Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2011, 12:20 PM

Default An extra $4000!! NO WAY.

Is what my neighbor said to the ford dealer when they insisted on 4x4. When am i ever going to need that? Im a nice guy so ive helped him get out twice but today im sorry just watching out the window.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:21 PM

lol
Old 01-09-2011, 12:22 PM

haha, thats funny. I wouldnt get a truck without whether i needed it or not
Old 01-09-2011, 12:50 PM

lol.....should have bought himself a front wheel drive car....he'd be better off than he is now.

Mooseknuckle.......still the best handle on AO IMO.......Master Baiter is awesome as well

tm
Old 01-09-2011, 01:05 PM

In the old days,before four wheel drive trucks were common,we used studded grips on our two wheel drive trucks,and when we got stuck,we filled the truck box with snow.All the extra weight,usually gave us enough traction to cut through the snow drifts.These days,I find it much easier to shift into four wheel drive than to shovel the truck box full of snow,only to have to empty it out again later.But some people never learn.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:35 PM

Default Lol

A buddy of mine used to say the same thing, he's not into the outdoors and lives in the city..lol about our or five years ago he bought a ford SUV, you can't get him out of a 4x4 now...took him a long time but he finally clued in. I don't even know why two wheel drive trucks are even made. They are useless in any kinda of snow.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:15 PM

Alberta = 4x4 nough said
Old 01-09-2011, 02:46 PM

When shopping for a truck last year, I actually had a dealer try to convince me that I DIDN'T need 4x4. I was looking at used trucks, and I think he just wantedto get a rear-drive truck off his lot. It's got plenty of power," he said, "you don't really need 4WD anyways." I didn't know whether to laugh, cry, or scream obscenities at him, so I just said "don't call mr -- I'll call you." Ridiculous.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 01-09-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
haha, thats funny. I wouldnt get a truck without whether i needed it or not
Yep.

Although a good set of chains costs a lot less than 4,000 bucks. And even if you do have 4x4, if you're driving 99% highway you will probably be running highway or 4-season tires which are useless in heavy snow.

In that case a good set of chains (and a shovel) can come in very handy and won't break the bank.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:57 PM

4X4 is for city folk I am in a 2wd service van with some good tires, have done over 1000k's in the last 24 hrs road calls not once stuck or remotly slipping, It's called operator throttle retardness. Also if you have 4X4 you will try going through stuff you know you won't make because you have 4X4.......
Sorry not a huge fan of it Yes I have it on my own pick up but very rarely use it.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Banned

Sorry to hear that about "you's" non 4x4 owners. But why is it that guys and ladies in the minivans always look up to us with the agressive deep thread tires and the winch with a big smile when in the ditch; with that "doe in the headlights" look? I can say with pride that as I just got home from picking up milk in town and rescued same lady with a Thule wart on the top of her mini-van. I'm sure she didn't need a 4 by either, 'till one came along that is. Yeah...I'll ignore silly comments about redneck Albertans with their diesel 4x4's, deep grip snow tires and winches and continue on with being a good samaritan. Alot of these people that I've rescued are from "down east"...most home grown Albertans know better.

Last edited by gitrdun; 01-09-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:21 PM

Default 4x4

I'm in Manitoba. I love 4x4. If a truck is for summer only, 2wd is a lot less to maintain and weighs less. I use my 4x4 mostly in town because you need to hook up to get onto streets where I'm from, the drivers are some of the worst you encounter and won't let you in, and anything to your advantage is worth the money. We run two 4x4's, both with studded tires all around, and they don't cost much more to run than all seasons, because I have two sets of tires/rims for each truck. On the highway I have hardly ever used 4x4. I do have issues with people that "expect" to be towed out of a snow bank because they wound up there due to bald tires. Anyway, some people do not need 4wd on their trucks, like my 80 year old grandmother who drives a 3/4ton 2wd Chevy, we set her up with decent all seasons and extra 400lbs of weight in the back. If the roads are bad, she is smart enough to not chance it. I have bills to pay, so I like the 4x4 to get me to work safely.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:23 PM

