Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-27-2010, 07:49 PM

Default best things for teething puupies ???

hey everyone ,
Well I got a chocolate lab puppy for christmas , and this dog is an absolute terror !! Just wanted to get some input and or the best things out there for a teething puppy ?? I have nyla bones and rawhides and now he has been given and antler to chew on , and he just wants to ripp up everything else , he does not care about any of his toys !! Any help is greatly appreciated

thanks
mamba ,
Old 12-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba View Post
hey everyone ,
Well I got a chocolate lab puppy for christmas , and this dog is an absolute terror !! Just wanted to get some input and or the best things out there for a teething puppy ?? I have nyla bones and rawhides and now he has been given and antler to chew on , and he just wants to ripp up everything else , he does not care about any of his toys !! Any help is greatly appreciated

thanks
mamba ,
He'll be fine mamba. Just keep up with the stuff that you've been giving him and just slap him on the nose with a newspaper (not your hand) everytime that he chews on furniture and say "NO" in a decisive matter. You're not alone nor is it new. It's a PUPPY.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
He'll be fine mamba. Just keep up with the stuff that you've been giving him and just slap him on the nose with a newspaper (not your hand) everytime that he chews on furniture and say "NO" in a decisive matter. You're not alone nor is it new. It's a PUPPY.
Agree, Puppy's grow up quick after 2 or 3 years you can think back when you look your dog in the eye and think damn she was a cute little flufball.

Ours went thru the same stage for about 4 weeks or so.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:14 PM

Get an old tea towel and soak it. tie a knot in it then give it to him after you freeze it. They love it!
Old 12-27-2010, 09:17 PM

Go over to potty's and borrow his good hunting boots....
Old 12-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Get an old tea towel and soak it. tie a knot in it then give it to him after you freeze it. They love it!
My wife does that, she soaks it in dark rum and coke.....I really love it.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:16 PM

Well speaking from experience, thank god he out grew it, give your pup a 50ft garden hose. He'll make fifty 1 footers and should keep him occupied for about half an hour. Then there's the old car and truck repair manuals trick. That keeps them busy for at least half a day as they study up on they latest repair methods. Gloves is another favorite if you don't mind Jethro Tull Aqua Lung nose pickers [ fingerless ]. Boots with new laces always amazed me how he could chew through the bottom loop without damaging the rest of the lace. Best practice I found was running him every morning for about 45 minutes took the wind out of his sails for the day. Good luck and congrats on the pup.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:24 PM

Keep redirecting him to the toys. Don't hit him with anything, he'll get a fear of hitting. Poke him in the neck with 2 fingers and make a sound or say no. My wifes on her 4th dog and he's deaf and still reacts to the poke in the neck.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:30 PM
sheephunter

Ice cubes did the trick with our pup...he still loves them to this day.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:35 PM

After my blue tick passed we decided to get another dog, he was 9, and we have two poodles also adults. We came to the conclusion rather quickly that puppies suck. Yea they're cute when they're sleeping, and the puppy breath is awesome, but they are terrors with a capital T.
Give them half frozen carrots, or totally frozen. The veggie is good for them and they will chew for hours. When caught chewing on something they are not supposed to, a pinch to the ear and a firm no works well. We now have a 19 month old great dane that behaves very well with no fear of being hit or having a hand raised to her.

Bruceba, never heard of Jethro Tull nose picking gloves, that's a first for me. Thanks for the chuckle.
Tullfan
Old 12-27-2010, 10:40 PM

Agree with previous poster, re-direct him to his own toys. This period is all about patience, but bigger yet his teaching him rules, boundaries and house manners. Good time to crate train.

If the chewing is on objects like shoes and such, calmly take them away and replace with an acceptable item. When re-directed to his own toys he will play with them. A sock is a great toy as well and good to play retrieve down a hallway or something. Never punish pup for carrying things in his mouth, You DO NOT want to discourage this behavior.

A puppy of this age should be supervised at all times when out of it's crate. You really want to get a kennel and put the puppy in it when you can't watch him. You can't watch him 24/7 and a kennel will solve a lot of problems with chewing. Put him a toy in there.

Luv puppy breath , where are the pics , congrats and enjoy this age, they dont stay this small very long
Old 12-28-2010, 12:36 AM

thanks for all the help everyone .. He is a smart little bugger and figures things out pretty quick !! I definately have my hands full , hes only 11 weeks and is 25 pounds !!
easton.jpg

easton2.jpg

easton 3.jpg
Old 12-28-2010, 12:51 AM

Had an english bull terrier that loved to chew and wouldnt chew his bones or rawhide.

