Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-25-2013, 01:34 PM

I might go back this fall, but in all honesty I kind of slowed down on steel head fishing the last few years I lived in BC. I like to be able to eat what I catch, and some many people I know fished the river hard, catching the same spawning fish multiple times a season... Being a non resident now, I don't feel like paying the price of fishing BC. I'm now more inclined to go to the ocean to fish instead of a river.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 05-25-2013, 01:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
I might go back this fall, but in all honesty I kind of slowed down on steel head fishing the last few years I lived in BC. I like to be able to eat what I catch, and some many people I know fished the river hard, catching the same spawning fish multiple times a season... Being a non resident now, I don't feel like paying the price of fishing BC. I'm now more inclined to go to the ocean to fish instead of a river.
Oh yeah....I forgot I'll be a European foreigner in BC when I go....I'm an AB legal citizen now and will hafta pay heavy to fish in BC.
Boy that was fun to say hahahahahahaha
Old 05-25-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngiant View Post
Oh yeah....I forgot I'll be a European foreigner in BC when I go....I'm an AB legal citizen now and will hafta pay heavy to fish in BC.
Boy that was fun to say hahahahahahaha
don't hate yourself

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 05-25-2013, 02:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
don't hate yourself

Hehehe...nice one
Old 05-25-2013, 02:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
go beat a dead horse somewhere else, this thread is about steelhead fishing
Thats what I want to read about not your opinions on racism.
To tell you the truth don't really care what you wish to read about on this OPEN forum .....have a nice day.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
So, by your reasoning identifying someone based upon their nationality is and describing the negative behavior they have demonstrated is racist. Got ya.
If there are others doing it also yes you are making a racist comment by singling them out by there nationality.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
don't hate yourself
For sure way waste your time enough people all ready hate you ..........

I have never received as many pm about one person as i have on this thread ........lol you have quite the following....just one of those persons people love to hate ....enjoy the day
Old 05-25-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new LT View Post
For sure way waste your time enough people all ready hate you ..........

I have never received as many pm about one person as i have on this thread ........lol you have quite the following....just one of those persons people love to hate ....enjoy the day
people hate me? first I'm hearing about it. So nice of them to talk behind my back instead of talking to me directly. I've also never heard from any of the moderators about anything I have posted. Really. Either respect my right to voice my opinion and my observations or be prepared to debate your position. Though you keep claiming I'm a racist or made racists comments an have yet to provide any facts supporting that they were in fact derogatory towards a specific race, color or creed.

I do not feel that my comments are racist in any way. I Identified a group of people who are known to be rude, and disrespectful to other anglers in the area. I didn't do this to draw negative attention to any specific group, I did it to inform the OP that there are some people who fish that watershed at that time of year who can be frustrating to be around and helped him in identifying that group. Don't get me wrong, most of them have been pretty good people, in the fragmented conversations we did have. They just don't know, or understand River Etiquette, or at least the etiquette practiced by local fisherman in that area.

Honestly, if I could of identified them all by name, color and brand of waders, vehicles, or anything else that would have helped I would have. But simply put someone who is white, is white, someone who is black is black, someone who speaks with a German accent and is white is a European, someone who is of color and speaks with an accent is from whatever country or continent they are from or their ancestors.

I personally have never attacked anyone on this forum for what they post, how they handle fish, the questions they ask. Not to my recollection anyways. I have come to the defense of quiet a few people on here who have had rude posts put into their threads for asking a simple question. I'll admit there have been a few times where I've been short with some posts, but I have never come out and attacked a forum member for voicing their opinion on here. Do onto other as you would have do onto you. I speak my mind and would like to hear what others have to say. If I don't like what they say, I stop listening and move on.

PS. If I choose to spend my time defending myself from someone who is calling me racist, who doesn't know me, and has never met me, then that is my choice but I would appreciate it if you would apologize.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:42 PM
Banned

Well said W&F....but I think his racist hate comments were directed at me hahahahahaha.....Like I care about foolish people's thoughts
Old 05-25-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Well said W&F....but I think his racist hate comments were directed at me hahahahahaha.....Like I care about foolish people's thoughts
His logic frustrates me. Because if what we said was racist then saying that "women make me horny" is sexist. Anyways back to the steel head. If ya plan on going to the Morice River let me know, it's the river I have the most experience with.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new LT View Post
To tell you the truth don't really care what you wish to read about on this OPEN forum .....have a nice day.
Some people just have the common sense to stick to the original topic, and let people read the information they are looking for. Not someone cryin and whining about what they preceive as a racist comment that hurt their feelers, and they need to derail the thread about it. Not everybody cares if your mr. sensitive or not

