Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: What type of stillwater trout fishery would you prefer at your favourite lake?
C&R with the chance of catching trout up to 25" 112 42.75%
Limit of 1 under 18" with a good chance of fish over 22" 47 17.94%
Limit of 1 over 18" with a good chance of fish over 20" 38 14.50%
Limit of 3 any size with a good chance of fish over 16" 49 18.70%
Limit of 5 any size with a good chance of fish over 12" 16 6.11%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2011, 10:21 AM

Default Quality Trout Fisheries in Alberta

SRD seems to be dragging their feet creating quality stillwater trout fisheries in this province. They aerate a number of lakes trying to develop larger fish and more of them, yet still allow limits of 5 fish and the use of bait. I believe the Alberta gov't even polled a number of anglers wondering if they valued quality fisheries and if memory serves me correctly, the answer was a resounding "yes." Yet there seems to be a lot of reluctance to change any regs?

Sooooo... I thought I would post my own poll and see what mixed bag we can come up with. Please post reason for choice as well so I can try to understand the rationale behind your opinion (even if it is the wrong opinion)

Cheers.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:42 AM

I haven't voted yet...still thinking. But every lake out there can't support any of the options. Every lake is different and one has to consider the population and popular fisheries.

Seems to be a lot of fish biologists on here lately. I'm not sure of everyone's background, but I am no fish biologist. Most of the stocked trout waters are to satisfy the put and take fisherman, families looking for fun, or convenience on location or accessiblity. So changing all lakes, no. Changing a few? Maybe.

Personally I know trout ponds are put and take. So if I'm going I likely want to catch and keep a few for the table, regardless of size. Since the SRD can't manage the perch and walleye fisheries so people can eat them....then the trout lakes have to stay the way they are or poaching will be our next biggest concern (far more than it is today).

So I support taking more lakes and reducing the limit or size restrictions but not every lake can be painted with the same brush.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:43 AM

Also one more thing. Everyone fishes for different reasons. I am not a trophy hunter and not a flower girl that feels the need to protect every living thing. So I don't support C&R only lakes.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:59 AM

Nicemustang, I'm aware that not all lakes can sustain each of the above suggestions. I'm assuming here that if a lake could sustain this, which preference would you have. In an ideal world, what would you want of the choices given?

Also, choosing C&R doesn't make you a "flowergirl" it just means that you want to catch something bigger than 12" and that you value the quality of your fishing more than the quantity of fish you bring home to show your "flowergirl" how big and tough you are.

Of course, it would be nice to catch and keep 5 fish all over 25" but that's just not going to happen, and if it does, it won't be happening for very long.

Cheers.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:06 AM

I only do catch and release and wouldn't mind catching some larger fish. i think the way muir is set up is pretty good.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:12 AM

and we are off and running again
Old 02-23-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
Also one more thing. Everyone fishes for different reasons. I am not a trophy hunter and not a flower girl that feels the need to protect every living thing. So I don't support C&R only lakes.
flower girl - that's awesome! be careful you might get yourself a new handle.

QUOTE=chubbdarter
Im not sure where your from so this may not include you BUT im getting a little tired of all the know it alls that move here and say "well back home we did things different Alberta sucks". HAHAHA . GO HOME!!!!..p.s. most of those complainers just simply arent good fisherman

chubb i seen another name calling in you're future!
Old 02-23-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
flower girl - that's awesome! be careful you might get yourself a new handle.

QUOTE=chubbdarter
Im not sure where your from so this may not include you BUT im getting a little tired of all the know it alls that move here and say "well back home we did things different Alberta sucks". HAHAHA . GO HOME!!!!..p.s. most of those complainers just simply arent good fisherman

chubb i seen another name calling in you're future!
Pffffftttt

the constant we need this we need that....for example not directed at anyone
look at the walleye discussion in southern alberta.....never a well based opionion with facts...most dont know where they even spawn.....yet Alberta sucks at walleye management.....back home in province x we did it this way. just because you cant catch a fish doesnt make it the governments fault.....take a good long look at your self. Or go fishing where you can catch a fish.
southern alberta walleye fishing is superb!!!
maybe what people really are asking for is the government to genetically raise stupid fish???....and change the regs to say.....2012 catching regulations....instead of the 2011 fishing regulations
Old 03-22-2011, 03:00 AM

