Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-28-2009, 10:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuc View Post
Waxy, what make, type and weight of jigs would you recommend ?
Something alround....
Thanx!
I'm partial to two brands - BiteMe jigs, which are made by a guy in SK, and you can usually get at The Fishin Hole (supply is sometimes sketchy because he simply can't keep up), and the Fintech Knuckleball jigs. I prefer the the BiteMe's for vertical jigging, and the Knuckleball jigs for dragging because of their stand up design. Both work for casting, and IMHO, both are far better in design, hook quality, and available color patterns than the typical "bulk bin" jig heads. Unfortunately, they're also kinda pricey, around $1/piece for both types.

As for color and size, get two of each lol. If you're on a budget, stick to the 1/8 to 3/8 oz, and couple bigger/smaller ones and the red/yellow/orange/green and black, and the blue/white/pink combo for colors.

I don't use plastic tails a lot, I do most of my jigging with bait only, but when I do, I go with the 4" Berkley stuff - Powerbait or Gulp Alive shads- or the leeches. I've had pretty decent success over the years with the basic Mister Twister plastics too, white, yellow, and black, and I prefer the single tails to the doubles.

That combo of jigs and tails/bait should be effective on just about any lake for pike, walleye, and perch.

Waxy
Old 08-29-2009, 12:20 AM
sheephunter

My shameless plug is for the Reelbait Walleye Flasher...best vertical and dragging/trolling jig I've ever used. It's design makes it very snag resistant and the blade is just too irresistable when fished vertically. You need to learn to fish it much more subtley that most other jigs though...let the blade do the work. It's incredibly deadly under a slip bobber too. Shamless plug over!
Old 08-31-2009, 01:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
My shameless plug is for the Reelbait Walleye Flasher...best vertical and dragging/trolling jig I've ever used. It's design makes it very snag resistant and the blade is just too irresistable when fished vertically. You need to learn to fish it much more subtley that most other jigs though...let the blade do the work. It's incredibly deadly under a slip bobber too. Shamless plug over!
I don't think I've ever seen those, I've certainly never tried them. I'm not crazy about the "wedge" shaped head, because they tend to just that IME, get wedged into things, but the little willow blade is definitely interesting...

The only link I could find via Google was Cabelas. Where do you get them here?

Waxy
Old 08-31-2009, 01:57 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
I don't think I've ever seen those, I've certainly never tried them. I'm not crazy about the "wedge" shaped head, because they tend to just that IME, get wedged into things, but the little willow blade is definitely interesting...

The only link I could find via Google was Cabelas. Where do you get them here?

Waxy
Ah, that's the beauty of the design of the Walleye Flasher, the eye placement makes the jig tip forward and roll over things rather than wedging into places. It's very snag resistant. That plus they are perfectly neutral balanced for vertical jigging. The little blade slowly swinging beneathe the jig really works sometimes. The trick is to work it very subtley.

Fish Hole used to carry them but not sure any more. Last time I was there they had some poor rip off of it. You can order straight from Al at Reelbait too.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuc View Post
Waxy, what make, type and weight of jigs would you recommend ?
Something alround....
Thanx!
I honestly cant say any one brand of jigs has worked better than the others for the most part. I like the 3 inch ones better than the 4 inch ones cause I can get them to the bottom quicker in a current. The only jigs I have used that I didnt like were "Matzu" brand jigs, they still catch fish but have a tendancy to split open around the base of the jig heads.

For jig heads with the non painted ones you dont have to clean the paint out of the eyes befor you tie them on which is nice and I have not noticed that fish prefer the painted ones. If your fishing in weeds a pyramid style jig head with the eye at the front will snag less, for everything else el cheapo non painted round ones or whatever you find in the bargain bin at wallmart will work.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:16 PM

Thanx for the advice guys!