I am trying to pick up on the steely tips you guys are putting out on here, its on my wish list in the near future!
Old 05-25-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Some people just have the common sense to stick to the original topic, and let people read the information they are looking for. Not someone cryin and whining about what they preceive as a racist comment that hurt their feelers, and they need to derail the thread about it. Not everybody cares if your mr. sensitive or not

I am trying to pick up on the steely tips you guys are putting out on here, its on my wish list in the near future!
You can get all the tips in the world on how to catch steelhead but I kid you not not a single year went by where I didn't encounter at least half a dozen groups who had been skunked the entire week they were fishing. There is a feel for catching steelhead. Reading the water right, finding the right bottom, finessing the pools, finding the right color or pattern to mimic the feed that's floating down stream that particular day, or hour even. Sometimes it's a matter of inches in where your casts lands if you'll hook a fish or not. These things can't be taught they must be experienced. A good day steelhead fishing is getting one to shore. Anything more then that is a great day.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you got, even show you a few of the rigs I make for steelhead. They are simple and inexpensive. I'm no master steelhead fisherman though, but I did fish with some pretty good ones. Buddy has been on the cover of a few magazines.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:06 PM

I will pick your brain when the time gets closer for sure, Thanks!
Old 05-25-2013, 04:36 PM
Banned

start checking you tube....or just punch in how to steelhead fish.

Ya there is a mystical stigma about steelies.

W&F is correct.....it takes practice and learning and precision at times and attention to your line and what it's doing. Sometimes only a slight movement in your float is a quick hit. The most important thing to know is that mostly salmon just mouth your bait....they are not feeding. So attention to sensativity is key.
They are spooked easy in clear conditions.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:45 PM

float fishing is cheating. Bottom Bounce ftw.

I used a 9.5' ultra light Omni Forester rod with a shimano 1000 series shinning reel on the Morice for 2 years. With strong enough test to pull of bottom I had maybe 80 yards of line tops. Needed to go that light to learn the difference between a strike and bottom. I use a 10.5 Med-light Shimano Convergence rod now with an ambassadeur 5500 or 6000. Miss the ultra light though... 15lb steely on that was gut wrenching exciting.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:46 PM

I got the itch now... ffs. Looks like I'll be in BC in sept/oct now.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
people hate me? first I'm hearing about it. So nice of them to talk behind my back instead of talking to me directly. I've also never heard from any of the moderators about anything I have posted. Really. Either respect my right to voice my opinion and my observations or be prepared to debate your position. Though you keep claiming I'm a racist or made racists comments an have yet to provide any facts supporting that they were in fact derogatory towards a specific race, color or creed.

I do not feel that my comments are racist in any way. I Identified a group of people who are known to be rude, and disrespectful to other anglers in the area. I didn't do this to draw negative attention to any specific group, I did it to inform the OP that there are some people who fish that watershed at that time of year who can be frustrating to be around and helped him in identifying that group. Don't get me wrong, most of them have been pretty good people, in the fragmented conversations we did have. They just don't know, or understand River Etiquette, or at least the etiquette practiced by local fisherman in that area.

Honestly, if I could of identified them all by name, color and brand of waders, vehicles, or anything else that would have helped I would have. But simply put someone who is white, is white, someone who is black is black, someone who speaks with a German accent and is white is a European, someone who is of color and speaks with an accent is from whatever country or continent they are from or their ancestors.

I personally have never attacked anyone on this forum for what they post, how they handle fish, the questions they ask. Not to my recollection anyways. I have come to the defense of quiet a few people on here who have had rude posts put into their threads for asking a simple question. I'll admit there have been a few times where I've been short with some posts, but I have never come out and attacked a forum member for voicing their opinion on here. Do onto other as you would have do onto you. I speak my mind and would like to hear what others have to say. If I don't like what they say, I stop listening and move on.

PS. If I choose to spend my time defending myself from someone who is calling me racist, who doesn't know me, and has never met me, then that is my choice but I would appreciate it if you would apologize.
For one thing the comment about not hating yourself was referring to MG not you for the second thing i did not say anything about you or you being racist i was having a discussion with MG. and we had closed it off when you decided to butt in. You can voice your opinion all you want but do not try to put words in my mouth. as far as apologizing don't hold your breath. all i told you was what i thought a racist comment was if fall under this then that is on you. You can be an internet hero if you wish just don't expect me to play. So you can let this drop or continue thats on you all so.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
I got the itch now... ffs. Looks like I'll be in BC in sept/oct now.

Hahahahaha......suweeeeet
Keep in touch...I'm going for at least a week in Sept
Old 05-25-2013, 04:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
float fishing is cheating. Bottom Bounce ftw.