I might of come across as "The River Runs through it" kind of guy. Believe me I'm not. Just I can't see the harm a few more C&R lakes if that if the key to a "Quality Lake". Why should I go to B.C. (The land of many "a river runs through it" people) if Alberta lakes are capable of producing big fish?. As for the comment on the bait guys leaving garbage behind. Most of the time I see people leaving garbage it's because they are garbage. Many are the type of people that are too lazy to try and pick up their crap let alone try and learn how to fish with anything other than bait because that's easy. And I think most of guys know what I was trying to get at with that comment. I am probably wrong in my assumption that these are the people so apposed to C&R. But that's a whole different topic. And I am not saying that all lakes should be C&R. I would prefer not take my kids fishing to bait ban /C&R lake. Hunterdave, your right I am forgetting the fact that most of the lakes/sloughs in Alberta would have nothing in them if not for the efforts of SRD.When you think about it ,they have done some amazing things in this province. But what's so Wrong with putting in some effort and C&R regs. if that's what it takes to catch some 5 to 10 lb fish in Alberta? What the big deal Everybody likes to catch big fish?

Last edited by michaelmicallef; 03-22-2011 at 03:08 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:28 AM

Fish of the Year....an escaped triploid from a fish farm...boy the government is doing a great job managing the Glenmore reservoir as an excellent fishery
Old 03-22-2011, 07:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Fish of the Year....an escaped triploid from a fish farm...boy the government is doing a great job managing the Glenmore reservoir as an excellent fishery
Too funny. You are all for creating fish farms but the purist in you is against fishing for genetically enhanced fish.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Too funny. You are all for creating fish farms but the purist in you is against fishing for genetically enhanced fish.
What is this genetically enhanced fish you are commenting on Davey? You are lamenting that the triploids illegally released and soon to be gone from Glenmore Reservoir is a fishery that is to be loved...yet you have no clue. Pretty much all stocked put and take lakes in Alberta have gone or are going Triploid. Are you going to put perch in them to protest the changes? You don't like triploids now? What is your beef with them?

A fish farm Daveyboy is when you put 9 inch rainbows and some slow moving heart attack wanna be brood stock into a lake and you yard them out right after.

When you put small rainbows in a lake and fish for them till they are 20 inch or bigger...they are wise and educated and not the simpletons that you catch so happily.

Keep up the great posts... You apologizing for the perch comment yet?
Old 03-22-2011, 08:55 AM

ahhh sundance .. if you read post earlier by myself i have tryed to say my opinion on how to get what u want .. but it takes money and work.. if u stock bigger fish your growth rate is enhanced and that 10% survial is increased thus more bigger fish in the end in lake.. and if you don,t exced the lake productivity then you may have a chance but that can all change with pressure etc is it a good idea to aerate, yes , did i mention triploids yes i did.. are Tiger Trout a spawner not thought to be.. thus same as a triploid growth increased ..if you look at studys around the world on how to improve growth rates.. right under that productitiy post i ask u to read it shows how adding certain things in to your lakes add to productivity.. in the Northern Basin River study they had a experiment right at the mill showing that adding effulent(town and Mill mixed) added to the rate of plant,s plankton etc .. as part of my Water treatment job i had to moniter..

Now i tryed to say that when i was at Miskiki Lake last year for 5 days its a quality lake with a 40 cm ,no bait , cutthroat and brookie .. about 30 people came to lake and some camped fished .. of them 3 people caught legal fish so about 10 %.. of those people my opinion 10 % really where seasoned anglers.. Miskiki is a remote lake with not a lot of pressure.. we have those pit lakes in my area too they have a 50 cm size limit no bait same for them except in the first couple of years they will fish great(dumb fish sorry) u do a catch and release on a fish with 20 % mortality .. its like you going into the hospital for 1 day ,small operation u lose 10 # and takes you month's to recover .. if you add 200 anglers do you get what i mean

Last edited by Speckle55; 03-22-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Are illegally introduced perch genetically enhanced?

