Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2011, 07:05 PM

Default Dual Sport Motorcycle Recommendations?

Anybody have a dual sport motorcycle? I live out in the country and drive a lot of backroads. I'd like to spend less money on gas during the spring/summer/fall so would like to invest in a bike, new or old. Any suggestions?
Old 01-09-2011, 07:11 PM

Haven't rode one but I love the looks of the KTM's and have been told that BMW's are great I personally enjoy my M50 but not the greatest offroad bike. To low and pretty for offroading
Old 01-09-2011, 07:12 PM
sheephunter

Kawasaki KLR650. I miss mine!
Old 01-09-2011, 07:25 PM

I have a 91 Suzuki DR 350, love it. I also ride a Suzuki DRZ 400 for work. If you're driving very far the KLR 650, or Suzuki DR 650 would be great. Price wise the Dr 650 is cheaper than the DRZ 400, as it's an older style air cooled engine, and the DRZ 400 is liquid cooled.
I like my DR 350 on the HWY better than the 400 as it has a 6th gear. Another option is the Supermoto version of the DRZ 400. It has more street tires and bigger disk brakes. It's the model guys do all the stunts with.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:26 PM

Default great in theory

but believe me by the time you spend money on the m/c and insure it you won't' save much on gas. I get really cheap insurance because of my age and driving record but stil $1000. a year as no one sells the 6 month package in Ab anymore. I originally thought my justification was gas related but really I would just rather ride a m/c in nice weather.
Rob
Old 01-09-2011, 07:36 PM

Well there's the fun factor too. I only pay $135.00 for ins oon the Dr, and $450.00 on my VTX 1300. You can also use the Dual sport for hunting/fishing, pokeing around in the backcountry too!
Old 01-09-2011, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the comments/suggestions, guys. fatboyz, what kind of mileage do you have on those bikes? If I'm looking for a used one, a what point do I say 'that has too many miles on it'?

I spend about $500 a month on gas on my Toyota Tundra and get about 15 mpg. I figure I can come out ahead if I had a bike, but yea, part of it is I want to ride a bike in the summer months.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:55 PM

Definitely Dr. Thumper:
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...uki-DR650E.htm

Very torquey. A great around-town scoot, more than enough power for the highway (although the comfort limit is about 20 minutes) and generally bulletproof. Solid, powerful and maneuverable on trails and offroad. Insurance is a couple hundred bucks a year, and it's very easy on gas. A great way to get across town during the day. The more you ride and less you drive a truck, obviously the more gas you'll save. The thing about bikes though is that your mileage really varies by the way you ride.

Easy to load into the truck (just drive up into the box, swing diagonal, and close the gate).

Highly recommended for the mountains, rough roads, narrow trails, and commuting to work on pavement. Easy parking. Not a highway machine.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:59 PM

Well my 91 has about 35,000 km, but the speedo was broken when I got it. If it still has the dual sport (more street than trail) tires, as apposed to the street legal Knobbies (90% trail 10% street) it probably hasn't been ridden too hard. Also have a look at overall condition. Dual sport bikes must have a steel tank, so if it's all dented up it's probably seen a lot of spills on the trails. Usually these bikes don't see much use with Alberta weather. One other thing, the seats on the new DRZ's are like riding on a 2X4 turned on edge. The seat on my older DR is much cushier, same goes for the DR 650 and older KLR 650's. Check the Buy and sell or Kijiji for a used KLR 650. you can't go wrong with them and you should be able to find a good used one for 3500.00 - 4500.00
Old 01-09-2011, 08:10 PM

not sure where you are but the Edmonton Motorcycle Show is this weekend. If you are interested
Old 01-09-2011, 08:14 PM

Another vote for the KLR 650
Old 01-09-2011, 08:18 PM

Jeremy Kroeker wrote a book called "motorcycle Therapy" he lives in Canmore and I used to climb with him at Nordegg. He and a friend bought used KLR 650'5 and headed from Calgary to south America. He basically had no issues. He's also ridden one in the middle east.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallCoeff.435 View Post
Definitely Dr. Thumper:
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...uki-DR650E.htm

Very torquey. A great around-town scoot, more than enough power for the highway (although the comfort limit is about 20 minutes) and generally bulletproof. Solid, powerful and maneuverable on trails and offroad. Insurance is a couple hundred bucks a year, and it's very easy on gas. A great way to get across town during the day. The more you ride and less you drive a truck, obviously the more gas you'll save. The thing about bikes though is that your mileage really varies by the way you ride.

Easy to load into the truck (just drive up into the box, swing diagonal, and close the gate).

Highly recommended for the mountains, rough roads, narrow trails, and commuting to work on pavement. Easy parking. Not a highway machine.
Agree with this reccomendation, having ridden both the klr and the DR, the dr is hands down a better bike. For extended highway riding you will have to get an aftermarket seat and bigger tank to but in the end you have a lighter more powerfull bike than the KLR and I like that it has an air cooled engine. The KLR's however can be bought way cheaper, require no modifications for highway travel and are pretty good bikes, but they will never compete with the DR for offroad use.

Just my impressions
Old 01-09-2011, 10:05 PM

Thumbs up Klr 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreator View Post
Anybody have a dual sport motorcycle? I live out in the country and drive a lot of backroads. I'd like to spend less money on gas during the spring/summer/fall so would like to invest in a bike, new or old. Any suggestions?
D-pendz I guess . . .

If you're just looking for a bike to scoot around your local back-roads and into town, there are lots of bikes that will do the job well ... some have already been mentioned here. But if you're looking to go a bit further down the road, and get into some serious Sport/Adventure touring, then the choices narrow real quick.

In the Sport/Adventure category, there are bikes that cost a lot more, are more powerful, and some will argue that are better (BMW/KTM/etc.), but for this class of motorcycling, my choice has always been the 'tried & true' Kawazaki KLR 650 ... it's been around in one form or another for over 20 years now, and still going strong -

Link: http://www.kawasaki.ca/model/klr650:1217

Keep the rubber side down, and the bugs out o' yer teeth

TF
Old 01-09-2011, 11:44 PM

I like my DRZ 400 for gravel roads, logging roads and dirt trails, and it's fine for short trips around town or on the highway. Anything approaching an hour on pavement though, and the dreaded monkey-butt starts to set in. And that's with an expensive Corbin seat.
A friend really likes his V-Strom, but I don't think it's as well suited for off-highway as the DR.