Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-24-2016, 11:24 AM

Default McLeod River

I'm planning on heading to Cadomin on Sunday and Monday to fish the McLeod. I know it has rained a lot up there the last couple of days so my question is will the river have cleared by then?

Thanks
Tony
Old 08-24-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpatico View Post
I'm planning on heading to Cadomin on Sunday and Monday to fish the McLeod. I know it has rained a lot up there the last couple of days so my question is will the river have cleared by then?

Thanks
Tony
Dont hold your breath we got hammered with rain last night and it looks like more rain this week. It was high last week and I cant see it dropping this week
Old 08-24-2016, 01:49 PM

Yeah, and more rain this weekend. You might want to look at another time. I cancelled my plans to go to Jasper this weekend
Old 08-24-2016, 05:12 PM

Thanks for the replies. How are Fairfax lake or Muskiki Lake for shore fishing?

With the kids heading back to school next week, I would like to give a chance at catching something.

Tony
Old 08-24-2016, 06:54 PM

Tony... Fairfax is ok from shore and around dock you can see them

just put a pickerel rig with pink power bait or spoons..Mepps etc

Fly fish too plus if you do Still Water

Have fun

David
http://www.anglersatlas.com/lake/101....32/6977742.29
Old 08-25-2016, 08:38 AM

Thanks David.

We will still give it a go. Just being out there with my best buddies will still be better than stuck behind a keyboard at work.

All the best!

Tony
Old 09-02-2016, 09:23 AM

No pics from our Trip but here is a recap.

Sunday, we drove down to Fairfax Lake and made it in around 11 am. As suggested, the 6 of us(my boys, their best friend and my buddy with his son) set up on the dock. It was overcast but very calm so found it very easy to cast out. We used pickerel rigs and bobbers. We ended up of catching 5 trout in 4 hours and lost 2 more. I also caught a small 4 inch fish that looked like a squaw fish. I was very surprised by this. We released everything except for 1 trout.
From Fairfax we headed to Cadomin. As we drove down, I was very pleasantly surprised that the McLeod was running clear but high! Yes!! This was the reason for our trip. We fished that night till about 8 and ended up catching 1 small rocky. We then drove up to the mine to look for sheep. We didn't see any sheep but did see a nice 6X7 bull elk.
The next day we fished the McLeod the whole day. It was a beautiful sunny day in the mountains and everyone caught fish except for me! I was too busy re-tying lines for all the gear that was getting lost in the river. We ended up catching 3 trout and 12 rockies. My friends boy caught a beautiful 17 inch rocky as well! The biggest one I have seen come out of there in a long time.
Overall, it was a great trip. My boys friend is already asking when can we do this again! He's hooked on river fishing now.
Hope everyone has a great long weekend!
Old 09-02-2016, 09:41 AM

grats Tony

good for you taking another boy

great that they all caught fish !!

memories last a life time

thanks for sharing your report how u made out

David
Old 09-07-2016, 01:39 PM

I was hoping to head up to the McLeod this Saturday to do a bit of fishing for my birthday. Got skunked Chinook fishing on the South Thompson last weekend so I need to redeem myself.

Is the river fishable right now? I know it was raining like crazy on Monday when I drove through. I'm without a boat this weekend otherwise I would just go to a lake.