Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-31-2023, 10:48 AM

Default Winter Fishing the Bow

Hey folks,

This is my first winter attempting to fly fish the bow. I've primarily been using streamers and nymphs with little to no luck.

I know the fish are lethargic and fishing won't be anywhere near as productive as warmer months, but I'm curious what other guys are using. Should I abandon the nymphs all together and focus solely on streamers?

Any info is appreciated!

Thanks,

Clay
Old 12-31-2023, 01:00 PM

Exclamation

YES...that is all a bunch of buddy's and I ever used... about 3 to 4 inches or white Maribou with peacock hearl back and a silver body...we ran shooting heads and casted straight out...most fish caught on the swing 2/3's of the way through the pass
Old 01-02-2024, 03:44 AM

Absolutely nothing wrong with using nymphs in winter as the bugs they imitate are an ever present food source.
Old 01-02-2024, 05:21 PM

Just my opinion wire worms,Midge nymphs hairs ear etc try putting a nymph then the streamer then it looks like a bait fish trying to eat the nymph always low and slow in winter and find the deeper holes that fish over winter in.Tight lines just a quick 2 cents.
Old 01-02-2024, 07:35 PM

Be on the lookout for rising fish. I have often taken trout feeding on midges in winter with dries.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 01-02-2024, 11:50 PM

nymphing is always more productive than streamers this time of year but both can work, location might be your struggle, fish are farther down the runs for the most part or inside the chop. keep it simple with flies worms, midges and smaller mayfly patterns is all you need
Old 01-03-2024, 08:59 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. I’ve been trying to get deep in the troughs with nymphs dropped off worms.

The day I posted this I went out with my streamer set up again and watched a guy walk in across river from me who was euro nymphing. Picked a fish up on every second pass… haha
Old 01-04-2024, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
Thanks for the tips guys. I’ve been trying to get deep in the troughs with nymphs dropped off worms.

The day I posted this I went out with my streamer set up again and watched a guy walk in across river from me who was euro nymphing. Picked a fish up on every second pass… haha
a lot of it is location/water speed, half the year the fish are spread out a lot but not it’s either no fish or all the fish
Old 01-06-2024, 08:36 AM

https://www.calgarysflyshop.com/blog...=shopify_email

Mostly nymphs in the list. I keep it simple. A red or brown worm, a zebra midge (black or red #18 or #14) or a griffith’s gnat if I see rises.

Try running the nymphs on a dropshot rig
Old 01-06-2024, 08:19 PM

And:

https://bowrivertroutfitters.com/blo...-report-winter