Leather shoes were his favourite.

So one day I took some left over roast and carefully jammed it up inside the rawhide bone. Well that was the end of that bone. He went for it and left the shoes alone. took us a while but eventually he didnt need the bones scented at all.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:56 AM

my lab liked swab cups and saver rubbers, had to be certain brand to, didnt like the cheap ones
Old 12-28-2010, 01:16 AM
Banned

Pliers.............
Old 12-28-2010, 01:21 AM

lol
Old 12-28-2010, 10:28 AM

Our last chocolate pup we had was a holy terror.We had the name Rowdy picked as one of the names for him before we even got him."Rowdy" that was an understatement.BIG Bundle of dynamite wrapped in brown fur he was!But sadly we had to put him down when he was just two.He quit the chewing by then,sorta.But he sure hadn't grown up any!
Old 12-28-2010, 10:52 AM

raw rib bones uncooked
Old 12-28-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
thanks for all the help everyone .. He is a smart little bugger and figures things out pretty quick !! I definately have my hands full , hes only 11 weeks and is 25 pounds !!
Attachment 30544

Attachment 30545

Attachment 30546

wow great lookin lab
Old 12-28-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritlabradors View Post
raw rib bones uncooked
Beef or pork ?? I also heard raw chicken wings aswell .. any truth to that ??
Old 12-28-2010, 11:01 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Chicken bones are NOT good for dogs. They splinter and can cause all sorts of intestinal issues. Raw chicken also carries numerous bacteria that you don't want spread around your house.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:

Stick to the beef. Have tried both chicken and pork with questionable resaults. for $20 go to the nearest butcher and ask for a box of cut rib bones about 6". Not only are they great for teeth and coat the marrow has some great vitamins.

p.s. this should start a huge contraversy sorry in advance
Old 12-28-2010, 11:18 AM

Check out a pet store for a "Kong toy". They come in 2 or 3 different sizes. The toy itself will keep the pup going but you can also add some peanut butter to the inside of it. Sure kept my pup occupied trying to get the last of the peanut butter.

Great looking hound!
Old 12-28-2010, 11:32 AM

Default Frozen socks

Soaking towel and freezing sounds like a good idea but we soaked old socks tied knots in them and froze. Great when teething.
One thing most people forget about when training a holy terror is when not training (100% devoted to watching dog) they should be in crate so don't chew wires, household items and shoes, boots. If dog makes a mistake in house it is your fault for not watching him and not his fault. They only do what they enjoy so discourage bad stuff and encourage good behavior. They don't learn by osmosis so if not taught they don't know.
Chocs can be more stubborn than yellow or black so if you don't get control early you wil end up giving up sooner or later. What is cute now and you let him get away with may not be so cute when he is 85 pounds. You set household rules not the new pup. Keep in mind who is training who.
Rob
Old 12-28-2010, 12:01 PM
Gone Fishing

Give him your wifes shoes, she'll figure out how to stop his chewing habit!
Old 12-28-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Ice cubes did the trick with our pup...he still loves them to this day.
Works for ours too....and both dogs still love the ice cubes!
Old 12-28-2010, 04:14 PM

Be very patient and anything you do not want chewed put it out of puppy reach. If the puppy destroys an item of worth it is the owners fault not the pups.

As others have said puppy needs to be supervised all the time when out of his/her crate. (If you are crate training him.)

Great looking pup by the way!
Old 12-28-2010, 04:20 PM

Default Ask my sister

Now this is chewing, my sister's couch, by her dog!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Various 065.jpg (167.0 KB, 54 views)
Old 12-28-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
Now this is chewing, my sister's couch, by her dog!
WOWSERS .... I hope that never happens to me !!
Old 12-29-2010, 02:37 PM

Well, this sure is a timely thread!!! We've got a 14 week old pup that is going through the teething phase, and as I type she is lying beside me chewing a frozen tea towel!! Working like a charm! She is in her crate anytime we can't watch her, even if it is only for 30 seconds so that I can stash antlers for her to find or load the dishwasher, etc. She still whines sometimes when shes in, but she is getting over it.

Thanks for all the great tips on here, guys! Good luck with the pup, Mamba! He's a great looking dog!