Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-27-2011, 08:45 PM

Default "Worst Day of Fishing Trophy for 2011 Goes To..."

Caution - Long and Stupid Funny. Feel free to add your stories...

I am by no means a professional when it comes to hard water fishing. I do however, have about 600 hard water days under my belt in the last 20 years and can easily have my gear in the truck and be driving in under 5 mins. When I was asked to join a friend who is a "newbie" for a day of fishing, I naturally obliged. He insisted on driving, and what I didnt know, is that he and his van, comes with "everything" to get out of trouble.

The day started off wrong when I woke up at 4 am. It got progressively worse from there. We ended up driving and made fantastic time only to get stuck 25 feet from shore. No problem, pulled out the shovels for the first time and in 10 mins were on our way. Got to "the hot spot" and started to unload some gear when my buddy says "Sh!t - I locked the damn keys in the car". We only had a very trimmed out tackle box and a coffee cup to help "Macgyver" a break in strategy. Through a combination of leaders, cuss words, and fishing line we broke into the car in about 2 hours. It was finally time to fish!

25 mins later, with no action on the hummingbird, we made another poor decision and decided to move. Got stuck again. Pulled out the shovels for a second time and this time my buddy decides to put the "chains" on. Great idea! We were off and running again only to hear a large "whacking" sound 10 seconds later. One of the chains broke free and tore up his front bumper pretty bad. Need less to say, this lead to us getting stuck a third time.

This time we tried the "rocking" method of getting un-stuck. Unfortunately, we did this with one chained tire. Did you know, that chains will dig down through the ice? I didnt and after spinning for 1 min, the front tire was about 8 inches below ice level. This is a great way to auger a hole without an auger, but isnt so good for getting un-stuck. Not to worry though. We pulled out the jack, pumped her up 20 inches and slipped some 2X4's across the hole for our second "Macgyver" of the day. Worked Great!!

I'd had almost enough by this time, but we kept trying to "fish". 10 holes later, not even a minnow had passed by the hummingbird, so "we" decided to move again, but insisted on staying on the hard packed roads. Got to destination #3 without incident. Drilled 30 holes with not even a signal that fish were around. We packed her in for the day only to find out that the battery in the car was dead. Needed to walk almost 1/5th of the lake to ask the "Red Trailer" guy for a boost!

That was 10 hours on the lake with a total of 2 hours of fishing at its finest. What do you think... Do we qualify for the worst fishing day ever?
Old 02-27-2011, 09:03 PM

You've got me beat.

Coulda been worse.

You could have both been savagely raped by a horde of bushmen.

"Dry Hooks Don't Catch Fish"
Old 02-27-2011, 09:08 PM

Oh.. We beat those guys down with a 5 of Diamonds and a spool of 10lb test...
Old 02-27-2011, 09:10 PM

I would say you win a prize for that day.

But, the Van did not fall through the ice.....it could always be worse.

Not trying to threadjack, when I was in Revelstoke one weekend sledding at about 3:00 AM there was a bunch of screaming, some loud words, something getting smacked around, a door slam followed by a HUGE crash, a vehicle door slamming and then driving away.

Buddy was pizzed with his hotel mate, slapped him around, threw his snowmobile off the deck of his truck to the pavement then drove away, leaving him stranded. They were the only guys there from the USA.

Funny to see, that was about the only worse story I can think of than yours involving 2 guys, a sport, and a frozen place.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-27-2011, 09:35 PM

At least you got to fish for 2 hours, coulda been worse.