Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2011, 08:54 PM

Default Have you ever...

Have you ever driven your car after a few drinks?

Just wondering how many have.

I would guess most would change the decision now in hindsight, or through maturity or some other reason,...

It will lead into another question shortly.

This a non judging thread with the understanding the drinking and driving is stupid, but there a lots of pople who have been stupid at one time or another.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:03 PM

NO.

Alcohol + car/truck/quad/boat/plane/helo = stupid.
The best thing to do is if you want a drink is have one at home, call a cab, get a friend who isnt drinking to drive you. Or walk home..

Well we all know the consequences of drinking and driving.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:03 PM

Default Yes I have

I have commmitted this particular societal sin in my past but no more.

The reason why is 3 fold:1 on a night after having a few drinks I CHOSE (yeah it was a conscious choice) to drive home. Afew days later I learned that on that same night my biological father had driven home drunk and T-boned a woman and killed her. 2 I now have a child who epends on and looks up to dad. 3 I just cannot justify the risk for the reward. Sure I get home (maybe) but who do I kill or even how long do I not drive for if our friendly LEO's get a hold of me.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:06 PM

I don't think many people will admit that they were stupid and drove after having a few drinks.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJ View Post
I don't think many people will admit that they were stupid and drove after having a few drinks.
I will.

I am pushing 40 now and need to take off both shoes to add up the years since i have.

I should have never survived. (Not joking) I have done some incredibly stoopid things when I was young. Not sure how I avoided killing myself or someone else.
Thats as detailed as i want to get on here.

Next question is?
Old 01-09-2011, 09:18 PM

Many times.... ...sober 15 years and counting....
Old 01-09-2011, 09:23 PM

I did once. And got caught. Luckily, the officer who stopped me, and ran my DL came back with a very stern lecture. He asked for my drivers license, and my keys.

He said 'Do not come and claim these before 24 hours are up. I am not charging you with a DUI, but you ARE receiving a charge of driving with undue care and attention (6 points) Driving on sidewalk (3 points), and a 600.00 fine."

Making a long story short, I took my lumps, paid my fine, and I made a choice to not drink any more unless I am home.

I haven't been to a bar in over 17 years, I can count my alcohol consumption in these last years on one hand.

As a side note, I was so embarrassed by my own actions, it took me 2 days to screw up enough courage to go to the RCMP detachment and request my license and keys back. It was the luck of the draw that the same officer that cut me this break was also the one to give me my keys back. He looked at me and said 'Judging by your face, I think this will never happen again, you look like a whipped puppy'

I am forever grateful to that officer who will never be named. Damn near brings me to tears just to think about what he did. Both in terms of compassion, and the trust he showed in me. A trust I still keep to this day.

We need more officers like him. It would definately restore the lustre of the RCMP if we did.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:27 PM

HELL NO!

The only time I ever went to a bar was to work as a bouncer or bartender, or if I was on the hunt for......you know.

Bar's were never for drinking for me, as weird as that sounds, my wife says that I am overhorned.

I am totally against any form of intoxication while behind the wheel, for many reasons that I won't go into in this forum. Draw your own conclusions.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-09-2011, 09:33 PM

Never more than 1. Totally not worth the risk.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 01-09-2011, 09:42 PM

Drink and drive a motor vehicle? No.

Drink and ride a horse? Yup , guilty.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:01 PM

Everyone who has had a drink or drinks and also drives has at some point driven after having one or a few. The question of course, is the time period between the 2 activities... Seconds? Minutes? Hours? Days?... you get my point

Myself, I have never driven whilst still feeling the effects of alcohol. If I have 1 beer, it is usually accompanied by water and a meal and at least 1 hour from when I finish it to when I get into the car. If I am driving, I usually follow (at a minimum, and I almost always exceed this 'rule') a 1 drink per hour rule.

Driving drunk is by far one of the stupidest things anyone can do. If anyone here is doing this, I ask you to strongly reconsider your actions and especially the consequences. Will you be able to live with yourself when you kill me or my family member? My best friend? Your best friend? Or, is your entire life worth one night of 'fun'?
Old 01-09-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Glad your perfect.

I have in the past. I was young and bullet proof like 99% of the non-perfect teenagers out there that have done the same. Now I have a family to take care of and the risks involved are not worth the risk. I lost a very close friend May 21st that left a widow and 2 boys the same age as mine to deal with the fall out. It really hammered home how important family and friends really are and taking undo risk are not worth it.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky660 View Post
Glad your perfect.
Hey sparky please point out where I said I was perfect.

btw...I'm guilty also.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:08 PM

I have a 3 times. It was the crowd I was with, but I am rid of them and the bad habit. Have not driven under the influence for a year, never will again, and barely have any alcohol. I prefer Pepsi anyway.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Hey sparky please point out where I said I was perfect.

btw...I'm guilty also.

I must have took your post the wrong way. My bad.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:21 PM

Yes I have. However, I have not had a drink in almost 6 months and I love not having guilt or hangovers! I truly do not miss drinking.It's funny how drunk people are not nearly as funny to sober people as think they are.

We used to laugh about how drunk we were when we drove back in the day. A group of buddies would talk about " Man, I couldn't even see the road! " or "I kept a hand over one eye and I still had a hard time keeping it between the ditches" the best;and I have heard it more than once: " I don't even remember driving home last night" Guys would LAUGH when these stories were told and listened too like it was funny. Times have changed though,and it's not nearly as acceptable or tolerated as it once was. Nobody feels sorry for a guy who gets pinched for impaired anymore.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
.It's funny how drunk people are not nearly as funny to sober people as think they are.
That is why I only drink with other drunks.

For the record, I have not been drunk since last year (unless the first few hours of this year count.)
Old 01-09-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
That is why I only drink with other drunks.

For the record, I have not been drunk since last year (unless the first few hours of this year count.)
x2 I only drink a lot when others are to, I really cut down about 10 years ago when I got married, now just a couple drinks every now and then, good thing to, to many people with cameras now a days.

Last edited by chasingtail; 01-09-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:10 PM

There have been a few times many years ago when I drove when I should not have. It was not a frequent thing by any stretch of the imagination, nor was I ever in an accident or caught; I simply matured. I'm certainly not proud of it, but I'm being honest about it. And I'm happy as heck its not the remotest issue for me anymore. I've probably averaged a drink a month, probably not even that much, for the last 3 years. Even including the times I have a few in one night; there can be 4-5 month stretches with no drinks whatsoever.