Illegal Stocking of Fish
Alberta regulations prohibit the transfer of live game fish or live bait fish or crayfish from one water body to another. The placing of any live fish or fish eggs into any waters of the province other than those from which they were taken is also prohibited. Report anyone you observe relocating live fish or using live fish for bait to the nearest Fish and Wildlife Division office, or call Report A Poacher toll-free, 1-800-642-3800. The fishery resource that you are protecting is your own.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/

Davey...here are some triploid facts to ease your fears...

Triploid Trout FaQ Sheet

What is a triploid trout?
When fish spawn, the female eggs possess two sets of chromosomes, and the male sperm possess one set. After the eggs are fertilized, the chromosomes recombine, and each egg inherits one set of chromosomes from the female and another set from the male – similar to humans. The third set is then kicked out of the egg. By exposing trout eggs to pressure or by placing eggs in a warm water bath shortly after fertilization, the ability to kick out that third set of chromosomes is inhibited and the third set of chromosomes is retained, creating a triploid trout.

What are the advantages of triploid trout over diploid trout?

Triploid fish look, swim, jump and taste like normal fish, except they never develop normal eggs or sperm and are unable to reproduce.

Researchers have also found that while triploid fish have a slightly slower growth rate than normal trout, they can reach a larger size. This can be explained by the fact that triploid trout do not develop sex organs and continue to grow at the same rate while normal trout spend a lot of their energy in the production of eggs and sperm. In many Salmonids, sterility means that fish will live longer, resulting in some trophy individuals.
Do triploid trout develop sexual characteristics?
Yes. Males may have reduced gonadal growth and go through colour changes, develop hooked jaws and may try to spawn with female trout during the spawning season even though they are infertile. Triploid female trout do not develop any secondary sexual characteristics and do not participate in spawning.

Do triploid trout survive better than normal trout?
Fish culturists have observed a slight increase in mortality of triploid trout during incubation and early life stages. However, anecdotal evidence suggests that the survival of stocked triploid trout may be higher than stocked diploid trout due to the fact that they are not exposed to the stressors associated with spawning activity.

Why stock triploid trout in Alberta?
Triploid fish are stocked in Alberta for:
Conservation Stockings in areas where there is a probability of stocked fish escapement and the risk of negative impact on native fish populations is anticipated. Many of Alberta’s native fish populations are considered to be “Sensitive” and populations are managed using restrictive regulations. Stocking diploids can result in unwanted hybridization, predation, or competition with native species. Triploid stockings eliminate the potential for hybridization and by stopping stockings, other concerns can be eliminated within one life cycle.

“Quality Fisheries” or stocked fisheries whose main objective is to have the capability to produce 50 cm plus trout within a minimum of four years of stocking.

“Put-Grow-Take” fisheries generally involve stocking small fish, which need to grow in the wild before they are ready to be harvested. Typically these are productive waters that can sustain fish populations throughout the year, but have limited or no spawning habitat for the stocked fish.

Are triploid fish safe to eat?
Yes. Triploid fish are not considered genetically modified organisms because there is no introduction of genetic material from other organisms. Triploid fish have been produced for sport fishing and commercial use for over 20 years. Triploid production is common not only in fish, but also many other foods such as bananas and seedless watermelon.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/
Old 03-22-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Um since we are talking about put n take lakes why are we talking about Glenmore Res?
As far as I know it is not stocked so size of fish there is sort of irrelevant.
Yes it has trout and is close so I guess Hunter Dave thinks it's relevant.
It's not relevant to someone who lives say in Oyen,who has to drive close to 3 hours in any direction to get quality trout....Blood Indian is ok at best but fished very hard.
Even Medicine Hat guys,if you took out Bullshead....just where exactly would they have to drive to get quality trout?
Bullshead has been an amazing success,anybody who has fished it knows it and appreciates it....and ultimately wants more of these lakes.
The thousands of anglers that go there are are testament to that.
So why not?
Old 03-25-2011, 07:05 AM

Has this topic set some kind of record yet? We need summer fast!