Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-09-2011, 09:37 PM

Default .17 Centerfire?????

What would be the benefit of these over a .17HMR?

I do reload, but I have heard of barrel life issues with both the 204cf and the .17cf

Of course, I use my .22 a lot come gopher season, but if a fella has all the reloading presses etc, what is 'second best' for a .22lr in terms of barrel life, and ammo cost (factoring in my ability to reload?)
Old 01-09-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Juice? View Post
Roughly 2000 fps , in the 17 rem, and a cartridge you can feel comfortable firing at a coyote.

Barrel life shouldn't be a concern for most casual hunter/shooters, just don't let er get hot.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:56 PM

You need to be more specific,as there are several centerfire cartridges that use .172" bullets.The most common rounds are the 17Remington,and 17Fireball,but there are also others including the 17Ackley Hornet,and 17Mach4.

In general,they offer considerably more velocity than the 17HMR,but with less barrel life as well.The cost to reload them can be about as low as the cost of 17HMR ammunition,or it can be significantly higher,depending on the particular cartridge,and the components that you choose.

If you want something that shoots flatter than the 22lr,but at the lowest cost possible,with great barrel life,consider the 17Mach2,as ammunition costs about half as much as 17HMR loads.

If you want performance superior to the 17HMR, but with great barrel life,consider the 22Hornet.With the right components,it can be loaded for close to the same price as 17HMR loads.The 22Hornet,is also a good choice for coyotes out to 200 yards or so.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
Roughly 2000 fps , in the 17 rem, and a cartridge you can feel comfortable firing at a coyote.

Barrel life shouldn't be a concern for most casual hunter/shooters, just don't let er get hot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You need to be more specific,as there are several centerfire cartridges that use .172" bullets.The most common rounds are the 17Remington,and 17Fireball,but there are also others including the 17Ackley Hornet,and 17Mach4.

In general,they offer considerably more velocity than the 17HMR,but with less barrel life as well.The cost to reload them can be about as low as the cost of 17HMR ammunition,or it can be significantly higher,depending on the particular cartridge,and the components that you choose.

If you want something that shoots flatter than the 22lr,but at the lowest cost possible,with great barrel life,consider the 17Mach2,as ammunition costs about half as much as 17HMR loads.

If you want performance superior to the 17HMR, but with great barrel life,consider the 22Hornet.With the right components,it can be loaded for close to the same price as 17HMR loads.The 22Hornet,is also a good choice for coyotes out to 200 yards or so.
Well Swifty, you know, I love speed. But a casual shooter I am not. When shooting my .357 sig, .40, I do not go to a range unless I bring along 500 loaded rounds.

for my CZ.22LR, 1000 rounds is a good start.

for my 12 Gauge, 500rounds is gettin'r'done.

And yes, I eat a lot of ichiban in order to feed my guns

Elkhunter, I am referring to the .17 remington. whatever direction you can advise me on, would be great. If I follow my normal patterns of shooting (hahahaha) I would more than likely put 6 rounds through the barrel before letting it cool down. Then while it is cooling, take out my CZ.22 until it does.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:12 PM

If you are after a 17 rem, then keep it cool, and keep it clean, and you should be fine. I owned one in a Tikka 595 for a while, and it made gophers do spectacular things. 20 gr V-max going well past 4000 fps is alot of fun, and 25 gr hollow points were good for coyotes on a calm day.

Wind does play havoc with these lightweights, but that is true of most varmint rounds. If you want it, buy it and enjoy it.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
If you are after a 17 rem, then keep it cool, and keep it clean, and you should be fine. I owned one in a Tikka 595 for a while, and it made gophers do spectacular things. 20 gr V-max going well past 4000 fps is alot of fun, and 25 gr hollow points were good for coyotes on a calm day.

Wind does play havoc with these lightweights, but that is true of most varmint rounds. If you want it, buy it and enjoy it.
By the sounds of it, .22 cal is more forgiving then? .223 or 22-250?

In terms of both cost of ammo and barrel longevity?
Old 01-09-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I owned one in a Tikka 595 for a while, and it made gophers do spectacular things. 20 gr V-max going well past 4000 fps is alot of fun.
That is music to my ears. I live for gopher season the way some folks live for golfing/travelling/fishing.

The one time of year where... you can perform a service to a farmer, not work really hard, and get hours of smiles and entertainment value for just a few bucks.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
By the sounds of it, .22 cal is more forgiving then? .223 or 22-250?

In terms of both cost of ammo and barrel longevity?
If it sheerly a case of economics, the 223 is the awnser. I am guessing by your previous statement about ichiban to fund ammo, that it is a secondary concern. For a handloader, the 223 is dirt cheap to load for, and the 17 is a bit finicky and sensitive to pressure, but they both have their merits, and only you can really decide which one will make you happiest.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:

I do reload, but I have heard of barrel life issues with both the 204cf and the .17cf

Of course, I use my .22 a lot come gopher season, but if a fella has all the reloading presses etc, what is 'second best' for a .22lr in terms of barrel life, and ammo cost (factoring in my ability to reload?)
What have you heard about barrel life of the .204 and .17 fireball. Less powder is easier on a barrel. I load my .204 with 27 gr. of powder and guys I know are using 17 Fireball with 20 gr. of powder.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
If it sheerly a case of economics, the 223 is the awnser. I am guessing by your previous statement about ichiban to fund ammo, that it is a secondary concern. For a handloader, the 223 is dirt cheap to load for, and the 17 is a bit finicky and sensitive to pressure, but they both have their merits, and only you can really decide which one will make you happiest.
Well, now that we have a winner in caliber choice.... next thing is to find a rifle to shoot it.

CZ might be a first choice. I am a real fan of their barrels.

Tikka might get a nod too.

hmmm.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:00 AM

Quote:
CZ might be a first choice. I am a real fan of their barrels.
Then check out the CZ 527 Kevlar,available in 223,and 204Ruger.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:15 AM

I have never had a 17 Rem, but do have the 17 Fireball, and the 221 Fireball as well as a bunch of Hornets, 218 Bee, 223s in light and heavy guns, 204, 22-250 etc. For straight gopher shooting and high volumes, I would recommend the 22 Hornet. Relativley quiet, excellent barrel life, you can expect well over 12,000 rounds, good on gophers to 300-350 yards, or even furhter with a range finder and drop chart. It will push a 40 grain Blitzking or Vmax at 3100 fps. Can load it for right about $6/20, and if you use a less expensive bullet, you can get down to $5/20

For pure fun factor the 17 FB is hard to beat. 3700 fps with a 30 grain Hollow point, or near 4000 with a 25 Grain Vmax. Effect on gophers is spectacular. I have had no problems with fouling, but have never gone much past 200 rounds between cleanings. I expect barrel life to be pretty good, as the round is super efficient and uses relatively little powder, 18 grains of 8208 versus 27 in the 204, to get the same velocities. Not as quiet as the Hornet but quieter than the 204 or 223.

The 22 Hornet and 17 FB are my two favourite CF gopher guns but I have 6 Hornets and one 17FB so that tells you who my most foavouritist is. If you can afford one of each, they are worth trying. Both are addictive on gophers.