Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-22-2013, 08:01 PM

Default Wild 'N Windy...

Hit up a fav spot today and found some shelter from the Gales...

#5 Blue Fox in Copper/White and a Clown Flash Husky Jerk were the ticket today.

No beasts as you can see but over 2 dozen between 1:30-5:00 ain't bad.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:22 PM
Banned

nice job on the fish. poor guy having to lay on the dry dock
Old 05-22-2013, 09:46 PM

Yea that 5 seconds for the pic was murder...
????
Old 05-23-2013, 12:49 PM

Default Nice fish

Nice fish, what is that appliance you use to hold his lip?
Old 05-23-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
Nice fish, what is that appliance you use to hold his lip?
A lip gripper. Some have a built in scale.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:40 PM

Not critiquing your photos just offering a comment about the pike laying on the dock as noted by a previous poster and your comment back with the question marks.

Laying the pike on a dry wooden dock can remove the protective slime layer on the pike increasing its susceptibility to bacterial infections. So yes 5 seconds on the dock can adversely affect the fish bigtime.

If some want to flame away or snivel this is why we do not post pictures fine, so be it. Point of my post is to try and educate someone on why what they did can be hard on the fish.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Not critiquing your photos just offering a comment about the pike laying on the dock as noted by a previous poster and your comment back with the question marks.

Laying the pike on a dry wooden dock can remove the protective slime layer on the pike increasing its susceptibility to bacterial infections. So yes 5 seconds on the dock can adversely affect the fish bigtime.

If some want to flame away or snivel this is why we do not post pictures fine, so be it. Point of my post is to try and educate someone on why what they did can be hard on the fish.
Well said. It is the point of some people to knit pick and critique pics, however this post as i see it more to educate because alot of anglers simply dont know. Might be a good idea to splash some water on a surface before placing a fish down. Btw gratz on a good days fishin.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:48 PM

Comment all you like but rest assured all the fish I released yesterday (photographed or not) were still wet all over when released.
The weather yesterday was cool, windy and wet so the picnic table they were on briefly was wet enough to soak into my knees.

Not sure if you noticed but these are Pike in the pics, tough as nails fish that are known as snot rockets for a reason. Slime coat was likely in more danger if I were to unhook and photograph these fish in the hard gravel/bullrush banks of the fishing area.

It is also with mentioning that the lip gripper I used in the pics has a swivel head so all the thrashing and spinning these fish do when caught was non-destructive as well.

The limit at this spot is 3 over 63cm and i kept none.
Clearly had I been fishing a more delicate species I would have acted accordingly.

As far as comments like above causing me to stop posting pics, well I have thick skin like my quarry so I'm not deterred.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:42 PM

.... Bwackwabbit!

I really find it interesting when member's who think they "KNOW IT ALL" .... feel they're "ENTITLED" to tell it all .... when they don't have the facts & still "JUDGE OTHERS" on this forum !!!!

No wonder very few members post pic's anymore!

Zip-Z

Old 05-23-2013, 07:45 PM

Thanks, agreed Zip but it don't bother me none...lol.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:54 PM
Banned

Quote:

i didn't know that, so thanks for the tip and i will sure remember that when i catch my next pike
Old 05-23-2013, 07:58 PM

Good on ya ..... lesson learned here for others .... keep smilin' !!!

Zip-Z

Old 05-23-2013, 08:05 PM

The same can be said for unhooking a fish on every surface (floor of a boat for example), with your hands dry and in older nets that are not rubberized.

Of any fish in AB waters Pike are the least succeptible to this type of damage based on their ability to produce this coat under stress. They are a top of the line predator and must protect themselves from prey with a wide array of defenses (beaks, claws, spines and teeth to name a few). Believe what you like but these are not the "Fragile" creatures some think.

That doesn't mean they should not be treated with the respect and care they deserve. Which I afforded them, to the best of my ability that day Period.

Last edited by bwackwabbit; 05-23-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:56 AM

thanks for the pics Wabbit and the thick skin! Pictures always make posts that much more interesting. Glad you had a fun day despite the weather.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:23 AM

Cheers!
Old 05-24-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwackwabbit View Post
The same can be said for unhooking a fish on every surface (floor of a boat for example), with your hands dry and in older nets that are not rubberized.