I find my torquey(sp) diesel is too unpredictable in two wheel drive on snow covered roads. My arse has tried to pass me more than once. I also would not live without it. Sometimes I have to use it to push my fifth wheel up the slope into the campsite in dry conditions.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by srpiasta View Post
4X4 is for city folk I am in a 2wd service van with some good tires, have done over 1000k's in the last 24 hrs road calls not once stuck or remotly slipping, It's called operator throttle retardness. Also if you have 4X4 you will try going through stuff you know you won't make because you have 4X4.......
Sorry not a huge fan of it Yes I have it on my own pick up but very rarely use it.
Of course you did. But where I live, you'd not make a single service call. The back roads are so badly drifted over, that you'd be just another victim that I'd have to rescue. Now...you drove 1000km in the city in 24 hours during this blast of winter, I call BS on that, certainly not delivering Pizza's, unless of course you're a tow truck driver; in which case I want your paycheque.

Last edited by gitrdun; 01-09-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:38 PM

i'll never own a non 4x again .i have way to much fun with mine and its nice not getting stuck .some people do have to realize that 4x helps acceleration ,not stopping.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:51 PM

I might only use my 4X4 a couple times a yr but worth every penny when you need it!
Old 01-09-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Sorry to hear that about "you's" non 4x4 owners. But why is it that guys and ladies in the minivans always look up to us with the agressive deep thread tires and the winch with a big smile when in the ditch; with that "doe in the headlights" look? I can say with pride that as I just got home from picking up milk in town and rescued same lady with a Thule wart on the top of her mini-van. I'm sure she didn't need a 4 by either, 'till one came along that is. Yeah...I'll ignore silly comments about redneck Albertans with their diesel 4x4's, deep grip snow tires and winches and continue on with being a good samaritan. Alot of these people that I've rescued are from "down east"...most home grown Albertans know better.
Same goes for the quads. Everyone complains and fights in the summer when you're riding. But come winter when they cant get out of there driveways or down their roads, they're more than happy when you plow them a route. Cheers to hypocrites

Old 01-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition101 View Post
Same goes for the quads. Everyone complains and fights in the summer when you're riding. But come winter when they cant get out of there driveways or down their roads, they're more than happy when you plow them a route. Cheers to hypocrites
Hey demo, I know the same hypocrites. The ones that will make a balony or ham sandwhich to go to work and call us hunters "killers". Pffffttt, I could tell so many stories about Liberals who've tasted my sausage at one of my home made wine and home made sausage parties and literally pigged out. Same goes for one of these cars with 14" tire front wheel drive cars waiting for the big arse 4x4 Silverado Duramax to winch their sorry arses outta the frozen tundra.

But being the good samaritans that we are, we still have to rescue their right wing arses. 'Cause, that's what we do.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:46 PM

Default Love the 4X4

I worked for an oilfield service company in the 70's and had a 2 wheel drive truck, could chain up in about 5 minutes flat, used to wear out a set of chains every year, a royal pain in the a---. Retired now and drive a 4x4 and a quad, told the wife I'd have made it home for supper a lot more nights if I'd have had the toys then. She also drives a 4x4 and wouldn't part with it.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
+1

The winch on my 4x4 is not for me, I have never had to use it to get myself out of trouble. It is so I can sit on a nice grippy road and gently pull people out of the ditch.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-09-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
I might only use my 4X4 a couple times a yr but worth every penny when you need it!
My wife is a LOUSY driver, she puts here Trail Blaser into $X$ at freeze up and takes it out at break up she doesn't get stuck, but used to give some of her friends a ride to work during snow storms because they could not get thier vans out of the driveway!!!
Cat
Old 01-09-2011, 05:36 PM

Sorta unrelated, but reminded me of a funny story.

Back in high school, I was 16 and had a 1981 chevy long box half ton RWD. I had a spare class, so a buddy and I decided to go for a little rip outside of town and just play around a bit.

We went down a trail, and my back end slid into the ditch. Got stuck. So we thought to put my floor mats in front of the wheels to help get a bit of traction while my buddy pushed. SOO... there's me spinning my rear tires, then it touches the mat and launches it just like a tennis ball machine. The tire caused the mat to curl like a burrito, and it shot at high speed into my buddies crotch who was pushing on the back bumper.