I used a 9.5' ultra light Omni Forester rod with a shimano 1000 series shinning reel on the Morice for 2 years. With strong enough test to pull of bottom I had maybe 80 yards of line tops. Needed to go that light to learn the difference between a strike and bottom. I use a 10.5 Med-light Shimano Convergence rod now with an ambassadeur 5500 or 6000. Miss the ultra light though... 15lb steely on that was gut wrenching exciting.
Oh we finally disagree.....I think bottom bouncing (flossing) is cheating.
But I still like you
Old 05-25-2013, 04:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
You are right MG i see you got it......if you care about my thoughts or not means nothing to me. I say my piece and that all.

Last edited by new LT; 05-25-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:57 PM
Banned

Quote:

Well if you were thought about it you would realize every time you post a comment like this you are continuing to derail the thread........ Congratulations
Old 05-25-2013, 05:01 PM
Banned

Well I hate to continue the hijack of this thread,butttttt....don't non-resident aliens require a guide,and shouldn't said guide KNOW the local river etiquette and ensure that his guests adhere to same?
On the bright side,and I don't know when this came into effect,but relatively recently if I'm not mistaken...Non-res aliens aren't allowed to fish weekends on most(all?)classified waters,so there's at least 2 days/week that good'ol local boyz and non-res CDNS shouldn't have to put up with ignorant euros,yes?

And fwiw,I find the misuse of the word "racist" in this thread quite laffable,LMFAO....of course that's assuming that those being accused of "racism" are in fact Caucasians of European descent,like the majority of us CDNs are?I mean....I'm an English/Irish mutt myself,and reserve the right to call Caucasian euros and yanks a-holes without being labeled "racist"........prejudiced maybe,but not racist.
Now if they were Asians or Africans.......racist might be the correct term?

Anyhow....what a waste of bandwidth.... ...back to the steelhead talk please.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
Well I hate to continue the hijack of this thread,butttttt....don't non-resident aliens require a guide,and shouldn't said guide KNOW the local river etiquette and ensure that his guests adhere to same?
On the bright side,and I don't know when this came into effect,but relatively recently if I'm not mistaken...Non-res aliens aren't allowed to fish weekends on most(all?)classified waters,so there's at least 2 days/week that good'ol local boyz and non-res CDNS shouldn't have to put up with ignorant euros,yes?

And fwiw,I find the misuse of the word "racist" in this thread quite laffable,LMFAO....of course that's assuming that those being accused of "racism" are in fact Caucasians of European descent,like the majority of us CDNs are?I mean....I'm an English/Irish mutt myself,and reserve the right to call Caucasian euros and yanks a-holes without being labeled "racist"........prejudiced maybe,but not racist.
Now if they were Asians or Africans.......racist might be the correct term?

Anyhow....what a waste of bandwidth.... ...back to the steelhead talk please.
Pretty sure non residents only require a guide while hunting. If there have been changes made that non resident alien license aren't valid on weekends its a new change I'm unaware of.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Pretty sure non residents only require a guide while hunting. If there have been changes made that non resident alien license aren't valid on weekends its a new change I'm unaware of.
Must be new then,because it is in fact true.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Actually, not completely true. There are some rivers where non-resident aliens are required to be guided, and these restrictions primarily apply to weekends, but other than that they are able to fish any of the rivers up there.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
I believe your wrong grinr.
I go back for family visits in Chilliwack and fish the Vedder on a day or 3 day licence to fish salmon.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
I believe your wrong grinr.
I go back for family visits in Chilliwack and fish the Vedder on a day or 3 day licence to fish salmon.
Well I'm not talking about Vedder,I'm referring to new regs and restrictions for Skeena watershed effective April 1/2012
See here: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/lic...ion_skeena.pdf

Edit:and oops,didn't mean to imply that guide requirements "must be new cuz in fact true"....I had assumed (incorrectly?)that all NRAs needed a guide......only that there are in fact "new" non-res alien restrictions in effect as of 1/4/12 as outlined in above link.
....and Mtngiant,no worries,your not an an NRA,but rather a NRC.....you're ok.

Last edited by grinr; 05-25-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:29 PM

If only Alberta had maps to go along with closures and restrictions it would be nice.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well I'm not talking about Vedder,I'm referring to new regs and restrictions for Skeena watershed effective April 1/2012
See here: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/lic...ion_skeena.pdf

Edit:and oops,didn't mean to imply that guide requirements "must be new cuz in fact true"....I had assumed (incorrectly?)that all NRAs needed a guide......only that there are in fact "new" non-res alien restrictions in effect as of 1/4/12 as outlined in above link.
....and Mtngiant,no worries,your not an an NRA,but rather a NRC.....you're ok.
Phew!!!!....nice....tanks braddah