Of any fish in AB waters Pike are the least succeptible to this type of damage based on their ability to produce this coat under stress. They are a top of the line predator and must protect themselves from prey with a wide array of defenses (beaks, claws, spines and teeth to name a few). Believe what you like but these are not the "Fragile" creatures some think.

That doesn't mean they should not be treated with the respect and care they deserve. Which I afforded them, to the best of my ability that day Period.
Too many trout fisherman on this board I think. Those pike probably swam away with gusto, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them turned around and bit the hook again. Congrats on the good outing...
Old 05-24-2013, 06:47 PM

Pike have enough slime to share some with the dock. Wouldn't worry about that one minute. Funny how fragile some people think fish are.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwackwabbit View Post

Not to be an ass but, the very first thing I learned about fishing .... was to wet your hands before handling fish. But nice pike, and yes you are right, pike are tough fish, but no matter what species on the line, I try to treat it gently and release quickly.

Besides my ocean trip last year... I think the last fresh water fish I kept was when I was 14 I BBQ'ed a trout on the bank of a stocked pond, I always C&R 100% ,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-24-2013, 07:36 PM

There is nothing wrong with offering best practices and advice on the equipment we use, how we handle fish etc... as long as it's taken in the spirit of good intent.

I have learned allot from many forum members on here and became a better steward of our resources.

We all walk a "fine line" when offering advice, but we do so, with inherent risk of sounding judgmental, but it is, that we take this risk, with the intent to protect what we have.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
There is nothing wrong with offering best practices and advice on the equipment we use, how we handle fish etc... as long as it's taken in the spirit of good intent.

I have learned allot from many forum members on here and became a better steward of our resources.

We all walk a "fine line" when offering advice, but we do so, with inherent risk of sounding judgmental, but it is, that we take this risk, with the intent to protect what we have.

------------^ THIS ! /thread ! lol

Old 05-24-2013, 09:22 PM

nice catches man, i thinks i know where you were haha
Old 05-24-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabdo View Post
nice catches man, i thinks i know where you were haha
Thanks, I'm gonna head back that way tomorrow afternoon. Rain or Shine The Bite is On!
Old 05-24-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
.... Bwackwabbit!

I really find it interesting when member's who think they "KNOW IT ALL" .... feel they're "ENTITLED" to tell it all .... when they don't have the facts & still "JUDGE OTHERS" on this forum !!!!

No wonder very few members post pic's anymore!

Zip-Z
So you know it all, but dont tell it all. Or do you just know it all so that you can identify those who dont know it all.

I really dont understand this comment. Is it or isnt it a good idea to lay a fish on a picnic table for a photo. The fish likely cooperated and never flapped around once. Whom was the photo meant to gratify? The fish or the fisherman?

DA
Old 05-25-2013, 05:47 AM

Default nice

nice pics and great catch congrats to you.

A person has to have thick skin to be on this forum . ever notice same comments always come from the same people lol quite the laugh.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBadass View Post
Not to be an ass but, the very first thing I learned about fishing .... was to wet your hands before handling fish. But nice pike, and yes you are right, pike are tough fish, but no matter what species on the line, I try to treat it gently and release quickly.

Besides my ocean trip last year... I think the last fresh water fish I kept was when I was 14 I BBQ'ed a trout on the bank of a stocked pond, I always C&R 100% ,
Not to be an ass, but inspite your best intentions your are personally responsible for the needless deaths of many fish by simple C&R fishing.
If you really want to "treat it gently" why drag it up to a boat trashing around with a hook in it's lip?

Btw to the OP- nice fish!

Last edited by Bolete; 05-25-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolete View Post
Not to be an ass, but inspite your best intentions your are personally responsible for the needless deaths of many fish by simple C&R fishing.
If you really want to "treat it gently" why drag it up to a boat trashing around with a hook in it's lip?

Btw to the OP- nice fish!
What boat ????

Old 05-25-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:

Well put