He went down like a sack of potatoes, didn't even whimper. Just lost all the air in his lungs and turned blue.

I hadn't laughed that hard in a long long time....

We dug ourselves out, but he was walking like a bow-legged cowboy for a week!
Old 01-09-2011, 06:39 PM

Even in the city in winter, 4x4 has big advantages on slick uphill grades going into intersections. That's where the snow gets polished down to a real nice curling rink quality surface. Where 2WD will just sit and spin, a 4-by at least has a chance.

Where the snow gets deeper than about the truck's axle to tire height though, chains would still come in handy even with 4x4 and sharp tires. Don't have much use for whole box full of sand or the ambition to shovel for a whole day to fill it. It's also been a long while since I drove with five roller-reamer subs in the box. Maybe with all that weight I wouldn't need the chains, but chains are the lesser of two evils.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:10 PM

no my job is to keep the plows and graders going on the hiways so if the plow is broke trust me no worse road then the road to the plow thats broke. I got some awesome tires and I put my toola right over the rear axle . Also carry a set of chains just in case. And also as a good samaritian yesterday I pulled 7 vehicles out and only one of the 7 was a 2wd the rest were 4x4 who all said "I didn't thaink it was that bad" even one guy tried to pay me 200 bucks because he said thats what he was gonna be charged by the tow company when they get there. I told him to keep the money just please return the favour.

I use that same theroy when quadding, I have spent almost most of my day helping others out in the bush without taking a penny from them. I just hope one day when I need the help they will help me too.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Banned

Default every year...same thing

I used to never pass someone stuck without stopping to push them out or tow them out of the ditch...(I still stop once in a while). I got so sick of pushing out mercedes (or the last time a lexus) with summer tires still on. Sorry buddy...but I can push you out of this snowbank but you're only gonna make it 100yds down the street till you're stuck again...go get yourself a winter vehicle or winter tires at least.

Another peeve...what happened to tow hooks?? My old RX7 had a tow hook for crying out loud. They should be as standard as block heaters in this country. Sooner or later you're gonna slide into the ditch.

And yep...I may get a toy for the summer or nice roads...but I'll always have a 4x4. (even if I didn't need it for work)

Just goes to show...some people don't mind relying on the kindness of others...while others are a little more independent minded.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Banned

Default ummm

Quote:
Originally Posted by srpiasta View Post
no my job is to keep the plows and graders going on the hiways so if the plow is broke trust me no worse road then the road to the plow thats broke. I got some awesome tires and I put my toola right over the rear axle . Also carry a set of chains just in case. And also as a good samaritian yesterday I pulled 7 vehicles out and only one of the 7 was a 2wd the rest were 4x4 who all said "I didn't thaink it was that bad" even one guy tried to pay me 200 bucks because he said thats what he was gonna be charged by the tow company when they get there. I told him to keep the money just please return the favour.

I use that same theroy when quadding, I have spent almost most of my day helping others out in the bush without taking a penny from them. I just hope one day when I need the help they will help me too.
If you're going to the plow...wouldn't the road be plowed out up to him...lol...

Just buggin ya.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:24 PM

LOL most plows last night I was 2 hours untill I would get to them

Its funny lost of people say that.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:36 PM

Default 4x4 all the way!

I remember the days of our 1977 chev 2wd 3/4ton with a 454 v8. We took that thing every where (chained up that is) it could go!

1986 was a great year, our first 4x4! 1986 chevy wrangler 3/4 ton 4x4, my favorite truck in the whole world. After that i did not mind going hunting and fishing, because i did not have to get out and chain up any more! Plus the oldman splurged and got one of the first 4x4's in central alberta with auto locking hubs! oh, the memorys!
Old 01-10-2011, 12:37 AM

I grew up in the "Peg" and was driving in the mid 70's.

Our traction secret was a
bottle of Javex bleach and a rag.

If it was slippery we poured some javex over the tires waited a few minutes and drove on/out

Poor boy Blizzaks
Old 01-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkynuts View Post
Alberta = 4x4 nough said
B.C. mountains,nuff said.