise me in the least.
Sounds like Barrhead redneck yada yada!
Old 04-19-2018, 10:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
That’s exactly the kind of arrogance that’ll get you into trouble.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
That’s exactly the kind of arrogance that’ll get you into trouble.
x2, no wonder the locals feel like they got steam rolled by tourists on this deal. An out of towner with a name like that and an attitude like that... pretty much sums everything up in a nutshell.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
The last couple of respondents fit the bill.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:23 AM

[QUOTE=HunterDave;3773390
TU is going about it all wrong. Instead of bullying locals and taking over their lake, they should be developing their own quality fisheries like they did with Muir. In this area I think that Hasse Lake would have been a good one to look at for something like that. You can't just bully locals and not expect anyone to take offence it. Pike getting dumped in there wouldn't surprise me in the least.[/QUOTE]

What an absolute load of hogwash.

Dolberg is crown property which means it's public property not "owned" by locals.

Any troglodytic, moron even advocating the idea of dumping pike in there should be publicly bull whipped.

Hasse is dead due to years of drought and farming activity.