Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-16-2008, 05:24 PM
stubblejumper

Default ice augers

I am in the market for a new ice auger,what models do you recommend?
Old 02-16-2008, 05:46 PM

You can never go wrong with a jiffy.

AKA MAVERICK
Old 02-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Gone Hunting

I guess it might most depend on the style of fishing you do Stubblejumper. If a run & gun with a snow machine or quad is what you do, where the machine is always in a rack and not carried long distances, id say you want a heavier unit. You would prob want brute force and speed with a bigger ogger if predators are the game. If it comes down to time, where your moving lots, speed can be the answer, especially if you want to take advantage of feed periods.
If you carry your equip out or pull it on a sled, id say something lighter. If you are a hard core perch angler, or pot hole rainbow hunter, you might want a smaller more compact rig. I guess speed comes with all of them no matter who built it. But i think you could tailor to your needs pretty easy. I have the new stealth 10 inch. Runs like a top, and moves alot of ice in a short time. I primarily hunt predators, so it fits what im doing quite well. I have a 6 inch hand augger for perch and rainbows, but i find my back can still take lugging the jiffy across 3 acres of ice, the odd time i go after em. Im really just lazy and dont wanna hand drill, but id prob be burning less breakfast if i grew a brain and took the hand rig. Lots of thinkin to do with upgrading any equipment, just remember the age thing....time catches up to us all!!!!

keep a strain on er.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:55 PM

Not too sure about the jiffy. Mine ran great for the first year but is a dog now. It took 5 minutes of running before it would even turn the auger let alone drill this past weekend. granted it was -26 but the other augers that were new had no problem. I have heard a few with the same experience. 15 minutes for 2 holes is not very good by my standards. Another common problem they have is that for the first couple holes when they are cold you have to push the primer button every 5 seconds too keep it going. major pain in the butt when you are drilling by yourself. I have only used an eskimo auger once. I was very impressed with its performance. Not sure about their longevity but their price is cheaper I do believe. If you are going to be doing a lot of pike fishing I would recommend a 10 inch, otherwise an 8 will do.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:16 PM

Check out Husqvarna or Nils Master. They are the lightest augers with the most reliable engines going. Husky speaks for itself and Nils has a Tanaka engine. They may be a bit more pricey, but well worth it, as their repair records are next to non existent!!!!
Old 02-16-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
Not too sure about the jiffy. Mine ran great for the first year but is a dog now. It took 5 minutes of running before it would even turn the auger let alone drill this past weekend. granted it was -26 but the other augers that were new had no problem. I have heard a few with the same experience. 15 minutes for 2 holes is not very good by my standards. Another common problem they have is that for the first couple holes when they are cold you have to push the primer button every 5 seconds too keep it going. major pain in the butt when you are drilling by yourself. I have only used an eskimo auger once. I was very impressed with its performance. Not sure about their longevity but their price is cheaper I do believe. If you are going to be doing a lot of pike fishing I would recommend a 10 inch, otherwise an 8 will do.
I know exactally what your problem is i just had it with my jiffy. Too much oil. I followed the chart and everything, i gummed my spark plug right up and i had the exact same problem. Change the gas but when you fill the tank only put 2 caps full of oil in there, dont mix it in a jerry can i find there is just too much oil. Get a new spark plug, when you have the old one pulled spray some carb cleaner in there and pull the start cord while the plug is out and it will push alot of that oil and built up carbon out, do it a few times. Then put the new plug in and it will run like new.

AKA MAVERICK
Old 02-16-2008, 06:23 PM

Default Jiffy

We use optimol in the gas instead of regular oil and we have had 5 years of no problems. Even the first time out this year started second pull. Don't matter warm or cold starts up every time first or second pull.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:56 PM

Default auger

I've worked om small engines most of my life,, a auger is like a lawn mower, it only runs very seldom and needs to be shut down properly to give you a long life. Now you can buy a cheap mower and a cheaper auger they both will work the same as the pricey ones. A jiffy is a briggs and stratton and an eskimo is a honda if you get my drift. They cost a bit more but are more than worth it,,but like the honda's they do weigh a bit more
Old 02-16-2008, 07:40 PM

Tanaka all the way. My dad has had his for almost 30 years.Only minor tune ups. I have had mine for 5 years, and not a lick of problems.Starts first or second pull. Mine has a 8" husky leg and drills just as fast as a Jiffy, but starts like a pro, not like a jiffy.

A.H
Old 02-16-2008, 08:15 PM
stubblejumper

I see that there are many models by Jiffy and others.Any specific models that you prefer?I have been using an 8" auger in the past,and was happy with that size.Most of my fishing is for perch,walleye or trout,and I don't own a snowmobile or quad.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:55 PM
TundraBuck

Jiffy Stealth XTS 10". Best auger I've ever bought, hands down, without a doubt. Don't care what anyone else says.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:58 PM

TANAKA !!!! Only way to go!! Fast, light, resale value, never let you down!!!
Old 02-16-2008, 09:11 PM
Banned

Default power Augor warning

Never use a power agor on smooth ice with rubber boots , the augor stays still and you go round and round , haaaaaaaa , a human spinning top.

Last edited by BUD; 02-16-2008 at 09:12 PM. Reason: .
Old 02-16-2008, 10:15 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
Never use a power agor on smooth ice with rubber boots , the augor stays still and you go round and round , haaaaaaaa , a human spinning top.
So that's what happened to you.Was it just the spinning,or did you fall and hit your head on the ice?
Old 02-17-2008, 12:13 AM

Mule sounds like you need the carb adjusted not hard to do with two people to set it to run at its optimum speed. Usually just tweak the high idle screw in or out a bit do mine everyonce in awhile jiffy mod 30. I mix a jug gas up everyyear in dec and use all winter no problem just reg gas with quacker state oil. 24-1 Dump gas out every year when done in spring. Havent had a problem in 15 yrs with lotsa use as buddys dont own auger.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:11 AM

Thats what I figured when it started acting up. I pulled the carb apart and cleaned it up. It was actually spotless already. A buddy and myself played with the settings but couldn't get anything else out of it. the spark plug was in excellent shape as well. It has me puzzled for sure.